Sign in to follow this  
Irn Bru Canary

Bradley J

Anyone else think we looked defensively less secure without Johnson. I always think a lot of his work is unseen and unspectacular but he does break up a lot of opposition attacks. Don''t think it is always appreciated how important he is to us.. Trade off I suppose was that we did have a much more attacking midfield.

[quote user="Irn Bru Canary"]Anyone else think we looked defensively less secure without Johnson. I always think a lot of his work is unseen and unspectacular but he does break up a lot of opposition attacks. Don''t think it is always appreciated how important he is to us.. Trade off I suppose was that we did have a much more attacking midfield.[/quote]Badly missed today and the defence looked weaker without him.

Our passing was much better today without him. The whole balance of the team was much better and we had the highest possession % I have seen us have in the premier league. What let us down today was poor final balls and poor finishing. Cant see how bj would have helped improve those.

The goal we conceded was poor defending and one or two of the other chances we let them have through lack of defensive cover. However, we need to be more attacking not more defensive. Today was a step in the right direction, and bringing bj back would undo that step.

Personally did not notice he was not playing, thought Fer was immense and Howson did OK, most of the Villa threat was down our right than than down the middle. Villa came out of the blocks extremely quickly and could have been two up inside 6 min, but after that did they really create that much to trouble us? Thought it very telling that Lambert subbed Abonglahor who has been in a rich vein of form this season.....

Sorry Frank but no. I want CH to infuse our club with belief as much as the rest but thought that we badly missed Tetty today. Howson must play in an advanced role if picked. Fer is not a defensive midfielder but seems more of a Fox type playmaker.

For me our mids should be Fer and Tetty.

We didn''t miss him. The game was not lost in central midfield. Fer and Howson were two of our better players and they made a good go of it.

They murdered us down our right side. Snodgrass abandoned defending and left Villa to run at Martin and the space between him and Turner.

Moreover, Johnson has not been playing well enough this season to miss him. He''s generally been poor.

Aside from Snodgrass not tracking back (he was was busy appealing to the ref when Villa broke away for their goal), we''d probably have done better if we put someone like Tetty behind Fer and Howson instead of having Elmander in the advanced role. We were looking quite useful in spells today, but it''s just not quite clicking together yet.