Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Hughtons 'Tactics' & Baffling Subs

I should think 90% of Snodgrass''s crosses were caught by Guzan. We all know when he takes a corner the left arm goes in the air for the in swinger. His best period today came when Pilks was warming up. Not been Piks greatest fan but his crossing when he came on today was excellent.

Redmond is a crowd pleaser because he runs at people but how many times does it result in something constructive?

A goal against Southampton that earned us our only win of the season?. I would also add that most the Villa attacks/threat came down our right in the first half, mainly because Snodgrass did not track back. Redmond was well marked by Villa today, would have liked to see him and Snodgrass swapping wings, I can see why CH took Redmond off, but for me the penalty incident, not tracking back, poor crosses and poor corners from Snodgrass all point to him also being a canidate for substitution.....

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

A goal against Southampton that earned us our only win of the season?. I would also add that most the Villa attacks/threat came down our right in the first half, mainly because Snodgrass did not track back. Redmond was well marked by Villa today, would have liked to see him and Snodgrass swapping wings, I can see why CH took Redmond off, but for me the penalty incident, not tracking back, poor crosses and poor corners from Snodgrass all point to him also being a canidate for substitution.....

[/quote]agreedthe problem is that Hughton seems incapable of changing things, or adapting to how the game is goingthe never seems to be a ''plan B''maybe that explains why last season we struggled when we played teams the second time around - they knew what we would be doing

Absolutely the right decision to take Redmond off and in an ideal world we''d have had Snodgrass off too.

Pilkington needs to be starting. Redmond has obviously got a lot potential but apart from the goal against Southampton (take nothing away from that) he''s not producing much. It''s a lot of eye-catching step-overs and tricks but not a lot at the end of it.

Pilkington is probably our most dangerous wide player.

And, as I''ve said elsewhere, it''s just not working having Elmander playing where he is. He''s contributing very little and there is quite clearly no understanding between him and RVW. If Hughton hasn''t seen that by now then we''re in trouble.

Agree about Redmond. Whilst I''m sure that most fans want to see a bit of flair and trickery Redmond does seem to be playing for himself and his passing can be woeful.The problem with Elmander is not so much where he is playing but the way the rest of the team is playing. The ball is not getting near the box enough. Far too often possession is lost before it gets into the box. Elmander needs to playing the role Holt used to play under Lambert. Get him up front with Hooper playing off him.And when we attack then lets us attack - not hit the ball wide and hope for a cross to maybe one player in the box.

[quote user="City1st"]Agree about Redmond. Whilst I''m sure that most fans want to see a bit of flair and trickery Redmond does seem to be playing for himself and his passing can be woeful.The problem with Elmander is not so much where he is playing but the way the rest of the team is playing. The ball is not getting near the box enough. Far too often possession is lost before it gets into the box. Elmander needs to playing the role Holt used to play under Lambert. Get him up front with Hooper playing off him.And when we attack then lets us attack - not hit the ball wide and hope for a cross to maybe one player in the box.

[/quote]

Holt used to drop back and make his own space when the ball was beyond him. That''s 3 times I''ve missed Holty today. It would work City1st.

If Holty was here he could do it himself! That''s four times!

But if we can get these players playing together we may not miss him and I''d get over it.

I just don''t get this #10 stuff. I asked in the pub after the game but just got more confused. I said yesterday, to me #10 is a caff, or a packet of fags or Gordon Bolland! If Elmander plays #10 is he a forward or is he a midfielder? They said "he''s playing in the hole nutty"! But what if there''s not a hole?

now now, young master nuttyyou should not make u things to reply toI never said anything about missing Holt or wanting him back

as to the number 10 then I am very surprised that you are not up with the hip jive of the cool cats ... err Daddioa man who has no ishhoooos with other such ''with it'' cliches should baulk at this one is a surprise, maybe you should put a shift in up top when you are channeling your runs, or is that too offensive ? me I''m off the smell the flagpole and see if the ducks are having a row before I have a coffee, as I think it might be blue skys tomorrow that''s if I wake up

I wasn''t suggesting you were missing Holt or wanting him back! Your post made me miss him for the 3rd and 4th time today. A leader and a far cleverer footballer than he was given credit for and he could play without needing a hole.

I stand corrected

no I don''t the bloody stewards have just told me to sit down

I definitely would have liked Snodgrass to have been subbed for Pilkington and Redmond moved to the right. Snodgrass has been very poor for a while now. He either over hits his crosses or cant beat the first man. Crossing is his bread and butter and he has been ineffective with it. He constantly moans and throws his arms up. Pretty sure i saw him tell Turner to ''F off'' after Turner had a go for Snodgrass not delivering the ball into the box late in the game. Snodgrass is getting too big for his boots and needs a big kick up his arse. I will praise him though for his endeavour and trying not to let the penalty miss get to him. I even saw him put in a good challenge in our own box in the first half.

The reason i would have kept Redmond on is the fact he is a player who is not out of form. He is still young and learning yes but its these players imo that are capable of doing something different and unexpected. Im pretty sure Lambert would of seen how he''s much of a threat and told his players to get in hard on him which i think was evident to see. Thats exactly why i would have moved him to the right and let Villa try to adjust to it. There was a lot of space down the right and with Redmonds pace i think we could have done something.