Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Hughtons 'Tactics' & Baffling Subs

Ill start with Redmond off for Pilkington. Now, if Redmond starts ahead of Pilks, than thats because CH feels that is our strongest team and he must value Redmond over Pilkington.

Now to bring Pilks on for Redmond surely only serves to weaken the team as CH obviously felt that our strongest team was the one that started, otherwise Pilky would have started. I hope your getting my point, prob havent explained it well.

I dont think taking Redmond off was down to him having a poor game or being injured so by bringing on Pilks and taking NR off surely it just weakens the team? Snodgrass was poor again today and offered nothing apart from industry. Ive never been a huge Snodgrass fan as i always thought he''s over utilised and his end product is often poor. But surely today the sub was Pilks for Snodgrass and Redmond right wing? Surely playing right winger on the right, taking off a player not playing well to accommadate Pilkington would be strengthening the team?

As it was CH weakened the team by reverting to the team he deemed not his first choice when he bought on Pilks for Redmond.

Secondly, and brielfy what the hell is CH doing perserving with playing Elmander in the Hoolahan role? This is a position for a Hoolahan/Mata/Rooney/Silva kind of player, the hole, behind the striker.

The job of this player is to pick out the striker and the two wingers ahead of him. Elmander just looks like Holt so why the hell is he playing there? If he''s gonna play he should be the main target man striker like Holt was, not the ''magician'' in behind tasked with creating.

Is it any wonder were not creating any chances thru the middle for the Wolf?

Oh, and finally, Hughton Out. The last 30 games have been pi$$ poor with the exception of the last two games last season against teams who had nothing to play for. This is too Roederesque now, players played out of position, baffling subs, and players underperforming.

Redmond coming off was very unpopular last Saturday as well. It''s hard to understand but Hughton is a big fan of Redmond so would have good reason for taking him off, I suspect it is because of his age, he is still a very young man and perhaps the motivation is to protect him?

That''s all I can think, personally I think it was a bloody stupid decision!

The hole in your logic is the assumption that Redmond wasn''t having a poor game. For whatever reason, he was totally ineffectual today. Pilkington offered much more when he came on.

I agree about Elmander though.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Ill start with Redmond off for Pilkington. Now, if Redmond starts ahead of Pilks, than thats because CH feels that is our strongest team and he must value Redmond over Pilkington.

Now to bring Pilks on for Redmond surely only serves to weaken the team as CH obviously felt that our strongest team was the one that started, otherwise Pilky would have started. [/quote]So in your world of infinite simplicity, any substitution is weakening the side because by definition you are replacing a first choice player with a second choice player.  Never mind tactics, injuries, the ability of different players to do different things which may be useful at different times etc etc.Seriously, I''m pissed off with Hughton too, but please engage brain before posting.

Snodgrass was being berated by martin late on and he responded by saying he had an injury and followed by asking Hughton why he hadn''t come off as he had been saying he''d felt a knock a while before

I''m with ron obvious on this, my 14 year old daughter who hadnt watched a game this season yet said "Dad I dont think Redmond is very good,sorry"....dont know wht she apologised.....but today he was very poor, contrary to how he has played in the other home games. As for Elmander, offered little today.....shame CH lost his third sub option with the Bassong injury, because my guess is he would have replaced him with Hoolahan. So, I cant understand why the substitutions were "baffling" at all.....  

Redmond was really poor today so the decision was the correct one. I think the booing/chanting was out of frustration of the fans towards Hughton that has been brewing since last season. The sub just gave them a stick to beat him with.

Our more intellectually limited fans, shall we say, like to boo Hughton''s substitutions.  They probably thought Hughton should have taken off a defender and played 3-4-3. Unfortunately, that only works in fantasy football. Pilkington has been out for a while so the decision was taken not to start him. Redmond was ineffective and Pilkington will probably start the next few games.

I hope Pilkington does start the next game, but not for Redmond, for Snodgrass.

In fairness to Redmond, he''s only young and is being asked to play every game, he''s not going to be highly effective every week. That, and Villa doubled (and sometimes tripled) up on him every time he got the ball.

[quote user="JF"]I hope Pilkington does start the next game, but not for Redmond, for Snodgrass.[/quote]Me too!Redmond, while not being the world beater that he has been in previous games, was having a solid game ...Snoddy by comparison was having a ''mare on so many levels.Most of the ground could see that

Difficult to know where to start with this. What I do know is that Hughton''s fate will be sealed by results not by trying to manipulate every single thing he does into something to whinge about. Redmond was out of the game. He''s going to have games like that. Snodgrass was in the game always showing always wanting the ball. But he''s going through a horrendous run of form where his end product is appalling. He will get through that. Out of the two he was still the most likely to have an impact.

Did anyone notice that Lambert put on a forward who promptly scored and cautious Chris responded by bringing on another defender...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Difficult to know where to start with this. What I do know is that Hughton''s fate will be sealed by results not by trying to manipulate every single thing he does into something to whinge about. Redmond was out of the game. He''s going to have games like that. Snodgrass was in the game always showing always wanting the ball. But he''s going through a horrendous run of form where his end product is appalling. He will get through that. Out of the two he was still the most likely to have an impact.

Did anyone notice that Lambert put on a forward who promptly scored and cautious Chris responded by bringing on another defender...

[/quote]

Chris brought on a defender because of the injury to Bassong FFS. Then two attacking players. Nothing bout today was negative only some of the supporters!,,,,,

[/quote]Very much this ^^^^^^

[quote user="QwertyMick"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Chris brought on a defender because of the injury to Bassong FFS. Then two attacking players. Nothing bout today was negative only some of the supporters!,,,,,[/quote]

You don''t say...

[quote user="QwertyMick"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Chris brought on a defender because of the injury to Bassong FFS. Then two attacking players. Nothing bout today was negative only some of the supporters!,,,,,[/quote]OMFG. Do you need it spelt out? ...listen to nChris Hughton''s post match comment to get an insight (maybe even that''ll be a little too suble for you)Anyone can be out of form, however, Snodgrass, in contrast to Redmond, wasn''t tracking back and helping out his fullback. He was asking for a ball over the top and down the line when his marker was pretty tight and had him beaten for pace. He was coming inside when there was acres of space outside/down the line. He was absolutely shocking today. Pilkington showed,  by contrast, how to be effective when he came on. His intelligent running off the ball and combinations wth Garrido were exactly what we''ve been missing (and I''m not Garrido''s biggest fan ...thought he would be horrendously exposed by the pace in Villa''s forward line, but he had a solid game) Snoddy should have been subbed. Most people could see that.

OMFG My opinion is as valid as yours. I can''t believe you watched that with your own eyes and thought Redmond was more effective than Snodgrass. Seriously [8-|]

Surprised at the support for Pilkington. I thought once again he had a few good spells but was largely anonymous. Has ability, but just does not get involved enough.

Seems fans like the flare that Redmond offers as he excites when running at a player, but in truth neither snodgrass or Redmond were setting the world alight today, could have been either. had snodgrass not missed the penalty i dont think people would have cared as much. Taking a winger off for another is more than acceptable as pilkington has a very good final ball, ideal when you have RvW and hooper on the pitch, both predators in the box.

We did enough to win today and missed too many goal scoring opportunities. I can''t really blame hughton too much today imo

Vos,re Pilks - he had less than 30 minutes again and rarely got the ball. It was not his fault and in this time he put in more crosses of meaning than Snodgrass did in the whole match.

But not as many as Redmond who he replaced...

[/quote]
Redmond had a very quiet day today. The problem that people had was the decision to withdraw Redmond instead of Snodgrass - who was crap. 

Team selection was just about right in my opinion. I wouldn''t have played Elmander but i wasn''t particularly upset about his inclusion.
Subs were what most people wanted. Personally i''d have bought Hoolahan on but everyone was crying for a Striker so it was going to be Hooper. Shame we had to waste one on Bassong really.
The issue wasn''t selection. The issue is - whatever the issue is. We don''t seem to quite click. Something the manager''s got to sort, for sure - but no use shooting him down on everything.