Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

When Newcastle Sacked Hughton....

And the footballing world went into uproar, about how disgraceful the sacking was, and how Newcastle would go backwards or get relegated, and everybody was in amazement at how they appointed Pardew (last club League One).... in hindsight, did it do them any harm?
They sacked him in 11th place and finished in 12th place, the next season they finished 5th and despite a poor year last season they had a decent European campaign. 
Newcastle later came out and explained their reasons:
“We had a different view of where we wanted to be and what sort of character we needed to push this dressing room further"
What does this mean exactly? That the directors had greater ambitions than Hughton? They did get further, they finished 5th.
“I wanted somebody who was going to sit down with me and give it back to me, somebody who wasn’t frightened"
Frightened? Of what? Not frightened of conceding goals by any chance?

It''s that last bit which I have read many times and was at the back of my mind last season as I watched us play. I have no respect for the man speaking those words " I wanted someone who was going to sit down and give it back to me, someone who wasn''t frightened" bit they did start to ring true with me more and more as I watched us play and as I listened to Hughton.

It''s not what we want in a manger either IMO.

[quote user="The New Boy"]
“I wanted somebody who was going to sit down with me and give it back to me, somebody who wasn’t frightened"
[/quote]Who is this quote attributed to?

I see no reason for giving him 10 games now, the games coming up we will get nothing from, only Cardiff looks possible for points.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The New Boy"]
[/quote]Who is this quote attributed to?[/quote]

DEREK LLAMBIAS

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The New Boy"]
Derek Llambias, who at the time was the Newcastle Chief Executive. The person who sacked Hughton at Newcastle. 

Hate it when people say ''gotta give him 10 games''

That''s a quarter of the season wrecked with the damage done already.

The machine is broken so fix it.

Houghton hasn''t got balls or the ability.

Get someone new before it''s too late to!

We lost a lot more than I think we could appreciate when Holt went...we have a void of legitimate power and leadership at the moment and this is classic ''storming'' whilst the hierarchy establishes itself...question is how damaging is this phase going to be on performances....the introduction of such a lot of new faces needs to be managed skilfully and all we can hope is that Hughton has this in hand. You might think that preseason and tour of the USA would have given them every opportunity but I think that only now this is starting to happen as the serious business of the PL season starts and the real tensions start to materialise.

[quote user="alartz"]Hate it when people say ''gotta give him 10 games''

That''s a quarter of the season wrecked [/quote]
No it''s not, because the first 10 games is 8 league games + 2 cup games, making it more like 1/5th of the season. 
[quote]  with the damage done already [/quote]
We have more points from our first 5 games this season than we did last season, the season before that, or the Worthington season. As much as I agree that Hughton has failed to fix the problems of last season and may have to depart...... it is a little too convenient to spin our start as terrible when it is in fact stronger than either of our last two season (sorry but that''s a fact, the points tell the story). 

Yes, but 2 seasons ago we were the new boys and our first 5 games included more big clubs. As such, expectations were not so high. Add to that we looked impressive in those games, losing to Chelsea because of questionable calls against us, and that was at Stamford Bridge.

[quote user="The New Boy"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The New Boy"]
Derek Llambias, who at the time was the Newcastle Chief Executive. The person who sacked Hughton at Newcastle. 
[/quote]"Frightened" is one word for it - "respectful" or "measured" are others.  It''s hard to justifiably criticise Hughton based on the words of a relative unknown who has been replaced by Joe Kinnear, of all people.There''s really no need to look for additional theories as to why Hughton should be sacked.  Let''s get back to basics:
  1. Our football team hasn''t played well consistently since December 2012
  2. The players (past and present) appear frustrated and unhappy with the system they are being asked to play in
  3. We''ve spent a shedload of money this summer and so far there is no evidence this will change things for the better as it appears we are sticking more expensive square pegs in the same round holes
  4. This season we continue to underachieve and have taken a total of three

points from Southampton (H), Hull City (A), Aston Villa (H) where any

reasonable "minimum target" would have been five.
  5. Away from home (in particular), we look incapable of getting any results.

It''s not the points total that worries me so much, as other users have rightfully pointed out we have more points now than at this stage in our previous season.

It''s the consistently poor performances, lack of belief and inspiration and what looks like a complete managerial unwillingness to get out and get in our opponent''s faces and attack. We sit back and invite pressure for far too long and when we do decide to attack (or concede and have no choice) it''s slow, ponderous and predictable. There''s no pace, there''s no creativity, and players like Snodgrass who are in poor form are picked week in week out when they should be dropped.

He''s lost the dressing room, lost the plot, and should now lose his job.