Sign in to follow this  
BOO

Why is there so little movement!

I am not a fan of Howsons, I think he is too lightweight and easily pushed off the ball. I did however feel sorry for him today, he was given a role to receive the ball and move it on but so often we were static off the ball, failing to move or show for a pass giving him very few options. We were pedestrian in the way we developed our play, contrast that with the speed of movement of players on and off the ball when Villa were in possession.

This is not a recent problem but was well entrenched last season, players being blamed for poor passing when in fact nobody was developing field position off the ball to provide an option.

We are playing to a system, a rigid formula which has now become such a problem that the players, with notable exceptions such as Redmond, are not able to express themselves.

It''s the managers fault, if he is unable or unwilling to change things he should go.

Excellent point, tho i thought that Howson did thread a couple of lovely balls through and did better than Johnson who struggles to find a yellow shirt ever

He did thread a couple of lovely balls through, and credit to him for that. It''s just the general speed with which we develop play that frustrates me and it must also frustrate the players.

Tim,I too thought that he pulled off some good passes, but then we have been starved of this, so anything looks godo by comparison. However, I also lost count of the number of times he was simply brushed off posession without being fouled. His has to play further up the pitch as he is no CM and with a less counter attacking side, it may have got very ugly in the middle of the park today.

I agree. When I left the match today, the bulk of my comments were that we are to slow in our build up play, holding the ball up too much.

You don''t see many nicely weighted passes behind defenders at pace. When the ball does arrive in the box, it is already full of Villa players.

Static..yes, there seemed a lack of urgency at times. You need decoy runs to draw away defenders, give and go, looking for space.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, there are some positives - Hooper played etc.

Getting concerned now. This is not 5 games in, we have played poorly since January............

I just don''t see how howson fits into the team. We have to build around Fer and he plays best alongside a defensive/holding mid which Howson isn''t. And Howson is not got enough for number 10.

The only players to show real urgency for me were Redmond and Fer. The build up play is far too slow. I thought Howson played better in the second half but in the first half was losing too many battles and falling over. Fer was outstanding and easily my motm. He never gave up, was very difficult to tackle, very rarely lost a tackle and if he did he would win it back, his passing was good and varied, an all round performance. We just need another 9 like him.

The real problem is the ultra defensive mindset of Hughton/Calderwood - players obviously not happy with this and life in general at the moment hence Ruddy''s recent comments and Pilks and Garrido bust up today.

The attacking flair we once had has been stifled by CHs tactics and Carrow Road now seems far from a happy camp - time for a few changes - Mcnally over to you

IThe attacking flair we once had has been stifled by CHs tactics and Carrow Road now seems far from a happy camp - time for a few changes - Mcnally over to you

Yep

Howson played well in my opinion! He rarely has a poor game and him alongside fer can be a good combination! Fer the break up player and a ball winner and player, howson an attacking ball player where I see fer as a switching player and a strong player if you get what I''m getting at?

Thie OP wasn''t meant at a dig at Howson, more a comment about our static play.

Howson actually moved for the ball - a rarity in the team at the moment and a reason why I''ve posted elsewhere i''d like to see Wes back in the team.
Our overall movement as a team at the moment is atrocious at times, and poor at others.

[quote user="Wolf"]I am not a fan of Howsons, I think he is too lightweight and easily pushed off the ball. I did however feel sorry for him today, he was given a role to receive the ball and move it on but so often we were static off the ball, failing to move or show for a pass giving him very few options. We were pedestrian in the way we developed our play, contrast that with the speed of movement of players on and off the ball when Villa were in possession.

This is not a recent problem but was well entrenched last season, players being blamed for poor passing when in fact nobody was developing field position off the ball to provide an option.

We are playing to a system, a rigid formula which has now become such a problem that the players, with notable exceptions such as Redmond, are not able to express themselves.

It''s the managers fault, if he is unable or unwilling to change things he should go.[/quote]Pretty much my thoughts ...... that I expressed after the Hull and Spurs games..When we have the ball players are not making space or giving the player with the ball options - that is why passes are going astray.It is a bizarre form of the even more bizarre old boll ocks called zonal play.I''m glad others have noticed this as previously I was told it was solely the player fault !

Because they have not bought in to, or don''t understand, or have no faith in, what they are being coached to do. probably all three?

One of the main reasons for our slow build up is that we have Snodgrass & Redmond on the wrong sides, both are always cutting back to play the ball on their favored foot. Also, especially with Snoddy, the ball also curls towards the goalkeeper instead of curling outwards to our players.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]One of the main reasons for our slow build up is that we have Snodgrass & Redmond on the wrong sides, both are always cutting back to play the ball on their favored foot. Also, especially with Snoddy, the ball also curls towards the goalkeeper instead of curling outwards to our players.[/quote]

Good point. Despite the pace and quick instinct of Redmond, when receiving the ball he often takes too long to pass it on and ultimately slows the game down.

Because they have not bought in to, or don''t understand, or have no faith in, what they are being coached to do. probably all three?

The system doesn''t work