Sign in to follow this  
funny old game

RVW movement

During a couple of our counter attacks in the first half he spun off his marker into space running toward goal, it only needed a waited through ball into that space for him to be clean through on goal, unfortunately our mid field, howson on the first occasion, fer on the second chose to play the ball wide to snodgrass, RVW needs early accurate balls into the channels not slow build up & a hopeful cross into a crowded area, this dilemma bears all the hall marks of Torres demise at Liverpool, his early form was brilliant but as tactics changed his chances became fewer & his confidence went, this is what will happen to Ricky if don''t change our tactics

[quote user="funny old game"]During a couple of our counter attacks in the first half he spun off his marker into space running toward goal, it only needed a waited through ball into that space for him to be clean through on goal, unfortunately our mid field, howson on the first occasion, fer on the second chose to play the ball wide to snodgrass, RVW needs early accurate balls into the channels not slow build up & a hopeful cross into a crowded area, this dilemma bears all the hall marks of Torres demise at Liverpool, his early form was brilliant but as tactics changed his chances became fewer & his confidence went, this is what will happen to Ricky if don''t change our tactics[/quote]

Completely agree. We lack the ball playing midfielder that would transform RVW''s game.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="funny old game"]During a couple of our counter attacks in the first half he spun off his marker into space running toward goal, it only needed a waited through ball into that space for him to be clean through on goal, unfortunately our mid field, howson on the first occasion, fer on the second chose to play the ball wide to snodgrass, RVW needs early accurate balls into the channels not slow build up & a hopeful cross into a crowded area, this dilemma bears all the hall marks of Torres demise at Liverpool, his early form was brilliant but as tactics changed his chances became fewer & his confidence went, this is what will happen to Ricky if don''t change our tactics[/quote]

Completely agree. We lack the ball playing midfielder that would transform RVW''s game.[/quote]Howson and Fer can play that ball though.But it just seems to me they aren''t allowed to express themselves due to the tactics.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="funny old game"]During a couple of our counter attacks in the first half he spun off his marker into space running toward goal, it only needed a waited through ball into that space for him to be clean through on goal, unfortunately our mid field, howson on the first occasion, fer on the second chose to play the ball wide to snodgrass, RVW needs early accurate balls into the channels not slow build up & a hopeful cross into a crowded area, this dilemma bears all the hall marks of Torres demise at Liverpool, his early form was brilliant but as tactics changed his chances became fewer & his confidence went, this is what will happen to Ricky if don''t change our tactics[/quote]

Completely agree. We lack the ball playing midfielder that would transform RVW''s game.[/quote]Howson and Fer can play that ball though.But it just seems to me they aren''t allowed to express themselves due to the tactics.[/quote]

Disagree. Whilst not a fan of Hughton, I very much doubt he''s told howson and Fer not to play that killer pass. It''s down to the ability of the players and howson, in particular, is not the ball playing midfielder we need.

Its not just the central players who are failing to find him. I''ve said it before but watch how many times he peels back off his marker in the area, finds acres of space, only for the wingers/full backs to drive an aimless ball into the 6 yard box instead of pulling it back for him.

We dont build throught the middle, ever !Its all long ball and speculative 50-50 onto the wing. Our mids just dont shift it through the centre.Everyone in the stadium knew exactly where the ball would go when we attacked, including a certain Mr Lambert. Villa were easily able to lock us out at every opportunity becasue we were so predictable.League 1 stuff from Hughton yesterday it really was

Very insightful and thoughtful post by the OP. Well played sir. I share your concerns and worries. I would certainly be very depressed if we wasted a player like RvW. You know he will score goals at this level but needs a bit of luck and service. He''ll get up to speed to take his chances early as there''s less time in this league, but he still needs the service that he enjoys best. Early crosses, through balls etc

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]We dont build throught the middle, ever !Its all long ball and speculative 50-50 onto the wing. Our mids just dont shift it through the centre.Everyone in the stadium knew exactly where the ball would go when we attacked, including a certain Mr Lambert. Villa were easily able to lock us out at every opportunity becasue we were so predictable.League 1 stuff from Hughton yesterday it really was[/quote]Thought ''early doors'' there were some very promising signs yesterday, but yes - agreed about how we''ve been playing mostly under CH

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Howson and Fer can play that ball though.But it just seems to me they aren''t allowed to express themselves due to the tactics.[/quote]Exactly, I think we all saw what Howson can do end of last season. Im sure they have been told to hold position. Id like to think that at the tail end of the season the players kept themselves up by playing "thier" game rather than Hughton''s because they looked like a different team.I might be wrong and it might be romanticised but something was deffinatly different in the last few games.

His movement is class. I don''t buy into this whole "RVW is a waste of money" nonsense. Spoken from people who can''t read a game a football.

My main concern is that he will soon become very disenchanted with life in Norwich and doubt the decision he made to come here. On the plus side, I can''t remember him saying that he came here due to the Hughton effect. So if CH does leave, it may not unsettle RVW too much.

[quote user="Farro"]His movement is class. I don''t buy into this whole "RVW is a waste of money" nonsense. Spoken from people who can''t read a game a football.

My main concern is that he will soon become very disenchanted with life in Norwich and doubt the decision he made to come here. On the plus side, I can''t remember him saying that he came here due to the Hughton effect. So if CH does leave, it may not unsettle RVW too much.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Farro"]His movement is class. I don''t buy into this whole "RVW is a waste of money" nonsense. Spoken from people who can''t read a game a football.

My main concern is that he will soon become very disenchanted with life in Norwich and doubt the decision he made to come here. On the plus side, I can''t remember him saying that he came here due to the Hughton effect. So if CH does leave, it may not unsettle RVW too much.[/quote]
And another [Y] from me.

[quote user="walks on water"][quote user="Farro"]His movement is class. I don''t buy into this whole "RVW is a waste of money" nonsense. Spoken from people who can''t read a game a football.

My main concern is that he will soon become very disenchanted with life in Norwich and doubt the decision he made to come here. On the plus side, I can''t remember him saying that he came here due to the Hughton effect. So if CH does leave, it may not unsettle RVW too much.[/quote]

[Y][/quote]

Appreciate the thumbs up, from yourself as well, Sussex. Nice not to be slated for a comment, which is a bit of a risk every time you post in here!

Back to the RVW topic, do people think he would be a striker that could benefit from playing with a target man by his side, benefitting from knock downs and flick ons? Or better off with an intelligent "number 10" behind him?

I also agree with fog.  RVW''s movement off the ball is there for all to see unfortunately our midfield seem to lack the vision to see it & often do not release the ball ealier enough to him whether the ball is coming centrally from Fer/ Howson or from out wide Snodgrass/ Redmond.I don''t really want to join the Snodgrass witch hunt but I am more baffled sometimes with the fad of football managers wanting to play naturally right footed wide players on the left side of the pitch & visa versa.  If our wide players play on there natural side when they are one on one with the full back why can''t they can drive for the the by-line & cut the ball back behind the defenders.  Its a bit old school but surely if we are on the counter attack, it maintains the momentum of our attack (difficult to defend) the opposition defenders are still facing their own goal (more difficult to defend) & it give RVW/ Hooper/ Etc. more opporunity to find space in front of goal.What struck me yesterday is that with wide players on their opposite wings they always have to cut in to work the ball onto their natural foot to make a cross & as the OP said the ball is then coming into a crowded penalty area because the attack has been slowed down before the ball is delivered & Villa''s defence is back in shape.This is not the be all & end all of our prblems going forward but surely there is a case for our wide players to swap sides from time to time during the game, Hughtons whole philosophy seem to be working the ball to pull the opposition out of shape to create openings are we not missing a trick.OTBC

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="funny old game"]During a couple of our counter attacks in the first half he spun off his marker into space running toward goal, it only needed a waited through ball into that space for him to be clean through on goal, unfortunately our mid field, howson on the first occasion, fer on the second chose to play the ball wide to snodgrass, RVW needs early accurate balls into the channels not slow build up & a hopeful cross into a crowded area, this dilemma bears all the hall marks of Torres demise at Liverpool, his early form was brilliant but as tactics changed his chances became fewer & his confidence went, this is what will happen to Ricky if don''t change our tactics[/quote]

Completely agree. We lack the ball playing midfielder that would transform RVW''s game.[/quote]Howson and Fer can play that ball though.But it just seems to me they aren''t allowed to express themselves due to the tactics.[/quote]

What a load of crap this is ^^ tactics won''t allow them to play through balls to rvw . If he''s clear through in acres of course they would play it. It don''t matter what tactics they are playing

[quote user="south of the border"]Why has he not been found more than a handful of times in the games so far & most of those balls are swung in from out wide?[/quote]

Maybe it would be an idea to try fox in the 10 roll less round & round in circles than holahan with an eye for a forward pass,