Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Is Snodgrass the problem?

He is not "THE" problem but is a very "BIG" problem. If you play as a winger and can''t pick a player out (or even hit decent areas) with crosses then what are you doing playing in the starting 11. Even with all his endeavour and work rate!

I must have missed the fan meeting where Snodgrass was elected to replace Holt as this year''s whipping boy.I''d agree that it was very poor management to not recognise that having only had 1 shot last week we needed to change things up front; that Snodgrass needed a rest to try and recover form and confidence and that Pilkington needed a start to stop him losing patience and interest in the cause.Even worse we didn''t even take him off after he''d hurt himself and our fickle (politest word I could use) fans started booing his every touch (probably not helping his form or confidence). He gave 100% and for me will still be an important player this season. The rest of our attacking line-up needs to take some responsibility for wasting a string of good chances as well.

IF Snodgrass had put some quality onto his deliveries, then we would have been talking about a MOM performance possibly. As it was, time and time again it was shocking. I would question, a couple of times, his effort (once in a defensive capacity in the first half when he gave the ball away and didn''t track back quickly at all, and left Martin exposed, and in the 2nd half, when the ball had gone past him and the defender into space), but overall his workrate was very good, but execution of delivery, was appalling.

Snodgrass is not the problem, he is a symptom of the problem.

His continued presence in the team when he is going through a bad patch, his indiscipline, being played in a roll that he''s not best suited to, his poor attitude towards other players etc.are all evidence that he is not being managed properly as a player and as a professional.

Snodgrass is a quality player, he is off form (along with many others) thats all. He''s made a big mistake with the penalty incident but he doesn''t deserve to be the new scapegoat, no way. The blame for the way we are playing isn''t Snodgrass'' fault, it lays squarely with a manger who decides to take off two offensive players - the only two that looked mildly capable of nicking a goal - whilst 1-0 down at home, because "he just felt that if we were going to score it was going to come from the right". Ridiculous!

Love SnoddyWas vital for us last yearMy only problem isTime and time again he appears to do just that bit extra which leads to losing possession / failing to get the cross in.He runs down the wing, turns his man, turns him again, then instead of getting the ball in the box he seems to nearly always try one more piece of skill which often results in a tackle coming in.He doesn''t look fully fit to me. I think the fact he took the penalty shows he wants to show us that he''s fully committed to the team and is ready to start every game.Personally I''d play Redmond there and Pilks on the left vs Stoke.

I watched a live feed of the players and managers arriving at Carrow Road yesterday and in one clip Snodgrass came through some swing doors , arms raised as if carrying a handgun rolled and turned into their dressing room as if doing an armed raid.

He''s a celebrity, Get him out of here!

Either that or grow-up quickly.

Snodgrass is one of those players where the pressure is starting to tell, his place is under threat, he is suffering a loss in form and the opposition have sussed him out. His biggest fault is that he thinks he is better than he really is and we have all seen them down here before haven''t we. The happy clappers, i''m going to the world cup etc etc. Actions please not words.

Please no more pointy fingers as guns.

H

Snodgrass is very good player. Without him last season we would have been absolutely sunk. He was involved (by virtue of scoring or assisting) in 37% of our goals last season. His ability is therefore not in question for me.

However, it is also not in question that he is currently in poor form. This is something which afflicts all players at some stage in their career no matter how good you are. Even RVP went through a goal drought last year. I think in his defence, playing him at both Spurs and Hull when he didn''t look fit hasn''t helped. Again, it shows his value to us last year that CH has been so desperate to get him back on the pitch so quickly.

I notice some people on twitter and other platforms have accused him of not trying. I think that is a ridiculous notion. If anything he is guilty of trying too hard because he knows he isn''t playing well. That has manifested itself in monopolising the set pieces and now the penalties in an attempt to effect the game.

He probably now does need some time out of the side now. It is important that other members of the squad feel that when someone''s standards drop they will get a chance. However, if we are going to survive this year then we will need Snoddy back and firing at some stage. Something those dishing out vitriolic abuse would do well to remember.

I don''t see many really making Snodgrass the scape goat however people are entitled rightly to say his effectiveness as a winger at the moment is not up to standard it has been in the past. Most of us recognise that the problems in the final third run deeper than Snoddy, but when you have a good player in Pilkington waiting on the bench it makes sense for Snodgrass to not play, that''s the point of a squad, player loses form he comes out of the side then comes back in to hopefully win his place back as he gets his chances.

I have to say though I don''t think either his or the managers whoever it is insistence that he takes every set piece helps him, when he''s consistently not delivering.

It was clear from Hughtons interview yesterday that he hoped that Snodgrass could replicate one of those telling assists despite his obvious lack of current form on the pitch.

It didn''t work out.

Lets move on and give another player a chance, it may be just the thing that Snodrass needs.

H

Well he has been the player that unfortunately Hoots has relied on since that "good run". Yesterday though underlined why he shouldn''t be in the team and shouldn''t have since b4 the "good run". Petulant, self-obsessed, one dimensional, lacking in pace, no defensive qualities. Sure runs about (at his own pace) and looks busy, makes himslef available etc. but apart from winning the odd foul when does f ll. One good cross every 15 or so. Not good enough at this level.

Why Hughton can''t see it beats me. Probably Snoddy is best matess with Bewilderwood!

Drop Snoddy, swap Pilks & Nathan, keep swapping them every 15 mins or so, et voila, Plan B & C and we haven''t fiddled with rest of Hughton''s plan. Easy.....

Almost as important yesterday was Bassong''s attitude. Villa were up on top prior to that penalty because he was having a shocker. Frankly his head was elsewhere - was he ill, injured or pxssed off before the game? Hanson on MOTD called it for me - totally at fault for their goal and the way he gave up when his hamstring went! If the captain''s head has gone no hope for us. Time for Benno to step up.

From day one I have always thought he has a problem.

He

is

s l o w

It''s not just being slow in a foot race - Trevor Brooking never beat anyone for pace - but his style slows our attacks down to a crawl.

He''s not the only one with that problem, mind.

He is a clever player, very strong & tricky, but, of late, his end product has gone down the tubes. His attitude has also deteriorated; I wonder if Holt''s departure has anything to do with that, that he''s now trying to up his position in the pack? I don''t know.

Whatever, I think he needs benching at the moment.

Snoddy is not the problem - Hughton is the problem. If he cannot see the appalling loss of form the player is undergoing then he is no manager. Everyone on here is quoting Snoddys problems - so if they can see it, why can''t Hughton?

Like I said on another thread, IF Snodgrass had come up with good delivery yesterday, we would possibly talking about a MoM performance. He was annoyingly awful. After that I would drop him, but I also agree, he shouldn''t be made a scapegoat.

Always gives 100%, doesn''t hide, and is passionate about playing. Don''t blame the players - Martin and Bassong were on the pitch when the penalty was given. 2 Captains - neither helped sort out who was taking it.

Blame the manager - who hadn''t sorted it before kick off!

Ultimately the problem lies with the man who selects him, but make no mistake, Snodgrass is an excellent player ......... at Championship (or Scotland) level but he has notgot the pace or skill for the Premiership.

Anyone who believes a winger is a good player if, when clear, has to stop and cut back inside because he has not got the pace, or trickery, to hit the goal line and get in a decent cross is deluded. I see very few, if any, early crosses from advanced positions. Those are the ones that cause all defences problems, not the one when the game has slowed down and is brought inside and crosses delivered straight at the defence.

I am amazed that it has taken so many people so long to realise this.

On another thread I recently posted that the four most over rated players at the club were the three from Leeds and Hoolahan. I stand by that.

Perhaps now people will also realise how damaging the injury to Elliot Bennett can be, even though I would not classify him as an exceptional Premiership player.

Perhaps if Pilkington and Redmond does not work this will be the time to look at youngsters.

His deliveries have always been inconsistent, but now he wants to beat every player or cut back it just wastes f***loads of time and surprise. You have class players like Hoops and RvW in the box who want early/decent crosses - just look at the goal against Everton from Benno''s cross! Gutted we don''t have Benno because he tracks back even better than Snoddy and actually looked confident against Everton like he was ready to prove himself. F****g typical. Drop Snoddy to sort himself out and Pilks on the right. Bloody sort it out

Rudolph - did you see the deliveries yesterday? Guzan took more difficult crosses in the warm up.

A penalty miss is not the reason I am narked with him

...not based on a penalty miss. Anyone can miss a penalty.I watched yesterday as he:
  •  repeatedly didn''t track back with any urgency (barely turned on his heels.) This was happening in the first half when Villa were having their best attacking spells down that wing.
  • Lots of speculative floated crosses that seemed to have no aim other than giving Guzan catching practice.
  • Noticed quite markedly that Martin stopped giving the ball to Snodgrass in the second half at times, because he was in, and holding, positions that do not suit his game; namely balls down the wings into space that would have required him to win the race with the full back marking him. This was really brought into contrast when Pilkington came on. Pilks combinations and running off the ball with Garrido and the centre mids was excellent (he even had a go at Garrido at one point for playing exactly the type of  speculative ball over the top that Snodgrass was requesting on the other side, and not playing a ball to feet)

It amazes me sometimes how we can see such different games/performances

Not sure he is the problem , but this seasons Snoddy seems to be a petulant school boy. Hes diving at most opportunities being stupidly greedy and is way off form. He waited for a pass 4 times and refused to come and meet it so we lost possession every occasion. Also think Bassong as captain is a bad move, something about him makes me feel hes probably pretty arrogant. Injury might do us some good if im honest.Bennett looking good yesterday but needs time as he made a few sloppy errors and Martin as captain.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I can''t believe this criticism of Snodgrass. But if that is your honest opinions and not based on one penalty miss........[/quote]

i''ve never changed my view of him since first time he turned back and went inside instead of whipping one in to Holt. Then his petulance. Even when he was scoring I couldn''t get excited ''bout him. He is not a "Norwich" player - petulant & up his own ar5e. Yesterday finally brought it home to a few more hopefully.

Interesting to see all the Snodgrass criticism. Commentators on the TV said that he was at the heart of everything good Norwich did yesterday. I actually thought he played better yesterday, than he had been playing previously. Was actually pleased to see him cross the ball with his right foot a number of times yesterday, and that generally the quality of these weaker foot crosses was ok. Disappointed with his attitude though. Thought him arguing with Pilkington over the free-kick against Spurs showed a lack of respect towards his team-mate. The penalty thing also suggests to me that Snodgrass has become a little too big for his boots. Undermining the authority of your manager and bullying your teammates is not acceptable. ''Its my ball and if you dont let me take the penalty Im going home with it!''

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Not sure he is the problem , but this seasons Snoddy seems to be a petulant school boy. Hes diving at most opportunities being stupidly greedy and is way off form. He waited for a pass 4 times and refused to come and meet it so we lost possession every occasion. Also think Bassong as captain is a bad move, something about him makes me feel hes probably pretty arrogant. Injury might do us some good if im honest.Bennett looking good yesterday but needs time as he made a few sloppy errors and Martin as captain.[/quote]

Every time I''ve seen Bennett he seems to default to a long punt up the pitch which seems very lower league. Someone needs to teach him to pass it about a bit. Remember we''d had something like a 27 pass move which Villa has repelled and possession came back to Bennett. Instead of passing it on and building from the back he just pumped it upfield way beyond whoever the runner was on the right wing, which was met by a look of incredulity from that player. Defensive game may be ok, but lots to do with his all round game

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Not sure he is the problem , but this seasons Snoddy seems to be a petulant school boy. Hes diving at most opportunities being stupidly greedy and is way off form. He waited for a pass 4 times and refused to come and meet it so we lost possession every occasion. Also think Bassong as captain is a bad move, something about him makes me feel hes probably pretty arrogant. Injury might do us some good if im honest.Bennett looking good yesterday but needs time as he made a few sloppy errors and Martin as captain.[/quote]agree

The reasons why Snoddy forced his way to taking the pen were purely selfish and nothing to do with trying to do the best for the team!

I have no problem with a little arrogance and ego as I feel it is rather necessary to be at the top, but this needs to be channelled and tempered especially in team sports!

Snoddy was greedy and wanted the glory for himself! If he was for one moment thinking of the team he would have given the ball to the teams main striker who needs goals for his own confidence, put his arm round him and said ''Go on Ricky, Bury it!''.

He didn''t and missed! He may want to be a leader but his actions were nothing like one!

For me bench him!

Snake