Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Is Snodgrass the problem?

I think he needs to be brought down a peg or two and to realise that his job is to create chances, not to try and look like Lionel Messi because Barcelona offered him a trial when he was 13.
We have Pilkington fit, he''s a quality player, he creates chances, he scores goals - he should be starting games for us. Redmond on the right, Snodgrass benched until Pilkington gets injured again (bound to happen). 

And what is Hoolahan doing these days? Reckon he''d fancy pulling his boots on for a kickabout? Heard he has still got it. 

Hughton is the problem.

How he can not see Snodgrass is bang out of form is remarkable. It''s obvious from the stands.

He probably wants to utilise his spoiler tactics and slow pace in what will inevitably be a 1.0 away loss at Stoke.

Snodgrass is a good player but there can be no doubt that the job he''s in the team to primarily do which is send good crosses in he''s failing miserably so far this season. What I don''t understand is why he has to take every bleeding corner and freekick when so far this season they have been appalling.

Thinking the same thing. I think its a sign of his frustration, mind. He wants to do well, but its hugely frustrating to see him act as though its all about him. He''s been terrible with his crossing of late and often appears too greedy. He needs to not be in the starting XI next week for me. I understand his desire, but unfortunately its not working for him at the moment. Though to say he is the main problem I would argue is wrong.

For me Snoddy is really good at tackling back, but it is his forward play that is the problem. He is simply too slow in possession and his crossing was shocking today. Everytime he either his the defender are flights in a slow loopy cross for the GK to pick out of the air with ease. For a winger crossing is bread and butter and it makes really wonder what the hell they do at Colney.Anyway at least we have Stoke away to look forward to next. I will get my prediction in early, we will lose 1-0 and wont have a shot (on target or not) for the whole match.

Yes he is - everything seemed to go through him despite the fact that he was absolutely sh*te  for the third game in a row today. And hey Snoddy do not put your arms in the air as if it is the forwards fault when you have put in yet another whoeful cross straight to the keeper.

I don''t think it matters as Hughton will never drop him as he is too hard working.The fact he is a one footed winger that cant cross is hardly going to worry the oppo. I would imagine following video footage of him is being shown to the oppo nowadays as our apparent high profile player from last season. Basically you show him on his poor foot and job done!!Hughton is really doing my head in, We just cant score goals and are getting worse at it the more he drains are attacking confidence. The players must have their heads down after months of being told how great the oppo are compared to them. RVW not taking the pen and not playing Hooper from the start in what could end up a massive loss at home by the end of the season has put the final nail in his coffin for me. This against a team that has not kept a clean sheet since XMAS and without their Talisman!!HE MUST GO as must SNODGRASS to the BENCH!

He''s not that hard working. He left his fullback horribly exposed again today.

He has a go going forward but doesn''t put in that much defensively.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

How is it Snoddy''s fault if everything went through him today?

[:^)]

[/quote]
The point is that all that time that Snodgrass spends on the ball might be better invested with others on the ball.
Somebody like Pilkington, who is a great crosser.
I think Snodgrass is a very good player, and a match winner on his day, but he holds on to the ball for too long, is prone to being selfish at times and I think it is of detriment to the team.
Snodgrass being in possession a lot does not translate into him doing the right thing with the possession. He slows counter attacks, typically delays playing balls, and thinks far too hard about his corners and free kicks.
He probably needs a rest and a few weeks on the bench, and we need somebody like Pilkington on the pitch. For me they are of similar quality when both on form, but Snodgrass is far from playing to his best.

Surely this is coming to a head - he was the only player in the team who was individually booed by the crowd - this got more pronounced as the game wore on.

I feel all the Leeds players are the problem, all too one-dimensional.

Howson ok/good on the ball, apart from when he''s trying to take players on.. too weak defensively, lets players run off him.

Johnson good defensively poor on the ball.

Snoddy, most of crosses to me seem to be over hit, and ok was considerably better today, still it''s all about him and not the team. Decision making his a big Achilles heal, too many times slows it down when it''s a counter-attack, and destroys the play.

Can we try one game with no ex-Leeds players.

"Surely this is coming to a head"  - no pun intended, but this was why he got booed as his crosses never found the head of any of our players

Taking the ball from RvW for the penalty and compounding it by hitting the softest penalty seen at FCR for years is the last nail in his coffin as far as I''m concerned. The sheer arrogance of the man is unbelievable. He did the same with the free kick last week when he told Pilks to F off and then hit his usual pathetic waist high effort into the wall. It would perhaps be acceptable if he was backing it up with good performances around the park but, let''s face it, he isn''t!

His crossing is woeful as are his pathetic attempts to "win" free kicks. I would not be at all surprised to discover that the stroppy Jock is a bad influence in the dressing room. Quite how Mr Hughton cannot see what, to most of us, is quite obvious is beyond me but maybe speaks volumes about the manager that he is. Who is supposed to be running things at Colney, Hughton or Snodgrass? Maybe if CH could steal some of Snodgrass''s arrogance it would be a good thing for all concerned.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Surely this is coming to a head - he was the only player in the team who was individually booed by the crowd - this got more pronounced as the game wore on.[/quote]
I''d hate for him to become the whipping boy because he is an excellent player and a match winner on his day, but I think Hughton needs to drop him to bring him down a peg or two.
We have a quality winger on the bench - Pilkington - who deserves the chance to win his place back. Pilks is a quality player, we all know that, Snodgrass should lose his place in the team to him.
The problem is that Hughton doesn''t seem to work like this. If he dropped players for underperformance then Olsson would he in the team instead of Garrido. What has Hoolahan done to deserve being cast aside completely? 
Lambert was never shy to drop people, he even dropped Holt, and dropped Hoolahan in League One! 

Snodgrass is not, and never has been a great player.He is a good player. He is good enough to be in a premier league squad- if anyone so one footed, stroppy and slow is a nailed on starter or star player your team is not good.

Have to agree yellow shirt, how anyone thought he was a good player... well guess it''s the same people who voted Lee Croft as player of the season, he couldn''t cross either.

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

How is it Snoddy''s fault if everything went through him today?

[:^)]

[/quote]

The point is that all that time that Snodgrass spends on the ball might be better invested with others on the ball.

Somebody like Pilkington, who is a great crosser.

I think Snodgrass is a very good player, and a match winner on his day, but he holds on to the ball for too long, is prone to being selfish at times and I think it is of detriment to the team.

Snodgrass being in possession a lot does not translate into him doing the right thing with the possession. He slows counter attacks, typically delays playing balls, and thinks far too hard about his corners and free kicks.

He probably needs a rest and a few weeks on the bench, and we need somebody like Pilkington on the pitch. For me they are of similar quality when both on form, but Snodgrass is far from playing to his best.

[/quote]

Yes, well that''s all well and good, but it still doesn''t change the fact that it''s not Snoddy''s fault that everything went through him today.

One must assume that the game plan was that the vast majority of attacks were to go through Snoddy.  Hence why the vast majority of attacks did indeed go through Snoddy.  What was Snoddy meant to do, sub himself, feign injury so he got subbed, kick the ball out as soon as it came to him, turn round and immediately play the ball backwards to get it away from himself?

I mean come on FFS.  Snodgrass is a winger and is expected to perform that role, which is what he tried to do today.  If the game plan was or if the ball just happened to keep coming to him, what did you expect him to do with it?

I am not for one minute saying Snodgrass had a good game, far from it and a lot of his crossing was woeful.  But whether it was the game plan or not the ball kept coming to him and he tried to perform his role.  Nothing whatsoever went through Elmander for nearly 40 minutes!

The manager should have changed the game plan and/or subbed Snoddy, but he didn''t.  That is not Snoddy''s fault!

Snoddy shouldered the vast majority of the attacking work, why others didn''t do more who knows???   I think at times Snoddy was as much frustrated with his own crossing as he was with a lack of movement ahead of him and at times only having one player to cross to.

Snoddy''s poor play was indeed made all the more apparent because everything went through him.  Redmond was no better, but didn''t have as much to do, hence the boos as he didn''t stand out as being as bad as Snoddy, and we may as well have started with 10 than play Elmander.

Snoddy should never have started today and my heart sank when I saw him in the team. He was very very poor last week and has not shown his true ability this season.

But it is not fair to blame him for today, the manager must carry the can here. He picked Snoddy and made him a key part of his game plan, clearly a massive misjudgement of Snoddy''s current form. Add into that what we all know,he is playing on the wrong side of the pitch and is consistently being asked to play balls into the box with from the wrong side. His crosses and corners were very poor today and gave us very little chance to compete for the ball in the box.

Snodgrass has been our only player this season who I feel has been very poor. Some of the others have been poor in some games but decent in others - Snoddy has been consistently performing badly.

Surely Hughton has seen this? I thought he deserved to be dropped before today - if he plays next week then that''s very poor judgement from CH. It''s not like we''re short of quality options on the flanks...

In answer to the OP question, perhaps not THE problem but his attitude at the moment is A problem.

I do not question his work rate but I do question his attitude.  By his constant moaning, shoulder shrugging and arm waving it appears he believes nothing is ever his fault, which in and of itself is not necessarily a problem but the earache he is giving the other players (I deliberately have not used the phrase teammates) imo is a problem.

Over recent weeks he has been involved in a number of spats with other players, Pilks and RVW being prime examples and is forever moaning at/blaming others when he fails to deliver, this negativity can spread like cancer through a team, and I think it is starting to.  Nothing pleases the opposition more than to see their opposition arguing with each other.

He either needs to be left out of the team or be given help with his attitude.  Obviously only he decides his attitude but surely ''management'' can see the problem and therefore should take action to assist him in improving it, before we have 11 players on the pitch all moaning at each other, all shrugging their shoulders, all waving their arms about and all fighting over the ball like a bunch of kids in the playground!

One thing I guess he doesn''t understand is that the negative chemicals he produces in his brain inhibit creativity and innovation.  When are you at your most creative and innovative, when you''re in a positive mood or negative mood, Snoddy is no different.

So to summarise, maybe his own negativity is fuelling his lack of form at the moment, which as I stated earlier, can spread like a cancer through the team.

I think he is as pe''ed off as many of the other players are, hence their bickering.If Hughton has gone then I would suggest that it is as much to do with this as it is the results alone. If players are openly expressing ''dissenting'' views then those are coming from targeting by the media, who will be getting feedback either direct or indirect from the players.The moot point is whether Sodgrasse''s ''failings'' are solely down to him or the tactics being enforced. I would suggest it is mostly the latter.As said above the tactic today seemed to revolve on hitting the ball wide to him and him crossing it. If it fails to get to him then it is not so obvious who or what is at fault, if he fails to get the ball over it is blindingly obvious where the failing is.I cannot believe that the board will allow this to continue for much longer.

It seems that he believes he is the most important player in the team. If RvW is the designated penalty taker and Snodgrass ignored this, probably so he could improve his stats with a goal, then he must be dropped for the Stoke game.