Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Penalty no brainer, mindboggling !!!!

I will say, in case i didn''t make it clear previously - whether people like to hear this or not..
The issue isn''t that Snodgrass took the penalty when it should have been RVW.
The issue here is that Snodgrass didn''t score his penalty.
And all players miss penalties. Heck, even the likes of Holt. 
Do i think Snodgrass should have taken it? No, not really. He''s in poor form and imo could do without the pressure - but if he was willing then there you go.
Do i think Snodgrass is too big for his boots, going against the manager and over-ruling the rest of the team? Nope. I don''t think there was a well specified penalty taker, i don''t think he has an attitude problem and any bickering people bring up during the game is thankfully evidence that we have players who don''t like losing, actually give a toss and get frustrated.

[quote user="hogesar"]I will say, in case i didn''t make it clear previously - whether people like to hear this or not..
The issue isn''t that Snodgrass took the penalty when it should have been RVW.
The issue here is that Snodgrass didn''t score his penalty.
And all players miss penalties. Heck, even the likes of Holt. 
Do i think Snodgrass should have taken it? No, not really. He''s in poor form and imo could do without the pressure - but if he was willing then there you go.
Do i think Snodgrass is too big for his boots, going against the manager and over-ruling the rest of the team? Nope. I don''t think there was a well specified penalty taker, i don''t think he has an attitude problem and any bickering people bring up during the game is thankfully evidence that we have players who don''t like losing, actually give a toss and get frustrated.
[/quote]
That is quite clearly not the issue though, the issue is that Hughton seemed to suggest that Van Wolfswinkel is the dedicated penalty taker and that Snodgrass seems to have undermined that - and then missed in the process.
Of course it wouldn''t have been questioned by fans if Snoddy had scored, but it would still have been a player undermining a teammate and his manager. 

Is it written into Snodgrass''s contract that he has to take every dead ball kick? the penalty apart his corners were appalling, one after another hit straight at the keeper!

Can you imagine SAF''s reaction if one of his players ignored his choice of penalty taker and took the penalty instead. Whether he scored or not that player wouldn''t be appearing in the next game and wouldn''t be on the bench either.

It will be interesting to see if Snodgrass is involved at Stoke next week. 

Oh, so now you''re sayin Hughton is as good as SAF!?!? (I know you''re not. I''m fake overreacting)

That really is mind bottling. You know, it''s like it''s inside a bottle and it can''t get out. - Chad Michael Michaels

Nutty is correct in stating we have lost some leadership on the pitch. However, to be fair to RVW, he has hardly had time to reach a sense of belonging yet let alone seniority, assertiveness and leadership. Many say leaders are born that way, however, if a player is to grow into a leadership role it does not happen overnight for new, young players. For most players that comes with time. I will say this regarding the penalty. If we are allowed to go back to the past as to who had leadership, if Malky Mackay had been on the pitch today ( Scottish background and all )  and it was clear that RVW was the designated spot kicker then Malky would have had hold of Snodgrass by the scruff of his neck if necessary. We don''t have someone of that calibre at the moment on the pitch, and maybe not even on the sideline. 

It''s what worries me Yankee. Not just the penalty incident but obviously that is extremely high profile. Too many players seem to be too concerned in fulfilling their instructions rather than helping make something happen. We were far more offensive today and yet the lack of leadership was even more apparrent. 

For those who say we didn''t miss Bradley Johnson I''m afraid we did in this regard. Against Southampton when Whittaker and Snodgrass were both caught upfield it was Johnson who realised the danger and took it upon himself to cover. Gary Holt used to do the same with Hucks and Drury. Today nobody made it their job to cover. Just players doing their jobs.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]

Can you imagine SAF''s reaction if one of his players ignored his choice of penalty taker and took the penalty instead. Whether he scored or not that player wouldn''t be appearing in the next game and wouldn''t be on the bench either.

It will be interesting to see if Snodgrass is involved at Stoke next week. 

[/quote]

I have to say that this penalty shambles brings into question the Manager''s basic abilities. It is unforgivable, if it is indeed the case, that we are starting games not knowing who the penalty taker and reserve penalty taker are. This is such fundamental stuff and indicates a lack of professionalism, leadership and organisation. Perhaps we are so obsessed with the defensive side of the game that we haven''t had time to think about hitting the back of the net. If RVW was expected to take the penalty, why didn''t he? Or was it the case that the management team just assumed that he would? Nothing but pathetic and incompetent. Their futures in the short term must surely be in doubt.