Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

My thoughts on Chris Hughton, substitions, and motivation

It was very interesting looking at Hughton''s post-match interview. He often has a reason for his subs that we never think of. He was right that Redmond was never really in the game, and Snoddy and Martin did put some good moves together, It really was just our final ball and a bit of sharpness in front of goal that was missing on Saturday. if RvW puts that chance away when he peeled off (which was very close) then the whole match changes. I was just as disappointed with the result and lack of quality in the final third as anyone, but when we get that right, I think we could be a serious threat to other teams.

There''s that old saying that once they''re over the white line its up to the players. We know the players would run through a brick wall for Lambert, but most of them have gone now, and the ones that are still here have only played for him for one season, bar Martin, Ruddy and Hoolahan. Now we need Hughton to motivate his own players.

What fascinates me is that they need motivating at all! You would think with a weeks training, all the match build up and only 90 minutes to prove to the fans, other players, manager and lets face it, other teams if they want to progress their own careers, they should go out there with all the desire and energy they can muster to do the best for the club, and to earn the frankly outrageous money that they earn! If I had a week to build up to doing my job really well for only 90 minutes on a Saturday, I''d be SO up for it! Just saying....

I noticed Redmond getting wound up by the insufferable Bacuna just before he got subbed so I reckon that had a bit to do with it. I hope he gets his leg broken the cocky little 5h1t.

As the motivating comments go, it''s all relative, we''re not asking them to be motivated to get a drink from the fridge, it''s far more than that and it''s the same for every player in the league, we need to be more motivated than the other team. Won''t every player be SO up for it?

Well Jimmy, does it look like they want to fight for every ball....look at the goal at Villa on Saturday and watch Garrido, Martin and Fer saunter into the picture as Kozak slots the ball home. They should be sprinting into the area to make sure Villa don''t score...its 2v2 and Bassong is trying to cover on the line. You shouldn''t need some sort of special motivation from the manager to do that. See my point!? And not every player is SO up for it, there are clearly players in the league that think its their right to show up, score, win the game and not put in any hard work. We can''t afford to rely on just ability or tactics, we need to press and show desire, something that we haven''t always seen a lot of under Hughton.