Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Team Captain & Club Captain

Just been giving this some thought. It seems to me that this is yet more evidence of a split in the dressing room. Bassong as team captain is obviously Hughton''s pick to wear the armband, but if he''s the leader on the pitch shouldn''t he also be captain of the club? You could read into it that Hughton has picked Martin as ''club captain'' to keep the old guard happy and when you do this you end up with half the team following one leader and half following the other captain. If the manager is trying to keep parts of the squad happy by bowing to the wishes to have Martin as captain should the job be given to him whilst he''s on the pitch too and have Seb as the vice-captain when Martin doesn''t play? Can you see someone like Alex Ferguson saying to his players "I want ''so and so'' as my team captain, but because you guys aren''t so keen on him I''ll make your choice ''club captain''"?

FFS what next.....somebody not happy with the shade of yellow our kit is or, perhaps his seat has faded in the sun.........we have had a team captain and club captain before and some other clubs also do this, its not new and certainly isnt eveidence of there being a split in the dressing room....if there is a split, then its unfortunate, almost inevitable, happens at many clubs from what I have read over the years and its up to the management to sort it out 

the team or Club captain should have used their authority to snatch the ball off a greedy petulant winger to stop him shanking a penalty at the weekend and given it to the striker who really needed it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]the team or Club captain should have used their authority to snatch the ball off a greedy petulant winger to stop him shanking a penalty at the weekend and given it to the striker who really needed it.[/quote]Jas has a point.

[quote user="NexusCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]the team or Club captain should have used their authority to snatch the ball off a greedy petulant winger to stop him shanking a penalty at the weekend and given it to the striker who really needed it.[/quote]Jas has a point.[/quote]And this is the point I''m trying to make as well. If Snodgrass is part of the crew that is in Russell Martin''s camp (if such a camp exists), would he have reacted the same way as he did to Pilkington last week if Bassong had told him RVW is taking the penalty? If there is a split within the dressing room, you are right Dubai Mark, the management need to sort it out. Which brings us to the next question though, if there is a dressing room split (which appears likely from the outside, but appearances can be deceiving) do you think a ''nice guy'' like Chris Hughton is the man to sort out a dressing room split? How long should we give him to get the whole team singing from the same hymn sheet, 5, 10, 19 games or should we wait until we are looking for a miracle to avoid relegation? We got the majority of our transfers signed very early to give them time to bed into the squad, so shouldn''t this have been addressed by the start of the season?I''m not having a moan, I''m just asking a question or two.