Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Perspective

If we beat Stoke and results go our way, we could find ourselves 8th just above Man U!

We have at least 1 win under our belts so aren''t as bad as Sunderland and i understand our football is pretty awful to watch away from home, but surely Hughton at least deserves a crack at the next few games.

When did we become this massive premiership club that must be in the top 12 playing free flowing football? We still have one of the lowest budgets in the league particularly for wages. I think this season will be a reality check, we won''t go down I don''t think, but 15th and more TV money can only strengthen us as a club.

What you say is true, that if we beat Stoke things suddenly look a lot more like "OK" again, especially if we can then beat Cardiff at home.
The problem is that none of us believe that there is any real prospect of us beating Stoke away, and that many of us also believe that the players don''t have any real belief in being able to win an away game either.
There is the very real possibility that we could come out of the next 5 games with somewhere between 0 to 3 points, and ''0'' could well leave us bottom of the league.  
Our first half of the season is a lot easier on paper than our second half of the season, and if you are bottom at Christmas then you are down. It won''t be Christmas after Man City, but it will be more than halfway there.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]If we beat Stoke and results go our way, we could find ourselves 8th just above Man U!

We have at least 1 win under our belts so aren''t as bad as Sunderland and i understand our football is pretty awful to watch away from home, but surely Hughton at least deserves a crack at the next few games.

When did we become this massive premiership club that must be in the top 12 playing free flowing football? We still have one of the lowest budgets in the league particularly for wages. I think this season will be a reality check, we won''t go down I don''t think, but 15th and more TV money can only strengthen us as a club.[/quote]I admire your optimism. Have you seen us play away from Carrow Road in the last 18 months or so?

Oh dear!

We didn''t become a massive Premiership club playing free flowing football and I don''t see anybody claiming that.

The issue is the form over the last 26 games!

And no matter if every result went our way, it is mathematically impossible for us to be 8th above Man U after the next round of games.....

If we beat stoke it''s just delaying the enviable, unless CH suddenly changes the way he thinks tactically we will carry on scraping results and getting beaten with little more than a whimper as a response.

You could say that about most managers, i reckon of the 19 premiership managers in jobs, eventually 16 of them will be sacked as opposed to them leaving for bigger and better things.

I have seen how bad we are away from home, but i''ve seen our results over Swansea and Man City last season and we can actually play well occasionally away from home. Stoke are nothing special and I don''t see how getting a new manager in now or even worse an interim manager would improve our chances.

I do agree if we are still struggling (less than 8 points) after ten games then it''s time for Hughton to go.

You know what we''re like though, last year we started rubbish then beat Man U, Arsenal, Swansea away etc. It''s inconsistency, the problem of most teams in the league because it''s so competitive.

I''d be less hasty to say we''ll get nothing from Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City and also less hasty to say we''ll beat Cardiff. Yes any points from them would be a bonus but Sods law we''ll probably lose that, draw with Stoke and beat Arsenal and Chelsea! Last season, them three won just over half their games away suggesting the average premiership team can take a point a game off them when at home.

If there''s a positive to take from the Villa game, it''s Hoopers liveliness when he came on. I think we have to go with both him and RVW up top together be it away or at home, i''m still annoyed Hooper didn''t get his ''cameo'' vs Spurs so he could havve been ready to start vs Villa.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]If we beat Stoke and results go our way, we could find ourselves 8th just above Man U! We have at least 1 win under our belts so aren''t as bad as Sunderland and i understand our football is pretty awful to watch away from home, but surely Hughton at least deserves a crack at the next few games. When did we become this massive premiership club that must be in the top 12 playing free flowing football? We still have one of the lowest budgets in the league particularly for wages. I think this season will be a reality check, we won''t go down I don''t think, but 15th and more TV money can only strengthen us as a club.[/quote]

IF!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]If we beat Stoke and results go our way, we could find ourselves 8th just above Man U! We have at least 1 win under our belts so aren''t as bad as Sunderland and i understand our football is pretty awful to watch away from home, but surely Hughton at least deserves a crack at the next few games. When did we become this massive premiership club that must be in the top 12 playing free flowing football? We still have one of the lowest budgets in the league particularly for wages. I think this season will be a reality check, we won''t go down I don''t think, but 15th and more TV money can only strengthen us as a club.[/quote]

IF!

AT THE MOMENT i CANNOT SEE US WIN ANY AWAY MATCH...sorry but the viewing has been terrible away from home, so predicting a win at Stoke is very optimistic to say the least;

We''ve had two games away so far, two, in what world is that a statistically significant amount to form a basis? Yes we were dogshite at Hull but the Spurs match was just them on fire that day. They outplayed cardiff at their own place even more and if it wasn''t for David Marshall (lol i know) it would have been 5 or 6. Cardiff had 0 shots on target at home. They are also no smaller than us as they spent £35m in summer.

A new manager is not always a magic formula, what about his ''bedding in'' period where we allow him to lose a few games while he ''gets used'' to us.

I''d say we''re 2 points off target at the moment, that''s no basis to sack the manager.

My other positive from Villa was Ryan Bennett, he looked much more assured when he came on.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]AT THE MOMENT i CANNOT SEE US WIN ANY AWAY MATCH...sorry but the viewing has been terrible away from home, so predicting a win at Stoke is very optimistic to say the least;[/quote]
Agreed, if we have more than 2 shots on target id be amazed unless Hughton suddenly change his tactics completely but I bet we see the same starting formation and very similar line up.

If we beat Stoke it will be a bloody miracle. We never do well there, we''re crap away from home, they''re better than they were last season and we could be without several key players who are either injured or unfit

Stoke aren''t all that, 1 more win than us this year, they have always had a stubborn defence but up front they are still lacking in my book. They drew with a slightly unlucky Man City, beat Crystal Palace at home (aren''t they amazing!...) and striker less West Ham away in the last few minutes. We need to do that to them which is entirely possible. Annoy them, p1ss them off and then nick a winner.

Plus it''s on Sky so how can we possibly fail to win... :-/

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]You could say that about most managers, i reckon of the 19 premiership managers in jobs, eventually 16 of them will be sacked as opposed to them leaving for bigger and better things.

I have seen how bad we are away from home, but i''ve seen our results over Swansea and Man City last season and we can actually play well occasionally away from home. Stoke are nothing special and I don''t see how getting a new manager in now or even worse an interim manager would improve our chances.

I do agree if we are still struggling (less than 8 points) after ten games then it''s time for Hughton to go.

You know what we''re like though, last year we started rubbish then beat Man U, Arsenal, Swansea away etc. It''s inconsistency, the problem of most teams in the league because it''s so competitive.

I''d be less hasty to say we''ll get nothing from Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City and also less hasty to say we''ll beat Cardiff. Yes any points from them would be a bonus but Sods law we''ll probably lose that, draw with Stoke and beat Arsenal and Chelsea! Last season, them three won just over half their games away suggesting the average premiership team can take a point a game off them when at home.

If there''s a positive to take from the Villa game, it''s Hoopers liveliness when he came on. I think we have to go with both him and RVW up top together be it away or at home, i''m still annoyed Hooper didn''t get his ''cameo'' vs Spurs so he could havve been ready to start vs Villa.[/quote]There''s been a tonne of consistency away from home, we''ve been really poor. P 21 W 2 D 7 L 12 F 16 A 41 Pt 13 Gd -25 with Hughton in charge.It looks like we have yet to win a game where the team has not revolted against the managers wishes. Swansea and Man City are the only two games we''ve given it a go and looking back I believe that Holty said to the team at the Liberty let''s get at them, the same at the Etihad. We average 0.76 goals a game away from home under Hughton compared to 1.26 under Lambert. Take out the Man City game and we''ve scored 4 goals in our last 12 games away from Carrow Road, can you see that changing this weekend at a ground where we haven''t scored in our last 4 visits and haven''t won since 1997. You must be the most overly optimistic person posting in this board if you honestly believe we''ll get any kind of result this weekend. But, I do hope you''re right. [:)]

I just think with the situation as it is, it could be sh1t or bust there, so we''ll go out and produce a game like Swansea away last season with the shackles off and Hooper and Olsson in the line up.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I just think with the situation as it is, it could be sh1t or bust there, so we''ll go out and produce a game like Swansea away last season with the shackles off and Hooper and Olsson in the line up.[/quote]Ahh, but last season that was a players revolt lead by Holt. He was very quickly shown the door at the end of last season so don''t expect a repeat of the Swansea, West Brom or Man City games any time soon. The revolution has been firmly crushed. Away from home it''s hold the line, 4 banks of 4 with at least one of the strikers helping to defend and what ever you do try not to pass the ball forwards too often as we don''t want to offend our hosts by scoring against them.

We had been warned, and we knew it in our hearts, that it would take time to weld a new squad with so many entirely new players into an effective team.

What I, at least, was not ready for was the failure of proven players to show us their skills. Elmander has shown little, RvW has fluffed the few chances he has had with one exception, Fer is not the towering presence we expected and Olsson seems not to have challenged the at times weak Garrido. Add to this Hooper''s injury and a less effective Snodgrass, and our malaise is explained. I would have also the collective failure to turn up at White Hart Lane. Spurs let us off with only two goals, there were elements of luck against Saints and  Everton without which the situation could have been dire. We perhaps did not enjoy so much luck against Villa, with a keeper who must have had one of his best games.

What concerns me  is that we do not yet seem to have learned how to provide service to RvW in nearly three months of training, never mind the absent Hooper. We have to hope that Ricky will not lose hope and confidence, or our recovery will be protracted.

Things do not look good, but what do they say about darkest before dawn? We badly need to thump Watford, or somebody else soon, to gain some confidence. It''s hard to win after a run of poor games if you don''t know where our goals are going to come from.

In the last two games we have seen Snodgrass tell Pilkington to f off about who takes a free kick , then take the pen away from RvW , Pilkington arguing with Garrido . There is a hell of a lot more wrong at Norwich right now than just results , its not a happy camp and if nothing is done very soon we will be playing Championship football next season .

I am in general in agreement with the OP, but not completely happy with eveything that has happened thsi season to date, but have a realistic expectation for what could happen this season.

As for Stoke City, watched them a couple of times live this season, and I actually think they are very decent, big and strong as you would expect and now play it around a little more than under Pullis, they troubled Arsenal way more than we troubled Spurs.

That said, I still think we do stand a very good chance of getting a point or three from the match, and really wouldnt see it as the end of the world if we didnt, but others of course will disagree big time on that. 

All I ask of CH this weekend is that he doesnt play Elmander, thats all :-)

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"]Take out the Man City game and we''ve scored 4 goals in our last 12 games away from Carrow Road[/quote]Why? Did that game not count towards our season''s total or something?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I seem to remember us being fairly free flowing under the last manager.

Unfortunately all the foundations left were ignored[/quote]And yet these retrograde steps still resulted in a higher placed finish than that managed by the aforementioned messiah!!