Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Fans? Or fickle, spoilt children?

All through the last three years - even though we have been successful - there has always been an undercurrent of people ready to knock the players and manager at the slightest thing. The Morison thing last year was unbelievable. The denigration of Ruddy at the start of last season was laughable. But you are always going to get a section of the fans who will moan at anything. You just have to hope that there are enough sensible people to drown out the noisy minority that are actually not helping the cause by their constantly finding fault for the sake of it.

The club is fantastic and has fantastic supporters. I think those that genuinely appreciate what is being done on the pitch and behind the scenes are in the vast majority and are keeping the faith.

We just need a goal or two to kick start the season - that would settle most of the supporters down, the genuinely concerned ones that is. The idiots will still be idiots, however well the club is doing. It seems to me that this message board is the minority''s mouthpiece and - thank goodness - not representative of what the true fans think or feel about the club.

I''m not a ''hughton outer''. And I feel like he should be given more time to turn it around. We had a 10 game unbeaten run last year that was excellent, I just feel like it''s a matter of time until he gets the right formation that works for everyone involved.

The trouble, I think it''s gone too far. Even if Hughton was to turn it around and start getting results - he''d still be slated. He can do no right in some peoples eyes. I feel sorry for him in some respects because the main culprits of the abuse are from fans who are still desperately bitter about the departure of Lambert.

He''ll get sacked I think down to the pressure of the fans. Which is a shame. We''ll appoint someone like Poyet - and subsequently get relegated.

The signs where there, if you want to experiment with tactics and formations do in pre season but all CH did was stick to the dross we witnessed for the latter part of last season. He is not going to change, so for this reason he has to go sooner rather than later.

I like to think of myself as a fickle, spoiled fan of Norwich City, with a firm grasp of the English language. But who needs that when you''re on a wind up anyway?

[quote user="Leak District Canary"]All through the last three years - even though we have been successful - there has always been an undercurrent of people ready to knock the players and manager at the slightest thing. The Morison thing last year was unbelievable. The denigration of Ruddy at the start of last season was laughable. But you are always going to get a section of the fans who will moan at anything. You just have to hope that there are enough sensible people to drown out the noisy minority that are actually not helping the cause by their constantly finding fault for the sake of it.

The club is fantastic and has fantastic supporters. I think those that genuinely appreciate what is being done on the pitch and behind the scenes are in the vast majority and are keeping the faith.

We just need a goal or two to kick start the season - that would settle most of the supporters down, the genuinely concerned ones that is. The idiots will still be idiots, however well the club is doing. It seems to me that this message board is the minority''s mouthpiece and - thank goodness - not representative of what the true fans think or feel about the club.[/quote]
Can you give me some numbers of how many true fans you know and what exactly they feel? I have been supporting Norwich all my life and I do not want to see us continue to play the way we have for the last 26 odd games. I don''t doubt the players try their hardest to win the game but if they are set out with a certain plan it makes it very hard, it feels like we set out to not loose every week and not to win, if you set out not to loose you are going to be under some serious pressure the whole game. I can not see how you can say people are constantly finding faults for the sake of it when they are clearly there and have been for a long time... you need to open your eyes.
Off the pitch I think we are doing some great stuff with the training ground improvements and what the youth team has achieved is nothing short of amazing. 

Exhibit A - Luton

Exhibit B - Hull

Exhibit C - Tottenham

Exhibit D - Villa

Now I would like to draw your attention to the following

Exhibit A - West Brom

Exhibit B - Man City

Exhibit C - Everton (in which Hughton admitted the players ''just went for it'')

Case closed, your honour.

Just want to add a controversial opinion on the youth team, have we really achieved much? None of them have either been sold for millions or broken into the first team, until that''s done, i can''t consider what they have done as a big achievement yet but the signs are good, don''t get me wrong.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]It''s a confidence thing, the shackles were off versus Man City.[/quote]
The players might have been let loose a bit but also Man City were already on the beech.... there were many opportunities for the Man City players to get some tackles in but they pulled out of a lot so they wouldn''t get injured, that''s IMO. 

Interesting listening to Warnock''s view on managing on the wireless this morning.  He said (more or less) a new manager should look at his team. and access the best formation for the players he has. Not pick a system/formation etc and try and make the players fit.
The latter is what Hughton did, and we farted and spluttered all the way through.  Trouble is now, which imo, is why fans are peeved.  Hughton has made large player changes and we''re still farting and spluttering.

Good post LDC, problem is it will generally be the nosy minority who will respond and use it as another opportunity to be negative and drive the CH out drivel.

As I live 200 miles away from CR there are few games I can get to, so I am not in  a position to criticise fanes when spend so much time and money supporting the team home and away, week by week. They are dedicated and committed.

It has become the case in recent years, however, that their commitment often makes them very critical. Almost from the very beginning of the season even slight disappointment has led to attacks. There must be six or seven posting threads on here demanding the immediate resignation of Hughton. I have supported the team for over sixty years, and  such criticism seems a recent thing. Of course, it is possible to argue that until the last decade or two we did not have any great success, merely distant hopes. It is also possible to suggest that until the internet, with sites like this, there was no opportunity for such public praise or criticism.  We walked home grumbling, but within a day or two we were optimistically looking forward to the next game. Whatever the case, "public" utterances on here now have more force than even what is shouted at matches. They keep the pot boiling all the week, and escalate grievances.

There have been some very disappointing results, with perhaps our failure to beat a 10 man Hull the worst. We take it to heart, especially as in not a single match yet have we shown what we rate as our collective skills, and at White Hart Lane we didn''t seem to turn up. The longer this goes on the more resigned the players will come to failure, but fierce criticism will reinforce it and not help. The players are human beings, with feelings, and as long as there are no dressing room issues, players and managers need encouragement, not calls for their heads! Our criticism doesn''t help a largely new squad or the manager to find the most effective means of success. It makes their task harder!

There are things that puzzle us - why has Olsson, an international, not played, especially as we are vulnerable to pace down our left? Why, when we were struggling to create chances did we persevere with the essentially non-creative Johnson?  We don''t know what happens in training, what injuries are being carried, or what settling-in problems there may be. We don''t know what intentions were in the mind of the manager in the team and tactics he used.

By all means let rip at manager or players during matches! But don''t nurse and accumulate failure by utterance on here!

[quote user="Leak District Canary"]this message board is the minority''s mouthpiece- not representative of what the true fans think or feel about the club.[/quote]How can you tell what the ''true fans'' feel from where you are Lakey? I met a lot of very unhappy fans on Saturday, could you hear and see them on your stream?[quote user="Leak District Canary"]this message board is the minority''s mouthpiece.....[/quote]Lol! [:D]

I would put myself in the "concerned" camp. I went to the two home friendlies and I came away thinking that I had not seen any departure from the usual tactics, which surprised me somewhat. I understand that these games were close to the start of the season, however I thought I might have seen CH trying one or two different tactics out, rather than the usual setting us up not to lose. I do not think we played particularly bady against Villa, my concern is that CH does not instill me with confidence. At half tme on Saturday I just kept thinking "nice bloke, but has he got what it takes to light a fire under the team and change things". I am sure you will say that the public persona and private persona are two different things, and you are probably right, that said CH still does not instill me with confidence, if I feel like that I cannot help wondering if some of the players feel like that also........ 

[quote user="lappinitup"]When you have a Lakey with a Leaky...fed by a dodgy stream...you''re bound to get flooded with carp.[;)]
[/quote]

Yesterday Leaky was Peaky but it took until today for Lakey to Wakey up to the fact. [:P]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Disclaimer -This thread is not one of mine.

[/quote]

Ahh here you are Lakey! There were a few posters worried about you and I''m sure they''re all glad to see you''re ok[Y]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Disclaimer -

This thread is not one of mine.

[/quote]

Put together on the same computer though hey Lakey.Leaky and Peaky. [;)]

Nice to see you there LDC, as I have said before you ain''t a bad lad!

Do your own thing buddy!