Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Stand By Your Manager!

Yes I understand that we need to see more open and attacking football but against Villa, despite somehow not scoring, we managed 12 attempts on goal and 64% possession. I think it''s clear from the home games where we got a point and 2 goals against the only still unbeaten team in the league, beat Southampton who just defeated Liverpool and played well against Villa that Hughton is trying to play more expansively and some fans need to have more patience. Away from home it''s a different story, we need to seriously improve our counter attacking skills to get more points on the road. Despite that, against Hull we were not terrible and had most of the ball but just lacked that clinical finish against a compact Hull side. Spurs were on top form so it was always going to be difficult but we should have put up more of a fight.

Hughton has made great signings and although I disagreed with his decision to play Garrido instead of Olsson, I think he should have the chance to get the new signings gelling together.

Frankly the abuse he got for taking Redmond off was disgusting, because Redmond was fading in the game like most young players do and probably needs more top flight football before he can be effective for the entire 90 minutes. Maybe if the Barclay and the Snake Pit had put in as much effort into supporting the team than arguing with Hughton''s decisions we could have created a better atmosphere.

Stoke away will be a tough game but I hope we will play more expansively, even if we lose I still think the performance is important at this stage of the season because if we play like we did against Villa (and not miss every penalty) we will win more games than we lose.

Finally if your so bored with our style of football and still love Judas Lambert why don''t you get lost to Villa Park, otherwise let''s be ''avin you get behind the team and Hughton.

Yellow Messiah wrote the following post at 2013-09-24 12:18 AM:

Yes I understand that we need to see more open and attacking football but against Villa, despite somehow not scoring, we managed 12 attempts on goal and 64% possession. I think it''s clear from the home games where we got a point and 2 goals against the only still unbeaten team in the league, beat Southampton who just defeated Liverpool and played well against Villa that Hughton is trying to play more expansively and some fans need to have more patience. Away from home it''s a different story, we need to seriously improve our counter attacking skills to get more points on the road. Despite that, against Hull we were not terrible and had most of the ball but just lacked that clinical finish against a compact Hull side. Spurs were on top form so it was always going to be difficult but we should have put up more of a fight.

Hughton has made great signings and although I disagreed with his decision to play Garrido instead of Olsson, I think he should have the chance to get the new signings gelling together.

Frankly the abuse he got for taking Redmond off was disgusting, because Redmond was fading in the game like most young players do and probably needs more top flight football before he can be effective for the entire 90 minutes. Maybe if the Barclay and the Snake Pit had put in as much effort into supporting the team than arguing with Hughton''s decisions we could have created a better atmosphere.

Stoke away will be a tough game but I hope we will play more expansively, even if we lose I still think the performance is important at this stage of the season because if we play like we did against Villa (and not miss every penalty) we will win more games than we lose.

Finally if your so bored with our style of football and still love Judas Lambert why don''t you get lost to Villa Park, otherwise let''s be ''avin you get behind the team and Hughton.

What a load of bo**ocks - why like so many others do you think it''s all about one game? FFS our manager has presided over 5 wins from the last 27 premier league matches - we were knocked our if the FA cup by a non-league team, and absolutely hammered by Villa in the league cup who at the time could not buy a win! He spends z27 million pounds - and what has changed? Nothing. Wise up!

Well said Doc. People who slate off a manager who brought in players like Wolfy, Hooper, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker, Fer, Redmond and Olson have problems.

Good points OP. It seems that we''re trying to both accomodate new players and change to a more expansive style, so it will take time whether the manager is changed or not. But it has to be said that to some extent there''s a degree of selectiveness, both positive and negative, in some of the analysis on here.There''s an element of comparing apples to oranges in looking at the past 25 odd games, eg we arguably have a better team now than before and the poor run from after last Christmas might not be repeated this season. The selection of time period, start and end points is always somewhat abitrary, plus there''s always a degree of randomness when analysing things like football results. The latter could just mean that there''s an element of natural variation to make a particular run poorer than normal.I''m not saying we''ve done particularly well results wise, but we''re maybe not as badly off as some of the stats might suggest.

He has had a fair crack of the whip in my opinion. lots of posters at the end of last season said he needed the summer to build his own team before we should judge him on his style of play. (me not one of them it must be said i''ve wanted him gone for a while) He has now had 5 games into the new season to prove to us fans that after around 30 million of investment we are going to play a brand of football that not only gets results but is easier on the eye. Only we''ve not improved on either. Historically our form always dips after Christmas so if we are not going to pick up points now we could well be down and out of it. at the moment Us, Palace and Sunderland look certainties to be relegated