Sign in to follow this  
Tiffey Boy

Hughton comments re. penalty this morning on Radio Norfolk

He was saying the Guzan ''encroached'' before the penalty was taken, well he was certainly moving before the ball was kicked, in fact to me he was already diving to his left, so wtf didn''t Snodgrass simply put it to the other side, simples

The issue is the ''keeper must be on his line.

When he actually "saved" the kick, he was about 2-3 yards off his line. Should have been retaken.

Either way, Snoddy should never have taken it

Poor sour grapes moan, i thought he was better than that. Guzan had one foot off his line in order to make the dive. The real person who should be getting the brunt of it should be Snodgrass (in private obviously!) It was poor professionalism from him and the least he could have done would be to take a good penalty. It was perfect height for Guzan and not far enough in the corner. RVW would have sent him the wrong way.

A friend sits in the lower Barclay.

Snoddy took the ball off Ricky with the comment "You''re not f ucking have it"

I think that RvW should have taken it. He has a reliable shot and took them for former clubs. Snoddy''s record with free kicks is a little inconsistent in any case. RvW needs to score goals to restore his confidence

More important CH apparently wanted/expected RvW to take any penalty. Had he said so to the team? Did the captain not intervene and rule on this? Is it good if there is uncertainty, and slackness which enables any player in the team to grab the ball and take the shot?  I hope after this episode things are made clear to the captain and team.

There should be a reserve taker and even a third choice, but the option always goes to penalty taker number 1 until he misses one. If RVW felt a bit nervous and wanted to pass the ball on, fair enough, but Snoddy had no right to take the kick from him.

Who won the penalty anyway? There''s sometimes a theme that goes round (usually at Sunday league level) that the ''winner'' of the penalty takes it (especially if he''s made enough of a meal over it!)

Alby wrote: A friend sits in the lower Barclay.

Snoddy took the ball off Ricky with the comment "You''re not f ucking have it"

I really hope this isn''t true. Feel desperately sorry for RVW if this is the case. And utterly fuming at Snodgrass - what a complete tube.

Better hope tomorrow night at Watford does not go to penalties as I am struggling to see who would take them.

You want your main striker to score goals whenever possible. There is nothing worse for a striker than a goal drought, so when we win a penalty the main striker should be taking it, unless he isn''t up for it. If i was Hughton i would be fuming with Snodgrass

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Better hope tomorrow night at Watford does not go to penalties as I am struggling to see who would take them.[/quote]

I reckon Josh Murphy would be well up for taking one![Y]

Guzan was clearly well off his line so it should have been retaken, but then watching on BT it was clearly not a penalty in the first place.

As for the OP''s comment that Snoddy should just have put it to the other side - every piece of advice on taking penalties I''ve read says it''s a disaster to change your mind at the last moment.

what worries me more than anything is hoots stood and watched all this happen ! one why didn''t he tell snoddy he isn''t the taker leave it to rvw 2 why didn''t he sub him straight after for disobeying club orders ?

that''s what I dislike about CH tells the media after I thought / wanted RVW to take it .......fergie wouldn''t have answered that as he would still have been tearing strips off the player !

[quote user="Death by Chocolate Starfish"][quote user="First Wizard"]Any excuse from the manager eh?[/quote]Not really an excuse, more of a fact[/quote]

How about this for a fact. A professional Manager has sent a professional team out onto the pitch not knowing who the penalty taker is. The senior player (because he has been here longer !) pulled rank. Can you imagine Ashley Young grabbing the ball off RVP as he is more senior having been at the Club longer? This episode is pathetic, reflects extremely badly on the Manager and perhaps gives an illustration of what is currently happening at the Club

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/premier_league_podcast_norwich_city_0_aston_villa_1_1_2797112and look at the picture.... Do we blame Snoddy and his petulance and ego for Saturday?

For the above comment, there is very little a manager can do from 50 yards away when a player snatches the ball to take a pen. So to try to apportion blame to Hughton for not running on the pitch and laying down the law is ridiculous

With regard to the retake, it should have been, the keeper has to keep contact with the line until the ball is kicked, he is allowed to take one foot off the line as long as the other stays in contact. In the world of goal line technology, the linesperson (PC) has one job, to ensure the GK keeps contact with the line until the ball is kicked. There is no reason else for them to come closer to play.

Secondly, there were about 4/5 players encroaching, this is the job of the referee to police, when one of these players is able to get the rebound (attacker or defender) it should be a retake

The issue with penalties now is that they are not policed in the correct way and no effort is made to stop a keeper from coming off the line, by coming off the line and diving at an angle out from the goal the wide covered by the keeper will take them to almost the corners of the goal

[quote user="JC"]For the above comment, there is very little a manager can do from 50 yards away when a player snatches the ball to take a pen. So to try to apportion blame to Hughton for not running on the pitch and laying down the law is ridiculous

With regard to the retake, it should have been, the keeper has to keep contact with the line until the ball is kicked, he is allowed to take one foot off the line as long as the other stays in contact. In the world of goal line technology, the linesperson (PC) has one job, to ensure the GK keeps contact with the line until the ball is kicked. There is no reason else for them to come closer to play.

Secondly, there were about 4/5 players encroaching, this is the job of the referee to police, when one of these players is able to get the rebound (attacker or defender) it should be a retake

The issue with penalties now is that they are not policed in the correct way and no effort is made to stop a keeper from coming off the line, by coming off the line and diving at an angle out from the goal the wide covered by the keeper will take them to almost the corners of the goal[/quote]

I think you need to get real. The manager needs to send his players out with clear instructions so things like this do not happen. Clearly, the club and team captains were not aware who the designated penalty taker was as surely they would have done something about it. The whole thing smacked of amateurish incompetence and should never have happened. A clear case of if you fail to prepare you prepare to fail. Let''s hope that a painful lesson has been learnt. 

Just seems to be clutching at straws to be honest. a professional football club should always have a dedicated penalty taker. It is discipline within the squad that they respect that role, so for Snoddy to ignore this for me shows a lack of respect for the manager and the team.

There was plenty of time to walk down the sideline and tell Snoddy to backoff. Or for the manager to wave frantically from his spot to get the captain''s attention and tell him to get Snoddy off the ball, if walking the sideline is not allowed.

There is no acceptable reason the wrong player took the penalty.

oh come on when have you ever seen a manager march down the touchline and shout at the penalty taker in front of 27,000. And as if other players would have stepped in, when Snodgrass picks the ball up and looks that determined then the players expect him to stick it away. It seemed very obvious to me by Hughton''s post match comments and the more recent comments today that he had selected RVW as penalty taker but Snodgrass picked up the ball instead. Hughton was never going to come out and say it straight because he wouldn''t want to look like a fool with Snodgrass paying no attention to his tactics. I can''t believe that every single negative thing that happens is immediately attributed to Hughton in one way or another. Unbelievable.

Any professional footballer from midfield to forward should be able to take a penalty comfortably.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]

what worries me more than anything is hoots stood and watched all this happen ! one why didn''t he tell snoddy he isn''t the taker leave it to rvw 2 why didn''t he sub him straight after for disobeying club orders ?

that''s what I dislike about CH tells the media after I thought / wanted RVW to take it .......fergie wouldn''t have answered that as he would still have been tearing strips off the player !

[/quote]

Very much this!

Shows ill discipline in players right through to management IMO!

[quote user="JC"]For the above comment, there is very little a manager can do from 50 yards away when a player snatches the ball to take a pen. So to try to apportion blame to Hughton for not running on the pitch and laying down the law is ridiculous

The issue with penalties now is that they are not policed in the correct way and no effort is made to stop a keeper from coming off the line, by coming off the line and diving at an angle out from the goal the wide covered by the keeper will take them to almost the corners of the goal[/quote]

This is just making excuses for both the manager and the missed penalty.

You can hear Hughtons voice a mile away so to say he can''t intervene from the sideline is stupid. If anything he would have called a senior player over and made him intervene.