Sign in to follow this  
I Love Fernando Derveld

A question for the Hughton Out brigade

I have been a Hughton fan, yet after Saturday''s performance when there was no plan B and a clear lack of leadership on anf off the pitch I am starting to doubt if hes the right man for the job. Bit it seems clear the board will give him some more time, but how long? If we lose today and next weekend I can see the atmosphere for the chelsea match being posionous, but I''m not sure even if we win tomorrow and get a point at Soke it will be any better seeming as it appears at least 50% of the fans have given up on the idea of Hughton ever being a success here, and don''t want to give him any more time to turn it around. So My question is - if results improve but the tactics stay the same, will you still want Hughton Out??

Very much doubt results will improve - judging by our performances this season confidence in the squad is low and the frustration has started to manifest into arguments between the players.

Personally I want him out - he is always going to be overly cautious in my book. Whereas I don''t expect to go out and beat the likes of Spurs etc, I find it rather depressing that we seem to accept our fate before the game and go down without a fight - and I think judging by some of the players'' demeanor and comments they don''t like it either.

"A brigade is a major tactical military formation that is typically composed of three to six battalions plus supporting elements. It is roughly equivalent to an enlarged or reinforced regiment."

Seems all a bit unnecessary when a weak chorus of "you don''t know what you''re doing" has already got the CH loyalists in a panic!

Unfortunately I''m in the Hughton out group. I can''t see results improving, especially away from home. I thought we were the better side against Southampton at home, but we were by no means amazing.

If results improve but tactics stay the same then I would be inclined to give him a little longer to see how things go. However, I don''t think it would be long before results became poor again.

I think when Hughton''s NCFC resign ends, and I think it will end quite soon, his time here will be summed up by his quote after the Everton home game last season:

"At 1-1 I was happy with the point, but the players clearly wanted the win". Exactly, Chris. Exactly.

Even if we were to somehow win the next six on the bounce, I''d still want him Out. Results aren''t the be all and end all. If all i was bothered about was results, i''d pick a top six team to support. I love this club, but the 13 months of anti-football under Hughton is destroying my enthusiasm for going to games, home and away. He''s demonstrated that he''s incapable of changing his outlook on the game.

And as for those who bleat on that ''there''s no-one better out there'', well, there''s always someone better out there, the trick is identifying them. But you can''t just stick with one man, no matter how tiresome and tedious he is, just because the next manager might turn out to be a flop as well!

If we lose tonight the hughton outers must orchestrate our efforts on twitter to mcnasty to say enough is enough. If the weight of tweets shows the general feeling is that the majority want him out hopefully he will buckle under the pressure and act to save our season

I do not like Hughton. It''s not personal but I have NEVER thought he wanted to be here.I did not think he was an exciting or good choice to start with.The 10 game run made me think I was wrong but I was one of those who was worried after Fulham last season and I think even if results improve I will be harder to win around this time.IF he can improve results and make us look like a stable prem team then I will be happy, I just don''t see it happening.On another note- was anyone else worried by the fact that, on Canary Call, 45 minutes after full time Hughton said he had not yet spoken to the players?

I cant see the results improving what so ever, the players look demoralised.

We need a change, although who the new manager would be is the next question.

I honestly can''t see Hughton making it till Christmas, if we lose tonight I think that could be the end of Hughton, even if we win tonight I can see him going.

The fans are making there thoughts clear now.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]"A brigade is a major tactical military formation that is typically composed of three to six battalions plus supporting elements. It is roughly equivalent to an enlarged or reinforced regiment."

Seems all a bit unnecessary when a weak chorus of "you don''t know what you''re doing" has already got the CH loyalists in a panic![/quote]Not in  panic, and nor am I a ''Hughton Loyalisy'', read my post, I clearly stated I am starting to have doubts too, but for me if results improvem, I will be happy with Hughton, whereas for many people it is the style of football which is the major issue.Lets not turn this into (another) Pro-Hughton vs anti-Hughton debate. we''ve had plenty of them on here already.

I think all those - including myself - who think we need replace Hughton should not focus so much on whether we beat Watford or Stoke or Chelsea. Surely we should centre our attention on a longer pattern and the potential that the pattern will continue. We all have different expectations and desires from our club and no-one should breate others for saying ''I want to stay up at all costs'', ''I want to be entertained'' or ''Hughton did a great job for keeping us up last year, so he should be given time''.

Since I went to my first game in 1977 I have always loved the excitement and spectacle of a team that has a go. Get''s stuck in. Attacks. Maybe loses, but loses with style.

So my personal take on where we are now is that my weekends are filled with disappointment, not because we lose, but because we seem constipated. And that must come down - in the main - to the manager.

I want to feel a sense of optimism, of excitement, of ''we can be....''.

For most of last season and this I have been filled with a flat sense of ''a football system''. It''s a system. It''s thought through: you can see the plan, but my, is it overly contrived and restrictive.

Unless we can get the players plaing, make them feel a real sense of freedom (within a basic system of course), then my Saturday nights in Asia pursuading my wife that I need to go and watch the football will wane.

I want to do something interesting on a Saturday...

Please, let''s be entertained.

The post above is excellent and one of the best I''ve ever seen regarding Chris Hughton.

For the majority of us who want him out, it''s not personal; we just want a bit of excitement on a Saturday afternoon.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Unfortunately I''m in the Hughton out group. I can''t see results improving, especially away from home. I thought we were the better side against Southampton at home, but we were by no means amazing.

If results improve but tactics stay the same then I would be inclined to give him a little longer to see how things go. However, I don''t think it would be long before results became poor again.

I think when Hughton''s NCFC resign ends, and I think it will end quite soon, his time here will be summed up by his quote after the Everton home game last season:

"At 1-1 I was happy with the point, but the players clearly wanted the win". Exactly, Chris. Exactly.[/quote]That comment says far more than just what is the approach of Hughton - it tells you much of what is going on between him and the players. Saturdays penalty merely underlined things, when a player decides he will do as he thinks (take the penalty) and not what we have to assume the manager wants. If Hughton had wanted the players to defend te draw against Everton then he should have made that clear to the players and they should have stuck to it - rather than stuck two fingers up. This was seen at home to WBA, despite the anquished squeaks from the dogmatic faithful "players wouldn''t go against the manager "  where they also wanted a win. It should come as no surprise that stuff like this reaches the local media and they will target the players they know to be a the forefront of any unrest. Snodgrass and Holt spoke about disagreements with the style of p;ay and Bassong and Ruddy have added to taht discontent recently. Players will forgive any accept most stuff if the team is winning. We are not. The guff about poor Hughton having to struggle with all these terrible lower league players and would show us all what he could do once he had brought in his own men has been rightly blown out of the water this season.I''m not sure what the real problem is. There has been more of an air of attack this season and we do have players like Fer and Redmond who have shown immediate ''success''. We could have score a few against Villa and yet I still think these conversations would be happening.The bottom line is I don''t think Chris Hughton is the man for this job. He has never looked comfortable with the job and always given off an air of wanting to be elsewhere. I suspect the board knows this and will be taking a bit of time over securing a replacement.Sorry Chris, but I think to paraphrase a tired old cliche that is often used in other break ups -"it''s not us, it''s you"time for one party to call a halt to this period in the club''s history

Row D Seat 7 wrote:

"At 1-1 I was happy with the point, but the players clearly wanted the win". Exactly, Chris. Exactly.

That was an amazing statement for ANY manager to come out with and sums up completely the mind set of Hughton. I simply cannot buy that he should be given more time - our performances and style of play have not altered from day one of his tenure to the current day. Yes we have new strikers, but we had useful strikers before and they couldn''t score goals, and our current crop cannot either, and that is down to the methods, game plans, tactics and style that our manager wishes to play. If he stays, so will the results. A leopard does not change it''s spots, and attacking football, be it with one striker or two, I salient to him, Calderwood and Trollope.

I think Chris Hughton can keep us up and once Hooper gets going I think results and performances will improve. I can see him working well with RVW.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I think Chris Hughton can keep us up and once Hooper gets going I think results and performances will improve. I can see him working well with RVW.[/quote]

Can I have some of what you are on. Thanks

Mr Angry wrote the following post at 2013-09-24 8:05 PM:

I think Chris Hughton can keep us up and once Hooper gets going I think results and performances will improve. I can see him working well with RVW.

And in what games do you expect to see RVW and HOOPER starting together? The tactics used by Hughton are not conducive to both starting the same match.

I used to really look forward to going to away games (Carrow Rd is just too much of a journey from where I live), and always justified the expense and time on the basis of it being a good day out. Trips last season to the likes of Stoke, Wigan and Newcastle were just depressing however, and I currently can''t muster up the same enthusiasm to take on the long trip from the north of Scotland to watch us not have even a shot at goal. This makes me feel more sad than angry, and I do hope things improve. I''d like Hughton to succeed, but at the moment he''s killing it as an attractive day out.

I like to think I''m realistic about the level of entertainment on view, and the likelihood of winning much of the time, but the "constipated" description used by another poster just sums it up. Even Grant and Roeder attempted to go forward away from home.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Mr Angry wrote the following post at 2013-09-24 8:05 PM:

And in what games do you expect to see RVW and HOOPER starting together? The tactics used by Hughton are not conducive to both starting the same match.[/quote]

I can''t see why he wouldn''t start Hooper in the next league game in place of Elmander.