Sign in to follow this  
bringbackchippy

HUGHTON SACKED.

The question for me revolves around the last 2 games of last season. Did CH tell the team to go out and play like that or did the lads ignore his instructions and do it themselves (if you get what I mean). If it is the former then it proves that he can do it and the question is why the hell is he not doing it now. If it is the latter then it proves that the players can do it and, by ignoring his instructions, he has indeed ''lost the dressing room'' and needs to go before any more damage is done.

[quote user="Herman "]Seattle. You basically gave Hughton one game of the new season to prove you wrong. You''re mind was already made up about him and that is what angers me. I apologise if I appear to be grumpy, but that is because I am.[/quote]Hughton went to Hull and Spurs and played for a point with dire drab football and got nothing. Nothing has changed from last season even though his followers said wait and see because this season will be different due to the players we have. I have seen enough to tell me that his philosophy will not change.  Does anybody really believe we will try to win the next away game with an attacking display ? I don''t think so somehow. More of the same, methinks while we watch sides such as Hull trying to win away and achieving it. We now need three of Hughton''s draws to match the same three points Hull got at Newcastle. We will go down unless this away attitude changes. 

[quote user="Scooby"]The question for me revolves around the last 2 games of last season. Did CH tell the team to go out and play like that or did the lads ignore his instructions and do it themselves (if you get what I mean). If it is the former then it proves that he can do it and the question is why the hell is he not doing it now. If it is the latter then it proves that the players can do it and, by ignoring his instructions, he has indeed ''lost the dressing room'' and needs to go before any more damage is done.[/quote]

I agree with this. I think understanding this point would be the single most illuminating bit of info in relation to the current Hoot debate because it would show whether the current (mainly away) performances are largely down to the players themselves feeling the pressure and lacking belief thus going into their shell and dropping deep or whether their natural attacking flow is being stifled by the managements tactics/approach. I would love to be able to speak to a player and ask them.

There are delusions of grandeur on this site when it comes to managerial sackings and Delia outers,sack the boarders etc. It has been proven many times over the years the we pinkun posters are very much in the minority. This site represents a tiny minority of the fan base and is populated by many noisy extremists and an equal number of pacifists but the vast majority of the fan base are not even aware this little corner of ours exists and it''s that vast majority who are listened to. Over the years very little of which that has been spoken of here has been sanctioned by the club let alone even noticed. Basically we are all pis sing into the wind.

[quote user="InchY van Foxtodger"]There are delusions of grandeur on this site when it comes to managerial sackings and Delia outers,sack the boarders etc. It has been proven many times over the years the we pinkun posters are very much in the minority. This site represents a tiny minority of the fan base and is populated by many noisy extremists and an equal number of pacifists but the vast majority of the fan base are not even aware this little corner of ours exists and it''s that vast majority who are listened to. Over the years very little of which that has been spoken of here has been sanctioned by the club let alone even noticed. Basically we are all pis sing into the wind.[/quote]

Not sure about that. I accept this site is a small proportion and think it probably represents both ends of the spectrum more than it does the vast "middle ground" of our support who just turn up and watch us at home but don''t feel that strongly over the manager, tactics etc. and thus don;t post on messageboards 24/7 but i do think there is a good cross section of fans and views on this board.

I would also say that of the people I attend games with (10 of us all STs) not one wants Hughton to remain as manager. Now obviously we are all friends so tend to have similar views on certain things but we are also quite a diverse group and its quite unusual for us to all be in agreement on something Norwich city related.

i also don;t detect any real enthusiasm for Hughton amongst the hard core away support but then perhaps that''s not such a big surprise given what they have had to endure!

It''s about voicing opinions Jim, that vast middle ground of support will have an opinion either way and as you said discuss it amongst friends but would they vocally voice that opinion in or outside the ground in the form of Hughton out chants etc

For the record I was never happy with the appointment in the first place but feel sacking him now would have an adverse effect so I''m still firmly in the keep him camp for a least 5 more games.

Yet again we have a so called reliable poster with the sheep following him suggesting "he''s never been wrong before". Hughton is not going to be sacked anytime soon.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]SeattleCanary wrote the following post at 23/09/2013 5:30 AM:

".... when it seems now that the majority are in the Hughton out camp..."

Absolute, deluded BS. You don''t understand this forum and you don''t understand football (much like the handful of idiots in the Barclay on Saturday).[/quote]
No Joanna Grey. Last time I looked last night there was a yes or no debate about 5 pages long, and at that time the majority was Hughton out, over keeping him. I haven''t checked since then, but it was enough to suggest it was 2 or 3 people.
I understand football perfectly fine thank you. So do shut up. You''re obnoxiously judgemental, and I care not for your off topic ramble.

[quote user="Herman "]Seattle. You basically gave Hughton one game of the new season to prove you wrong. You''re mind was already made up about him and that is what angers me. I apologise if I appear to be grumpy, but that is because I am.[/quote]
I understand. But although posting after the second game of the season, my frustration had carried over from last December/January time. I realise now the 10 game unbeaten run was a blip, and I did not see the point relegation-doom-mongering posting on here, as it wasn''t going to change anything.
Now though, Hughton has had 3 transfer windows, and even our former manager is quoted in saying that there are very few lads left at the club that played under him. So with a whole summer to prepare, and build a squad, I chose to post purely from the performances and how they haven''t improved and show no sign of improving. I left calling for Hughtons head alone last season as it was a transition stage, but this season we have carried on as if we didn''t even have a whole summer off to reevaluate and prepare.
Like many have said, it isn''t 5 games, its more like 25.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]SeattleCanary wrote the following post at 23/09/2013 5:30 AM:

".... when it seems now that the majority are in the Hughton out camp..."

Absolute, deluded BS. You don''t understand this forum and you don''t understand football (much like the handful of idiots in the Barclay on Saturday).[/quote]
No Joanna Grey. Last time I looked last night there was a yes or no debate about 5 pages long, and at that time the majority was Hughton out, over keeping him. I haven''t checked since then, but it was enough to suggest it was 2 or 3 people.
I understand football perfectly fine thank you. So do shut up. You''re obnoxiously judgemental, and I care not for your off topic ramble.
[/quote]
*More than 2 or 3 people*

No sacking then. The OP was telling blatant fibs.

Saturday was obviously gutting for us fans, not only were we poor, lacking in ideas and quality, but we lost to Lambert for the third time in under a year at Carrow Road, which is tough to take especially having to watch him jump all over his players at the end. I believe the difference on Saturday was Paul Lambert. Clearly the better manager of the two. Man for man, most of our players are better than Villa''s IMO. They just have a much better manager and better back room staff.

I''m not a fan who particularly cares how we look to the wider footballing world. If we were to sack CH now then the media, football people etc would wonder what the hell we were doing, just like they did when Newcastle sacked Hughton, like they did when we sacked Gunn. Both proved to be the right decisions. Pundits and fellow managers are then not quite so vocal when the decision to sack proves successful so who cares how we look to others.

I believe Hughton has until the next international break. I think he has 3 more games to save his job. A beating tomorrow, a beating at Stoke and a beating at home to Chelsea and that''s it I think. I can''t see us improving very much at all in the coming weeks under CH and I think we will finish the season with a different manager.

I hope that manager is Martin O''Neill. I realise many will see his time at Sunderland as a failure, but I think he still has plenty to offer and should be brought in until May, initially, then assess his position next summer. One concern I have with O''Neill is he tends to overpay for average players, but he has worked with McNally before at Celtic and I do believe this would be a much better move for us. However, O''Neill is likely to take the Ireland job any day now. Wish they''d offer it to Hughton.

[quote user="InchY van Foxtodger"]There are delusions of grandeur on this site when it comes to managerial sackings and Delia outers,sack the boarders etc. It has been proven many times over the years the we pinkun posters are very much in the minority. This site represents a tiny minority of the fan base and is populated by many noisy extremists and an equal number of pacifists but the vast majority of the fan base are not even aware this little corner of ours exists and it''s that vast majority who are listened to. Over the years very little of which that has been spoken of here has been sanctioned by the club let alone even noticed. Basically we are all pis sing into the wind.[/quote]

I hear what you''re saying, that this message board is often unrepresentative of the views of the majority of fans in the stands. This time I think the situation is different, inasmuch as I think you will find roughly a 50/50 split divided between outers and keep-the-faithers. Butler and McVeigh talked about a 50/50 split on their Radio Norfolk programme last week. My view is: Chris Hughton sounds a lovely chap and very likeable, but sadly he is doing a terrible job here and so it is time to get rid ASAP.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]No sacking then. The OP was telling blatant fibs.

Saturday was obviously gutting for us fans, not only were we poor, lacking in ideas and quality, but we lost to Lambert for the third time in under a year at Carrow Road, which is tough to take especially having to watch him jump all over his players at the end. I believe the difference on Saturday was Paul Lambert. Clearly the better manager of the two. Man for man, most of our players are better than Villa''s IMO. They just have a much better manager and better back room staff.

I''m not a fan who particularly cares how we look to the wider footballing world. If we were to sack CH now then the media, football people etc would wonder what the hell we were doing, just like they did when Newcastle sacked Hughton, like they did when we sacked Gunn. Both proved to be the right decisions. Pundits and fellow managers are then not quite so vocal when the decision to sack proves successful so who cares how we look to others.

I believe Hughton has until the next international break. I think he has 3 more games to save his job. A beating tomorrow, a beating at Stoke and a beating at home to Chelsea and that''s it I think. I can''t see us improving very much at all in the coming weeks under CH and I think we will finish the season with a different manager.

I hope that manager is Martin O''Neill. I realise many will see his time at Sunderland as a failure, but I think he still has plenty to offer and should be brought in until May, initially, then assess his position next summer. One concern I have with O''Neill is he tends to overpay for average players, but he has worked with McNally before at Celtic and I do believe this would be a much better move for us. However, O''Neill is likely to take the Ireland job any day now. Wish they''d offer it to Hughton.[/quote]

Were we poor. lacking in ideas and quality? Really? Their goalkeeper was MOM and Lambert went straight to him at the end of the game.

The difference probably was Paul Lambert because he continually gets results against the clubs around him. These results keep his clubs up. But is he the exception or the norm? It seems Hughton is berated in comparison to Lambert even though he finished above him last season. We wouldn''t be comparing Hughton to Lambert in such a way if he wasn''t our former manager.

How about Martin O''Neill? I believe he has a good record against Lambert but Sunderland were poor last season compared to Norwich. Martin O''neils away record with Sunderland wasn''t very different to Hughton''s at Norwich. In fact Hughton''s away record is hardly awful compared to the teams around us. 7 other clubs lost 10 or more away games. If one of our away draws had been a win we would have been about average for a bottom half club.

So are some supporters being unrealistic in comparing us to Lambert and also with their expectations? Or am I being little old Norwich?

I think his time is up. I think its unfortunate but there are too many doubters and the damage is done. The boo''s on Saturday say it all.

The players are aware of the fans discontent which is dangerous. It gives the players an excuse for poor performances, knowing that the manger will be blamed before their performance is scrutinised. I didn''t like the way Pilkington reacted to Garrido either, another telling piece of evidence of an unhappy camp. 

Football doesn''t allow time anymore, and Hughton has had his. The simple truth is that we are in the same position as we were last season despite spending a huge sum of money. We haven''t progressed and bar an extraordinary 10 game run last season we''ve been very poor. The chances of repeating that run are low and we''ve already dropped big points to teams who will compete with us to beat the drop.

It crazy really. We''re a premier league club, something we spent years trying to achieve, yet we''re all deflated and pissed off with the current situation. Its not always about winning, we know we can''t expect to win often in this league, but its the manor of performances that''s made supporting Norwich rubbish at the minute. No passion, fight or excitement. Just mind numbing, boring, pointless football. I think its fair to say Norwich City fans are fed up of supporting the current Norwich City.         

"Were we poor. lacking in ideas and quality? Really? Their goalkeeper was MOM "

guzan had 2 saves to make all afternoon and one was a pen. The rest of his day was spent easily catching floated crosses.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]How is the baby faced assassin? Zola? If you do mean Zola - no. Not for me.[/quote]I disagree. Zola would command the respect of the players and is doing a very good job at Watford. It will be interesting to see the different styles of him and Hughton in the Cup game. I''d take him instead of Hughton. Perhaps McNally will be sounding him out after we lose 7-1 as he did with Lambert in a similar scenario.  

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]"Were we poor. lacking in ideas and quality? Really? Their goalkeeper was MOM "

guzan had 2 saves to make all afternoon and one was a pen. The rest of his day was spent easily catching floated crosses.[/quote]Exactly, and the pen was poorly taken. We hardly tested their keeper thoughout the match apart from one great save when we should have been pressurising their defence a lot more as we were losing. 

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]"Were we poor. lacking in ideas and quality? Really? Their goalkeeper was MOM "

guzan had 2 saves to make all afternoon and one was a pen. The rest of his day was spent easily catching floated crosses.[/quote]

So were we poor and lacking in ideas and quality? Who was actually MOM?

Just because their keeper was MOM doesn''t mean we had quality in abundance, does it? We didn''t! Apart from Russell Martin''s pass in the 2nd half, which I thought was as "world class" as Guzan''s save. The pass from Martin deserved more.

If we were that high in quality we''d have won the game, but our corners and crosses often went straight to Guzan. Our attacks always came to nought, the few crosses we put across their area in the second half either hit the first man or went straight across goal.

I find it funny that people would insist that we didn''t lack quality. We clearly did. They took a chance, we didn''t. Simple as that.

IF true, what other possible reason could there be for an emergency meeting?

Surely the injuries to 2 key players, Bassong & RVW, wouldn''t warrant it, especially now given that the loan window is shut and there is nothing that can now be done on that front.

[:^)]

[quote user="bringbackchippy"]Maybe wrong info received, but there was defo an emergency meeting called Saturday, it will happen[/quote]

Anybody who thinks this is going to happen is in LaLa Land - it''s the HOBNOBS wet dream!

The current board don''t "DO" panic decisions - if there was even a hint of his vulnerability, then there is no way the board would have allowed him to spend the money he did. Even when the raucous clamouring for CH''s head was reaching fever pitch last season, what did the board do? They backed him to the hilt - as was demonstrated in the purchase of RvW!

However, the person who might not be as secure as he thinks is Mr Snodgrass. Both his and Mr Pilkington''s public display of truculence towards RvW and JG respectively on Saturday does not bode well for either of them. It appears that having reached the dizzy heights of becoming Scotland and Ireland internationals has gone to their heads! If dropping the two of them makes for a more cohesive dressing room, then don''t be surprised if/when it happens.

What is apparent is that CH has had 2 significant pieces of bad luck which have affected our club. First was last season with Ruddy out for much of the season and second was EB out for the 1st half of this season.

Wonder how many of these wet dreamers wanted Di Canio when he was still at Swindon?

[quote user="Alby"]Is that the same Elliott Bennett that he hardly played last season?[/quote]

Yes.

However, last season Mr Snodgrass deserved his place (probably being kept in check by Grant Holt). Start of this season EB showed his ability and would either have taken over RS''s place - or at the very least would have kept him on his toes.