Sign in to follow this  
Fleck@Millwall

For me, it's as you were

We beat a championship side who made 8 changes and needed extra time and a last minute goal to do so and were rubbish for 75 minutes despite fielding 4 of our top summer signings and needed a youth player off the bench. A great win and really pleased and pray this is a watershed moment but...

I don''t see loads of swallows to make a summer. Maybe, just maybe this is a sign of our desperation we are looking for loads of signs of recovery etc. Wigan, Birmingham and Pompey have all won cups and got relegated. The league is the main priority and nothing changes as far as Hoots is concerned. Results and performance have been pretty shocking thus far and not what any canary fan hoped for pre-season.

The game at Stoke is absolutely huge and may well define our season and leadership given the 2 other prem games before the international break are probably not winnable. I genuinely think that had we got a point at home to Villa then a point at Stoke is a good result but now it is must-win for Hughton unless he can do something against Arsenal and Chelsea.

He needs a good performance and some real intent from the players this Sunday or else that''s the end for me.

This is a joke right?

Yes they had made changes but we had made changes too, (8 I believe).

Whittaker came in, Bunn, Olsson. Hoolahan, Hooper,Tettey, BJ and maybe one or two more so we weren''t exactly playing with our ''starting 11''.

I wouldnt say SToke is a must win, but a must perform but I would say a point is a must against tough opposition.

It would have been portrayed as a ''cup shock'' had we lost. There is meant to be a gulf in class between the two levels of football so we won and I am very happy and really really hope we can take this into the next game and Hoots gets a light bulb above his head about posing more threat to the opposition away from home.

Under ordinary cicumstances a point is good at Stoke and I would take it but the start has been poor and if they did decide on a change it would be at the international break. If I''m McNally with my credibility on the line then I will review it at that point and make a judgement on 5 points out of 8 games, 4 points after 8 games or whatever it is and decide whether we stick or twist. I think going into the international break with 5 points from some very winnable games and with the money spent and fan unrest would leave Hoots very very vulnerable.

[quote user="FleckMillwall"]We beat a championship side who made 8 changes and needed extra time and a last minute goal to do so and were rubbish for 75 minutes despite fielding 4 of our top summer signings and needed a youth player off the bench. A great win and really pleased and pray this is a watershed moment but... I don''t see loads of swallows to make a summer. Maybe, just maybe this is a sign of our desperation we are looking for loads of signs of recovery etc. Wigan, Birmingham and Pompey have all won cups and got relegated. The league is the main priority and nothing changes as far as Hoots is concerned. Results and performance have been pretty shocking thus far and not what any canary fan hoped for pre-season. The game at Stoke is absolutely huge and may well define our season and leadership given the 2 other prem games before the international break are probably not winnable. I genuinely think that had we got a point at home to Villa then a point at Stoke is a good result but now it is must-win for Hughton unless he can do something against Arsenal and Chelsea. He needs a good performance and some real intent from the players this Sunday or else that''s the end for me.[/quote]

He''s still a dead man walking imo.

Hughton Out.

Whatever your attitude towards Hughton, last night should not have changed it in the slightest. He will live or die on what happens in the league, and the game against Watford was no guide to that.That we went on the attack when losing a cup match does not mean Hughton will because less cautious in his approach in the league.Nor, judging by most reports, did last night throw up someone suited to play the No. 10 role in his favoured 4-4-1-1 system. So the tactical dilemma of that, with a square peg in a round hole,  or using 4-4-2 remains.

I think you are being a tad dismissive of Watford. They are a good team who made the play-offs last season with a good manager. They were playing at home. Their last result was a 5-1 win making confidence high. Even if we had smashed Aston Villa 3-0 at the weekend I still wouldn''t have seen this tie as an easy win at all.During our season in the Championship under PL, if a bottom 5 Premiership club came to FCR in the cup, I would have fancied our chances, I should imagine Watford fans felt the same way.

This "Watford reserves" line does irritate me.  Yes, they made 8 changes but so did we !  I''m sure Hughton picked what he views as his strongest side on Saturday.  Hooper looks like a great signing but the fact is he''s not yet had a start in the Prem for us.

Sure we had a few players starting last night who realistically can break in to starting positions in the Prem.  That''s what happens when you have a strong squad.

Just my opinion on getting perspective although I accept Watford was a tough draw they did make changes so were not their full starting 11 by any stretch and left their brilliant midfielder Ireny out of the squad and top scorer on the bench. We can argue till the cows come home over the merits or otherwise but the reality is we need league performances and Hoots is walking the precipice for me despite last night.