Sign in to follow this  
Joanna Grey

Two proper wingers

RvW said that the plan was to bring in two new wingers over the summer. We brought in Redmond who is, no doubt, a proper winger. We also brought in Olsson who can play there but is more of an attacking Left Back. With Bennett''s injury we tried to get another winger but nothing came of it. Hughton said this of Josh Murphy after the game;

"“I thought long and hard about starting him and perhaps the result on Saturday made me change my mind. I was so pleased for him and what a goal he produced. He can certainly benefit from the open spaces and with somebody with his quality and pace you know he can hurt teams."

Redmond was taken off on Saturday as he got no joy on the left wing, one of the commentators queried as to why him and Snoddy did not swap wings for a while before he was substituted. We all know that Redmond prefers the right wing and that is where he is most effective but Snoddy currently holds that position (and is fighting to prove his worth there judging by his actions over the penalty incident). I think Hughton would dearly love to play Redmond and Murphy, two quick proper wingers, but that would mean benching Snodgrass, unless he experiments with playing Snoddy (or Pilks FTM) in the AM role.

Murhpy and Redmond are both undoubtedly raw talents but I just dont think we can rely on them to consistently deliver week in week out in a premier league campaign - they are just not at that stage of their careers yet.

Snodgrass and Pilks need to step up and achieve their top form of previous seasons.

Seems like Hughton is already relying on Redmond though. Murphy is only a little bit younger. If they can beat their man, get crosses in and score goals more often than Snodgrass or Pilkington then why not?

Interesting Redmond Twitter activity I''ve just seen. Someone said this to him:

"Congrats Nath. Nice to see you playing in your natural right side position for a change. Great consistency."

He retweeted it so he must agree.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Seems like Hughton is already relying on Redmond though. Murphy is only a little bit younger. If they can beat their man, get crosses in and score goals more often than Snodgrass or Pilkington then why not?[/quote]

I kind of agree with this - if they offer you more of what you are looking for why not play them? However I would not want to rely on them game and out for our creativity as they will blow hot and cold - and I don''t think it would fair on them either. Too much pressure.

It''s true In some games we have seemingly relied upon Redmond for a creative spark, and I think Murphy could do that for us sometimes as well. I also think that they both have goals in them and great pace to trouble the opposition, to get to the byline for our strikers or hit people on the counter. To be fair to Pilkington I think he is also an excellent goal scoring winger, and is a more consistent crosser of the ball than both. Snodgrass while being technically quite good, doesn''t have the pace to beat his man, doesn''t look like regularly scoring from open play and I feel teams have just sussed out his fairly predictable style of wingplay - cutting back inside is not going to fool anyone anymore.

At the moment I would be tempted to use one of the younger lads with one of the older ones (pilkington at the moment) and have the other one on the bench as an impact player. As for snodgrass he needs to up his game and probably evolve it at bit. Maybe he could even try moving inside to the position behind the striker playing in a more central area. I wonder if the qualities he has would actually suit there better than on the wing.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I think it could be a good move giving Snodgrass that central role behind the striker. Worth a try in any case.[/quote]

Oh dear god NO!

Giving him such a crucial role would inflate his head even more that the winds would carry him back to Scotland!