Sign in to follow this  
Robert911

Punch up

I lost coverage by the end so missed the final part of the game. Was there a punch up somewhere in there? Anything serious? What caused it?

It did sound quite odd, as the other linesman also got involved and the ref seemed to be handing out yellow cards to whoever was the closest to himthis confusion was further added to when the fourth official then held up the board to announce how many minutes of extra time there was - only for the board to have no numbers on it

We couldn''t really see what was going on, but spoke with a couple of Watford fans queuing for the car park afterwards and they said that Fer had head-butted one of their players, after Bunn had kicked the ball upfield when a corner had been given. Whether it was a full-on head-butt or just a "coming together" of heads I don''t know - the ref was close, so had it been more serious Fer would have walked. The guys we were talking to were very deflated so I guess they were making more of it than it actually was.

I would hardly call it a punch up and couldn;t really see what happened but at the time we were worried Fer was going to get sent off as one of their players went sprawling on the ground after some form of contact with him. Could not tell if it was just a bit of barging or something more sinister. Ref booked 3 or 4 other players although again for what I don;t know.

Yes from our end the ball was kicked out of the box (although "upfield" makes it sound worse than it was, it barely came out of the penalty area) and then there was just a melee of players so the usual handbags I think.  We were worried because as we saw at Hull the ref can decide a player has done a headbutt or similar and send him off but instead he carded Bunn and two outfield players from each side I think.