Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

ICF's Watford match report

Our line up Bunn in goal, back 4 Whittaker, Martin, R Bennett, Garrido .

Midfield Johnson and Tettey with Hoolahan at no 10, Olsson and Redmond on the flanks. Hooper up front .

City started brightly and looked a class above Watford as we controlled the game and stroked the ball around but with little end product. Redmond cut in and managed a weak shot and Wes was looking sharp. After 20 mins Watford had seen little of the ball but you couldn''t really say we had threatened their goal.

Always when this happens the concern is you need to take advantage when you''re on top and we hadn''t. And shortly after Watford had their first proper attack which Tettey broke apart with a good tackle but the ref, behind the play, gave a foul. The shot was blocked but the resulting throw broke kindly for a Watford striker who drilled it home from the edge of the box in their only real chance of the first half.

As you''d expect this perked up Watford but City came back and on about 40 mins Wes pounced on a loose ball and hit a quality shot which their keeper did well to tip over. The following corner was knocked down and someone managed to slam it against the bar. Watford were pleased to see the half out with their lead preserved.

Second half we had changed with Garrido off and olsson moving to fullback with Elmander up front and playing 4-4-2. The game opened up but Watford were looking more likely to take advantage with Bunn forced to make a couple of great saves before he was beaten by a superb strike from distance.

Now Watford were looking comfortable and stroking the ball around with City only threatening on occasion.

Hoolahan was flagging so Hughton rolled the dice and brought on Murphy who instantly made an impact against a tiring fuilback with a couple of effective runs. Then incredibly the ball dropped to him on the edge of the box and he drilled it top corner.

Now Watford were hanging on and with Fer on in place of Johnson we controlled the midfield. It was steady City pressure including one run by Murphy where the fullback almost pulled his shirt off but no foul was given. At the other end Watford were still threatening in the break as we committed men forwards and Bunn made some more great saves.

The board came up for 5 minutes added and we were on the attack and forced several corners and finally Hooper flicked one near post. 2-2 with the last touch of normal time.

In extra time Watford looked blown and were mainly hanging on for penalties while we tried to convert our possession into goals. Finally Fer I think put a superb through ball for Hooper who finally escaped the offside trap and you could see his confidence as he slotted it past the oncoming keeper. 3-2 City.

There was still time for Watford to force Bunn to tip another shot over and do the same to a near post header at the following corner. Bunn was furious with his defence and then there was a melee in the box which ended with the ref showing about 5 yellow cards. Bunn caught the next corner and time finally ran out for City to take a deserved win in a thrilling cup tie.

Now for the trek home.

Agreed, a fair report I would add that although Hooper will get the heafheadlines it was Fer who changed the game...different gravy. Absolute class. He tackled with ease and found so much space when he wanted.

Murphy also did very well on his full debut with an amazing goal to boot.

I would add that the Watford 2nd string looked more than comfortable for the first 70 mind, especially their 2 centre backs...Zola is doing a great job there. Never say never.

Fundamentally the game turned on Leroy Fer coming on.

Our set up of Johnson and Tettey together in midfield just didnt work. We need one of them but not both, especially against championship opposition. With Ollson on the wing too you just have 3 defensive players who offer no creativity limited movement and a lack of pace and ball distribution. That then puts more onus on Hoolahan in front of them and he had a poor game, running into trouble, going missing for large parts of the game and generally lightweight play.

Redmond and Murhpy do offer up pace and direction but are still youngsters.

Fer is clearly going to be our most significant player this season, He can control the game and has the all round attributes you need of someone in the centre of the park.

Elmander offered up good leadership and work rate.

Hooper fed of scraps all game but scores the two chances he got so you cant ask for more from him.

A huge boost, especially for Hooper, Murphy and Fer, who looked impressive again when he came on, and our travelling support given what we''ve been exposed to thus far this season. Maybe a few more will take advantage of the half price ticket offer - there was few enough of us last season and the match wasn''t on TV!

Having said that Watford reserves were the better side for more than an hour but, as is often suggested, goals change matches and City got away with it, just.

Thinking about the early morning trek across the A14 on Sunday, I''d like to see Elmander start up front to deal with the physical presence of Shawcroft and Huff, alongside Hooper supported by a midfield of Pilkington - Fer - Tettey - Redmond (who was getting some decent crosses in from the right).

Please City take the momentum of the second part of last night''s game to the Britannia rather than trying, and failing, to defend the 0-0 again which seems to be our PL away modus operandi.

I agree with Highland on the fact Wes was poor last night. I''m usually a big fan but most things he tried failed miserably. I would add a lot of the passing in the first 90 was either too far in front or behind the man and that were many cases on players non anticipating runs of team mates...it was like they had never played together before. I know its still early days for a lot of them but it did stand out last night and they should look like they know each other a bit more than they did by now.

Still, that was a proper cup game and it''s always great to come from behind and win...most fun was had last night...my hangover keeps reminding me.

London C

Paul Walsh on SSN said that Hoolahan was playing superbly!

How come you give him a bad rap when a Pro says completely the opposite?

Seriously confused!

Snake

I thought Wes looked excellent for the first half - before they scored we had all the possession, afterwards it was more even but he still did well.  He had one shot about 40 mins which their keeper did very well to save (similar to the one at home vs WBA end of last season).  Second half we were poor as a team especially after they got the second goal and he faded which is why Hughton took him off.

Snake - I''m not sure how anyone considered Wes had a great game given the fact Norwich only fully got into the game as a result of him being subbed off for Fer on 74mins.

He was a passanger in midfield and created nothing substantial other than 1 good shot on goal. If you have BJ and Tettey behind the onus is really on to provide linkage to the one guy up front and Hooper just had scraps.

We all know what hoolahan is like - On his day our most creative player - others completely missing.