Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Lawrie Sanchez

Sorry this is a bit of another Hughton thread but wanted to share my thoughts.

I see similarities with how we are right now and how Fulham were under Lawrie Sanchez. Sanchez was appointed by David McNally and he lasted until Christmas after spending a lot of money the previous summer. He left Fulham rock bottom and Hodgson took over and kept them up.

I think Hughton has more ability than someone like Sanchez but the similarity lies in being below par tactically for someone who has a reputation within football for being quite good tactically, which I find strange. Also, spending a fortune on players but not really knowing how to play them.

I see it ending in a similar way too. I think whilst last night ended up being a good result (mainly due to Murphy''s introduction), Hughton will not last the season and I see a more experienced head like O''Neill coming in to keep us up.

However, McNally has a mixed record with managers as the Lambert, Hodgson, Sanchez and Hughton appointments demonstrate. What is to be taken from his track record is knowing that managers need time, whether that times is ultimately to prove the manager isn''t quite good enough or not, he realises they deserve and need time.

Someone wrote in the Daily Mirror today that Hughton might be sacked if we lose at Stoke. I don''t agree. I think he has until early December. Last nights result reminded me of Man United''s cup result that many say saved Fergie''s job. Could it be that last night has a similar effect for Hughton, and we will go on to have success under him for many years? I have my doubts, but he deserves a bit of time.

If he wins games - he stays. If he doesn''t - he will go. It''s a simple as that really, but what we can afford him is just a little more time. One thing I do find myself unsure about is what exactly Colin Calderwood brings to the party. At times he is a bigger concern of mine than Hughton. He doesn''t seem to have the same relationship with the players that Culverhouse had as that go between between players and manager. We seem less of a together unit under Hughton, Calderwood etc. That''s more of a concern than our tactics at times.

Cheers.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Sorry this is a bit of another Hughton thread but wanted to share my thoughts. I see similarities with how we are right now and how Fulham were under Lawrie Sanchez. Sanchez was appointed by David McNally and he lasted until Christmas after spending a lot of money the previous summer. He left Fulham rock bottom and Hodgson took over and kept them up. I think Hughton has more ability than someone like Sanchez but the similarity lies in being below par tactically for someone who has a reputation within football for being quite good tactically, which I find strange. Also, spending a fortune on players but not really knowing how to play them. I see it ending in a similar way too. I think whilst last night ended up being a good result (mainly due to Murphy''s introduction), Hughton will not last the season and I see a more experienced head like O''Neill coming in to keep us up. However, McNally has a mixed record with managers as the Lambert, Hodgson, Sanchez and Hughton appointments demonstrate. What is to be taken from his track record is knowing that managers need time, whether that times is ultimately to prove the manager isn''t quite good enough or not, he realises they deserve and need time. Someone wrote in the Daily Mirror today that Hughton might be sacked if we lose at Stoke. I don''t agree. I think he has until early December. Last nights result reminded me of Man United''s cup result that many say saved Fergie''s job. Could it be that last night has a similar effect for Hughton, and we will go on to have success under him for many years? I have my doubts, but he deserves a bit of time. If he wins games - he stays. If he doesn''t - he will go. It''s a simple as that really, but what we can afford him is just a little more time. One thing I do find myself unsure about is what exactly Colin Calderwood brings to the party. At times he is a bigger concern of mine than Hughton. He doesn''t seem to have the same relationship with the players that Culverhouse had as that go between between players and manager. We seem less of a together unit under Hughton, Calderwood etc. That''s more of a concern than our tactics at times. Cheers.[/quote]

Not really that mixed though. Lambert was absolute class for us and made history. Hodgson was class for Fulham and made them a very, very good side. Yes Sanchez was pretty dire, but I wouldn''t write Hughton off as garbage too. Last season we finished 11th and had a hell of run, which would have gone longer I reckon without Ruddy/Tettey/Whittaker injuries etc. He''s made us much stronger on the whole at home and made some very good signings. He''s respected as you say and obviously is trying to get the right players in to play a certain way. HOWEVER, away from home he has made us the complete opposite of what we were under Lambert, which was fearless. This is the biggest problem in my opinion and I don''t know if it''s the fact he was a defender or he just has a belief that the home side should do all the pressing, chasing, attacking etc or something else, but nobody likes it and it''s causing us no end of problems. I genuinely hope he changes his style against Stoke (something like the final 30mins or so last night will do) and things kick off like last season did eventually. If not, game over and fair enough he''s been a mixed bag. For the moment, he remains fairly successful in my eyes - 1 solid season and 11th place finish. Give it another 5 games (the usual 10 game mark) and let''s see where we are. UNLESS we''re seriously dire against Stoke and Chelsea I can''t see him being pushed out. Or maybe DM has another manager in the pipeline? Who knows...