Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

RVW, Snodgrass, Howson, Wes, or Elmander?

Assuming that Bassong will still be injured then this is obviously the best team that CH could select against Stoke. There are only question marks regarding one starting place. Would you have RVW, Snodgrass, Howson, Wes, or Elmander starting in that place?                 RuddyWhittaker Turner Bennett GariddoRedmond Tettey Fer Pilkington                          Hooper  ??????

Martin in for Whittaker. Olsson in for Garrido. Hoolahan in for Tettey and RVW in your ? Space. 4-4-2 diamond Fer sitting at base and Wes at the tip.

In a winnable game, a pairing of Howson and Fer will suffice, as they did against Villa,

Allowing us to start with both Hooper and RVW

Id use Pilks and Redmond on the wings

Firstly I would like to see Olsson given a run at left back. Secondly I would start with Van Wolfswinkel upfront as I wonder if starting after 120 mins might be too much for Hooper at the weekend. He may not b quite as sharp with his exertions and we could do with starting quickly at the weekend. Also I would expect the Wolf to be ready to go now he''s seen the competition score a couple. Having said that i can see why others would think differently.

Then personally I think that Hoolahan is the player in our squad who is most capable of playing that role as a link man behind the striker. As we all know he can be very up and down, but I think I would start with him and give him a decent chance, as having a Hoolahan on form could really help us at the moment. See how that goes then if we go behind or need more goal threat on the pitch you could bring Hooper on, or if Wes is having one of his off-days I would bring on Snodgrass or Murphy and have him, Plikington and Redmond as a fairly fluid three behind the striker, with Pilkington or Snodgrass tending to be the more central one.

I''m already looking forward to it actually, I''m sensing it could be a big game for us one way or another.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

RvW up front, Howson behind him and Fer and Tettey in central midfield.

Redmond (if he is fit after 120 mins last night) on the right and Pilkington on the left.

[/quote]

This

It depends who is fit. CH seemed to think that RvW could be fit, as it''s only a bruise. Bassong could be fit, depending on scans and how quickly he recovers, but Tom Cavendish is probably right to ignore him. I would certainly want the captain back, as we looked a little vulnerable to Watford moving the ball about quickly in front of our penalty area. Their first goal had an element of luck in the re-bound which could have gone anywhere.

The midfield has as good a balance between attack and defence, with Fer dominant at Watford. I would agree with Pilks having a chance, and Redman on his preferred right wing. If RvW plays we would have five out of six players forward who have demonstrated their shooting ability.

Redmond (if he is fit after 120 mins last night) on the right and Pilkington on the left.

[/quote]

This for me too. Before last night I would have said Wes but much as I love watching the little fella our build up often becomes too laboured allowing defenders time to regroup. Tettey would allow Fer to drive forward and Howson would be that bit more direct. Yes it only leaves one striker on but it''s very much a squad game and as we have found out in other leagues the strength of the bench is key. Hooper or RVW to start? Really tough call maybe swayed by the thought that Super Hooper would have more impact from the bench.

[quote user="peateabee"]Firstly I would like to see Olsson given a run at left back. Secondly I would start with Van Wolfswinkel upfront as I wonder if starting after 120 mins might be too much for Hooper at the weekend. He may not b quite as sharp with his exertions and we could do with starting quickly at the weekend. Also I would expect the Wolf to be ready to go now he''s seen the competition score a couple. Having said that i can see why others would think differently.

Then personally I think that Hoolahan is the player in our squad who is most capable of playing that role as a link man behind the striker. As we all know he can be very up and down, but I think I would start with him and give him a decent chance, as having a Hoolahan on form could really help us at the moment. See how that goes then if we go behind or need more goal threat on the pitch you could bring Hooper on, or if Wes is having one of his off-days I would bring on Snodgrass or Murphy and have him, Plikington and Redmond as a fairly fluid three behind the striker, with Pilkington or Snodgrass tending to be the more central one.

I''m already looking forward to it actually, I''m sensing it could be a big game for us one way or another.[/quote]

That''s actually a very good post. I agree.

I''d go with....

Whittaker    Bennett    Turner    Garrido                            Fer/TetteyRedmond  Howson  Fer/Tettey  Pilkington                            Hooper

or....

Whittaker    Bennett    Turner    GarridoRedmond    Tettey    Fer    Pilkington                            Howson                            Hooper

Martin and Elmander would be on the bench and we could bring on one of those Murphy lads or even Olson if we needed to change winger. RVW could be brought on later once Hooper has tired out Stoke''s defenders. In the first formation Fer and Tettey could rotate as needed as the man in front of the back four; I''d favour Fer if we''re defending and Tettey if we''re attacking. Fer is better at long passes and more able to bomb out on the counter. If we''re attacking then Tettey would play a more simple tidy up and link role for a more attack-minded Howson and Fer.A man in front of the defence would allow the midfield to press a little bit higher. With a better midfield (ie Howson and Fer) playing a bit higher there is less need to play a man behind the striker (as in the second formation).

[/quote]

Precisely my preference for us,  but suspect Hooper may have played himself in esp if Rickys foot injury not yet fully recovered.

My pref is garrido at full back