Sign in to follow this  

The Daily Mirror on Hughton.

[quote user="CDMullins"]And I thought it was just the brain dead on here[/quote]And another measured and well thought out response to someone whose opinion might differ from yours.......

If you want a measured and well thought out post, have a look at the thread I started Title''d Chris Hughtons Yellow and Green Army - A few below this.

and bob your measured thoughts in there

@Robert911 - Very good reply. CDMullins sums up a lot of people on here. Unable to treat other people''s views with anything other than contempt. A fan who feels he/she clearly knows better than the rest.

I find it highly amusing how our more shal we say "negative" posters play the Victim "Those positive posters are being horrible to me", however positive posts are jumped all over by the doom and gloom merchants and apparently that is just debate........

As an aside i think this is a lazy piece of journalism. I would guess some local freelance hack has sold his/her "angle" to the Mirror

The trouble is there are a lot of posters who are so dogmatic and entrenced in their views they will jump on the negatives of last night, and ignore the positives (youngster blooded, subsitution changed the game, turned over a two nil deficit and a lively performance and two goals from Hooper)......

Exactly this, Robert himself started a thread claiming all "Pro-Hughtons talked the same old rubbish" in a ''Hughton Out'' Thread

Yet cried, when I yawned at his thread.

It seems if you are in the majority (Hughton Out) you can say what you like, if you are positive and pro-Hughton your not allowed to challenge back.

Yes they are thinking although I think a review before the international break would be where anything happened. I want him out but love him and wish he would change but I fear he won''t and I seriously doubt survival. The Mac is awfully quiet on Twitter these days. A case of baton down the hatches. Whatever your opinion on the merits one way or the other that''s the beauty of the sport and following our club so each opinion is valid and debate is good. As for the Mirror report, it''s just reflecting the betting odds and the growing feelings of supporters and maybe their contacts are whispering things.......

Who?

Di Canio? ;-)

O''Neill?

Di Matteo?

Meulensteen?

Solskjaer?

McLaren?

Ince?

Howe?

Maradona is 40-1. It''d be a disaster but what an awesome disaster it''d be!

I actually think Di Canio would be a hoot!! Admittedly, exhibits mental health issues, admires the work of Benito Mussolini and refers to anyone in the dressing room as a ''f-ing prick'' and has utterly destroyed Sunderland but hey, supporting City would certainly become very interesting.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]A nothing piece of journalism (if you can actually call it that) in a cheap left wing rag. Move along, nothing to see here.[/quote]

Why are you so dismissive of everything and everybody, Joanna ? Obviously I don''t know you personally, but your constant jibes, negativity and put-downs on here suggest a troubled mind.

The Daily Mirror is not my first choice of newspaper,it has to be said, but to write off any reasonably written article in the way you have done is simply bizarre. You may not agree with the basic tenet of the piece, but that does not mean it''s worthless.

The Daily Mirror article is a classic example of "lazy journalism"  in that it doesn''t tell anybody anything that they didn''t know already, or could easily work out for themselves without getting up from their chair.A quick glance at the league table shows bottom club Sunderland (who have already sacked their manager) next to bottom Palace (who are where everybody expected them to be) and Fulham and Norwich as the next two above that. A quick look at SkyBet "managerial sack race" odds yesterday afternoon showed Martin Jol and Chris Hughton as the two favourites to be next sackings. A final quick look at Statto.com to check recent form and upcoming fixtures, and Bingo! there''s your article.I could have written that piece in five minutes, without leaving my armchair!

The point that you are missing PH is that yes, of course, it didn''t tell anything you (or I) did not know already. But we are NCFC fans, so, of course we know it. But would YOU know the recent game stats of Yeovil, MK Dons or even Fulham ?

As far as I can see, the objective of this article was to give a brief resumé to readers who are not City fans. OK there is a bit of speculation thrown in for good measure, but is that not the stock in trade of papers ?!

It was not meant to be treated as you would an in depth critique of how the impasse in Syria can be solved.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The point that you are missing PH is that yes, of course, it didn''t tell anything you (or I) did not know already. But we are NCFC fans, so, of course we know it. But would YOU know the recent game stats of Yeovil, MK Dons or even Fulham ?

As far as I can see, the objective of this article was to give a brief resumé to readers who are not City fans. OK there is a bit of speculation thrown in for good measure, but is that not the stock in trade of papers ?!

It was not meant to be treated as you would an in depth critique of how the impasse in Syria can be solved.[/quote]Yes, I understand what you are saying, and of course it is more important to us as NCFC supporters than to a neutral. But I think what makes it lazy journalism is that, as any casual football fan knows, ANY manager who is seen as under-performing these days is seen as being in danger of being sacked. So the same story could be written at almost any time, any season, simply by substituting a different club and manager''s name. And most fans, whoever they support, will know which teams are currently doing less well than expected. It is lazy because it doesn''t report anything new.

There is actually an increasing amount of journalism from the traditional sources, PH, that does not "report anything new". For years the papers were relied upon to report "the news". But that task has been taken over by TV, Radio,and the Net. So traditional papers like the Mirror have to reinvent themselves, and in their case it''s by producing soundbite articles that are easily digestible, but at the same time giving a bit of background to the story . This piece achieves that.

On a wider note, how much actual "news" is there in your average Sunday Paper ? It''s all analysis, in depth coverage and, yes, speculation.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]There is actually an increasing amount of journalism from the traditional sources, PH, that does not "report anything new". For years the papers were relied upon to report "the news". But that task has been taken over by TV, Radio,and the Net. So traditional papers like the Mirror have to reinvent themselves, and in their case it''s by producing soundbite articles that are easily digestible, but at the same time giving a bit of background to the story . This piece achieves that.

On a wider note, how much actual "news" is there in your average Sunday Paper ? It''s all analysis, in depth coverage and, yes, speculation.[/quote]Point taken Reggie. I am not really blaming the tabloids for being a bit lazy with their journalism. There is so much on the web, and so many 24 hour rolling news channels, it is almost impossible to fill up the space with new stuff. As you say, the Sundays are not "news" papers any more, more like weekly magazines.As  a matter of interest, have Sky Sports News ever uncovered anything sensational by having their reporters stand outside Premier League training grounds for hours on end? Judging by transfer deadline day, I think not.[:)]

Other than providing a link to the original article I didn''t really offer an opinion either bleeding way![:S]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Other than providing a link to the original article I didn''t really offer an opinion either bleeding way![:S][/quote]That''s not like you.  Normally there''s at least two opinions on every subject.

[quote user="Fleck@Millwall" Yes they are thinking although I think a review before the international break would be where anything happened. I want him out but love him and wish he would change but I fear he won''t and I seriously doubt survival. The Mac is awfully quiet on Twitter these days. A case of baton down the hatches. Whatever your opinion on the merits one way or the other that''s the beauty of the sport and following our club so each opinion is valid and debate is good. As for the Mirror report, it''s just reflecting the betting odds and the growing feelings of supporters and maybe their contacts are whispering things....... /quote]

You''re going to throw a Majorette''s weapon of choice down a hatch? How is that going to help?

Up to now I would firmly categorize myself as negative Hughton Outer.

Having said, he always comes across as a thoroughly honest and decent bloke, and I would love to be proved wrong and see him do well.

I personally think the performance is going to be just as important as the result on Sunday.  

I hope we try to the game from the start, rather than looking as thought we''ve already accepted defeat before the game has even kicked off. 

"As  a matter of interest, have Sky Sports News ever uncovered anything

sensational by having their reporters stand outside Premier League

training grounds for hours on end? Judging by transfer deadline day, I

think not."

no, but they have discovered there''s an enormous number of numpties out there who will still sit and drool over the sh ite they post upso much so that they also know know there''s a fair bit of money to be made by over exciting these dimwits into placing bets on stuff that sky have prodded them towardsin the financial world it is known as ramping - in the fan world it is known as the ''bookies must know something''............

................... how to fleece the terminally dim

Reggie Strayshun wrote the following post at 25/09/2013 3:05 PM:

"Why are you so dismissive of everything and everybody, Joanna ? Obviously I don''t know you personally, but your constant jibes, negativity and put-downs on here suggest a troubled mind.

The Daily Mirror is not my first choice of newspaper,it has to be said, but to write off any reasonably written article in the way you have done is simply bizarre. You may not agree with the basic tenet of the piece, but that does not mean it''s worthless."

As Power Hamster pointed out it''s rubbish, lazy journalism. It''s in the Daily Mirror which my Grandad used to read and he was a bloody communist and this thread was started by Wiz who is the biggest arsehole on the Forum. Is that enough reason for a bit of negativity?

And God knows why I bothered replying to some eejit who called me a nutter..

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Reggie Strayshun wrote the following post at 25/09/2013 3:05 PM: "Why are you so dismissive of everything and everybody, Joanna ? Obviously I don''t know you personally, but your constant jibes, negativity and put-downs on here suggest a troubled mind. The Daily Mirror is not my first choice of newspaper,it has to be said, but to write off any reasonably written article in the way you have done is simply bizarre. You may not agree with the basic tenet of the piece, but that does not mean it''s worthless." As Power Hamster pointed out it''s rubbish, lazy journalism. It''s in the Daily Mirror which my Grandad used to read and he was a bloody communist and this thread was started by Wiz who is the biggest arsehole on the Forum. Is that enough reason for a bit of negativity? And God knows why I bothered replying to some eejit who called me a nutter..[/quote]

Charming.[:D]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Reggie Strayshun wrote the following post at 25/09/2013 3:05 PM: "Why are you so dismissive of everything and everybody, Joanna ? Obviously I don''t know you personally, but your constant jibes, negativity and put-downs on here suggest a troubled mind. The Daily Mirror is not my first choice of newspaper,it has to be said, but to write off any reasonably written article in the way you have done is simply bizarre. You may not agree with the basic tenet of the piece, but that does not mean it''s worthless." As Power Hamster pointed out it''s rubbish, lazy journalism. It''s in the Daily Mirror which my Grandad used to read and he was a bloody communist and this thread was started by Wiz who is the biggest arsehole on the Forum. Is that enough reason for a bit of negativity? And God knows why I bothered replying to some eejit who called me a nutter..[/quote]

Charming.[:D]

[/quote]

It makes me sad to think of the days when a lady was definitely a lady ( maybe ).

to be honest I have long suspected that it is not a woman at allprobably more -