Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Hughton to ROI; O'Neill to Norwich

This has popped up on several Irish websites, following ROI''s appointment of a temporary manager. Says that O''Neill has "unfinished business" at Norwich and "regrets" walking away during the Chase era.

It would appear to be a good solution, but do we want O''Neill if true?

The villa owner refused to replace Barry, Milner, Young and Downing hence why O''neill left. Thats my view anyway. Dunno what happened to him at Sunderland.

I had exactly the same thought last night (the jobs thing, not the staleness) and had resrvations about MON. However the more I think about it it could well work, especially with Neil Adams as No2. I''m not sure there are too many other credible candidates out there which would not be bigger risks.

[quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]Links to said websites?

I would be happy with O''Neil tbh.[/quote]O''Neill would do a good job here. He has something to prove again after failure in his previous appointment.

[quote user="Nicko"]The villa owner refused to replace Barry, Milner, Young and Downing hence why O''neill left. Thats my view anyway. Dunno what happened to him at Sunderland.[/quote]
Agree. 
O''Neill did a very good job at Villa but then Lerner cut back what he was willing to put into the team and embarked on a cost cutting exercise 
So although O''Neill clearly had a very big playing budget, that isn''t his fault, he will only spend what he is given. 
He achieved two consecutive top 6 finishes I believe. Plenty of clubs will spend just as much or more and struggle to achieve that (Liverpool!). They kept Everton and Moyes out of the top 6 too. 
Sunderland just seems to be a really difficult club to succeed at. I think a manager there has a lot more pressure when Newcastle are in the top division, Sunderland fans would be happier finishing 14th if Newcastle finished 15th than they would finishing 11th if Newcastle were 10th.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]Links to said websites?

I would be happy with O''Neil tbh.[/quote]O''Neill would do a good job here. He has something to prove again after failure in his previous appointment. [/quote]
Would? How do you know that? 
As with any manager it is only ever ''could''. 
Despite what people say, every manager requires a healthy dose of a little thing called ''luck'', no matter how capable and popular they are. 

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]Links to said websites?

I would be happy with O''Neil tbh.[/quote]O''Neill would do a good job here. He has something to prove again after failure in his previous appointment. [/quote]
Despite what people say, every manager requires a healthy dose of a little thing called ''luck'', no matter how capable and popular they are. 
[/quote]Well, that''s my opinion. I think he would succeed here, not ''could''. The man is class.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]Links to said websites?

[/quote]Well, that''s my opinion. I think he would succeed here, not ''could''. The man is class. [/quote]

Going back to O''Neill would be a worse decision than any taken by the old regime.

How much impact did it have at Sunderland that John Robertson wasn''t alongside him (with Steve Walford)

The thought about him coming back reminds me a bit about when Mike Walker came back with a great tide of euphoria and it never really happened for him.

Is anybody still on the board from when O''Neill left last time?

I think to criticise his time at Villa is harsh. He had them right up there before being shafted by the chairman. Look how far Villa have fallen since then.  

But his time at Sunderland has damaged his stock, however you could argue without this failure we''d never have stood a chance of getting him anyway. O''Neil has been a success at every club he has been at bar Sunderland. Surely the chances are that this was a one off?

I''m not sure. I''m keen on the idea of Poyet.

Number One choice definitely with Neil Adams involved with the first team as well. We need someone to get the place buzzing again when the board finally act with Hoots. I spoke to my mate who''s a Sunderland fan and they now have a huge problem cos all the potential replacement being mentioned are not wetting the appetite. Interestingly, those players at Sunderland have now failed under 3 entirely different managers in Bruce, MON and PDC so maybe the fault lies elsewhere up there.

Sounds like a very good solution all-round.

O''Neill/Adams = Dream Team IMO and the Hoots would likely do a good solid job for the Irish being both cautious on the field and diplomatic off of it.

I like Hughton but the wheels seem to have completely come off in the last two weeks.

I''m not in the CH out camp, but I would welcome O''Neill with open arms, ''cause I like the guy and think he''s a good manager!

I read somewhere that O''Neills spell at Sunderland was the first time he had managed without his number 2 John Robertson who had suffered a heart attack , maybe a reason for his flop there . Certainly the nearest thing to Lambert out there and would be a vast improvement on Hughton .

Remember how Lambert used to go all knock-kneed, gooey eyed and generally to pieces whenever he came up against O''Neill? This may be worth it just to see he come over all unnecessary again when we come up against Villa.

I''ve been saying O''Neill to Norwich for weeks. He was spotted in the area recently and knows McNally very well from Celtic days. I think by Xmas Martin O''Neill will be in charge.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]Links to said websites? I would be happy with O''Neil tbh.[/quote]

O''Neill would do a good job here. He has something to prove again after failure in his previous appointment.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, that''s my opinion. I think he would succeed here, not ''could''. The man is class.
[/quote]

Going back to O''Neill would be a worse decision than any taken by the old regime.

[/quote]

I agree 100% - Martin O''Neill hasn''t had a new idea since 2001. 4-4-2, wingers cross it into 2 big lads up front.

He wouldn''t take Norwich forward, only backwards.

Also wouldn''t touch Poyet with a barge-pole, testimonials from ex-players suggest he is basically another Di Canio waiting to happen. Good when a club is on the up, but no idea how to turn things around.

No thanks. Don''t want to see us play football from the dark ages. I also don''t want a team full of massively overpriced and over rated British rubbish.