Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Rickie Lambert available in January

It is being reported that Southampton are willing to sell Rickie Lambert in the January transfer window. He is very good at linking play between midfield and attack. I think he would be a good signing to get the best out of RVW and Hooper.

Just gets into the England side, and now they want to let their most well known player leave? Seems a bit odd to me unless his contracts running down and he''s refusing to sign a new one.

[quote user="Alex "]Just gets into the England side, and now they want to let their most well known player leave? Seems a bit odd to me unless his contracts running down and he''s refusing to sign a new one.[/quote]Journeyman centre forward finally makes it in the Premier League in the autumn of his career, refuses to sign a new contract as he holds out for a last big payday... sound familiar? [;)]

[quote user="Alex "]Just gets into the England side, and now they want to let their most well known player leave? Seems a bit odd to me unless his contracts running down and he''s refusing to sign a new one.[/quote]

The signing of Osvaldo showed that Lambert''s days were numbered. It won''t happen in January but wouldn''t be surprised if he leaves next summer, as long as Osvaldo starts to play well of course.

Rickie Lambert signed a new contract this year and it lasts until the

end of the 2015/16 season. He isn''t looking for a move. It is

Southampton that want to get the best price in January because he will

be 32 in February.

He''s not scored many for Southampton so far this season, undoubtedly has his use, but he''ll be on the downward spiral and if Southampton have another £15m to spunk on another striker, i guess they will try recoup some money for him. I''d have waited until summer at least if I was them. They will need the continuity.

He is too old to be a good signing for us now and he is also not the typeof player we need.   Hoops and RvW will score but need a midfielder to add some creativity, not a partner up front...  

It sounds a curious thing to do? He''s scoring for England, has a great record at the club, and they''re not short of cash? Why put him on the transfer list?

Lambert''s abilities are very similar to those of Holt in his prime, although perhaps the former has a surer touch.

Do we need him? I think not, and I will be surprised if he has a long England career when the other strikers are all fit again. He is strong in the air, but Premiership teams are full of central defenders who can cope with this threat.

If, as we all hope, Hoops and RvW, come good, I suggest that if we need another striker we should invest in a younger player with potential who can step up when they leave, as they eventually will if they are successful. As I have suggested elsewhere, I would prefer that we sign a very good midfielder who can create goals as Fer did for Hooper on Tuesday.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He is too old to be a good signing for us now and he is also not the typeof player we need.   Hoops and RvW will score but need a midfielder to add some creativity, not a partner up front...  [/quote]If you knew about Rickie Lambert then you would realise that he links the midfield with attack. He goes deep looking for the ball and creates chances. He is a better version of Grant Holt.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He is too old to be a good signing for us now and he is also not the typeof player we need.   Hoops and RvW will score but need a midfielder to add some creativity, not a partner up front...  [/quote]If you knew about Rickie Lambert then you would realise that he links the midfield with attack. He goes deep looking for the ball and creates chances. He is a better version of Grant Holt.[/quote]

Rickie Lambert was never better than Grant Holt!

And yes, Wolf, it''s vaguely familiar ;)

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He is too old to be a good signing for us now and he is also not the typeof player we need.   Hoops and RvW will score but need a midfielder to add some creativity, not a partner up front...  [/quote]

If you knew about Rickie Lambert then you would realise that he links the midfield with attack. He goes deep looking for the ball and creates chances. He is a better version of Grant Holt.
[/quote] Rickie Lambert was never better than Grant Holt! And yes, Wolf, it''s vaguely familiar ;)[/quote]

Lambert is and was better than Holt - Holt has said that many times.

Tom - good to see you are still a condescending d*ick. Lambert isn''t that much of a link up player, and certainly not the number 10 Norwich are really calling out for - he primarily wants to be in the box scoring goals.

[quote]

[/quote]
No he hasn''t, prove it.
Signing Lambert would be pointless - we can''t land crosses on our current strikers head, so we won''t be able to land crosses on his.
I find it amusing how people think the problem is the strikers, our problem has been and is the complete inability of our team to serve the strikers.
And I include Grant Holt in that, as so far this season Van Wolfswinkel has had the exact same problems as Holt, and many people predicted that.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He is too old to be a good signing for us now and he is also not the typeof player we need.   Hoops and RvW will score but need a midfielder to add some creativity, not a partner up front...  [/quote]

If you knew about Rickie Lambert then you would realise that he links the midfield with attack. He goes deep looking for the ball and creates chances. He is a better version of Grant Holt.
[/quote] Rickie Lambert was never better than Grant Holt! And yes, Wolf, it''s vaguely familiar ;)[/quote]

Tom - good to see you are still a condescending d*ick. Lambert isn''t that much of a link up player, and certainly not the number 10 Norwich are really calling out for - he primarily wants to be in the box scoring goals.

[/quote]

That''s typical Holt though Bethnal, he may believe it but I would suspect he doesn''t really think Rickie''s any better than himself. I still rate Holt as the better all round player even if Holty wouldn''t agree. Perhaps I''m thinking about it with yellow and green specs on but i thought half of Lambert''s goals in his first season in the Prem were from penalties - whereas Holty scored most of his from open play, and I believe scored more too, which suggests to me he was the better player. Bottom line is I''ve always thought Holt''s ability and play was underated - him and Wes linking up really was a creative joy to watch.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He is too old to be a good signing for us now and he is also not the typeof player we need.   Hoops and RvW will score but need a midfielder to add some creativity, not a partner up front...  [/quote]If you knew about Rickie Lambert then you would realise that he links the midfield with attack. He goes deep looking for the ball and creates chances. He is a better version of Grant Holt.[/quote] Rickie Lambert was never better than Grant Holt! And yes, Wolf, it''s vaguely familiar ;)[/quote]

[/quote]Firstly, no need for you to be abusive. One of the strongest aspects

to Rickie Lambert''s game is that he bridges the gap between midfield

and attack and creates chances through the middle for other strikers. 

For a while earlier in  his career he was a midfielder. He scores a lot

of amazing goals from outside the box. He has one of the hardest shots

in football.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He is too old to be a good signing for us now and he is also not the typeof player we need.   Hoops and RvW will score but need a midfielder to add some creativity, not a partner up front...  [/quote]

[/quote]

I agree that Rickie is a talented footballer and extremely similar to Holt,  works hard,  good footballer with a much better touch than he is credited with,  who brings others into the game.  I agree that he is (probably, just) a better version of Grant Holt than the great man himself (with leadership ability better in the real thing)

However I do not think being a number 10 is one of his strengths and that is what we are missing.  Playing a number 10 role is completely different from simply dropping deep.  So we will just have to agree to disagree on whether he can play that role effectively.   He is also the wrong side of thirty to be investing millions in him.

I am confident that both RvW and Hooper can perform as well as ricky in the prem with the right creativity from the midfield.    Without it Lambert would struggle just as much as Holt did last season.

RVW and Hooper are lightweights similar in style to Michael Owen (and even Jamie Cureton). Those types of players say they respond best to a strike partner with a presence. Someone who can win the ball and very quickly lay it off to create a chance, be good in the air, plus be able to score goals from outside of the opposition penalty area.Elmander is the nearest we have but he isn''t anywhere near as good as Lambert at doing that. Lambert has never been reliant upon pace so he should be good for a few years yet.I wouldn''t be surprised if Paul Trollope wanted him at Norwich.