Sign in to follow this  
Militant Canary

Everybody yell "SHOOT"!

I''m bringing back this campaign because I think the boys really need it on the pitch.

Time and time again we get in to good positions and choke in the final third. Because of poor decision making in this area early on, the players get over-eager and nervy, and ultimately run out of ideas.

I know I''m not the only one who thinks that (sometimes) we should just be willing to do what every other team in the Premiership does in this situation - put your bloody foot through it! It might go in (like with Josh Murphy on Tuesday), it might deflect for a corner, it might force the keeper in to a save that our strike-force can follow up.

The profound irony always is that, once a team get a goal (by whatever means), it becomes a catalyst and builds momentum for the team, and further goals get easier to create because the team knows they can do it.

Once they cross that white-line, its all down to them (to quote Paul Lambert) and they''ve forgotten how to stay loose in front of goal. Lets remind them.

Everybody yell "SHOOT"!

''I think the boys really need it on the pitch''

If I were a player though, I would probably find it a bit annoying, Cantona kung fu is what i was thinking.

I get the idea but we need a balance still, that Tonev for Villa was awful on Saturday! So many wasteful shots! The old saying of not buying a ticket won''t win you the lottery rings true though.

I remember the dross from the days just before Bellamy broke through and it was the same problem there, pretty football to the edge of the area and then no clue what to do from there with 2 banks of 4 holding us back. Bellamy made the difference then and hopefully Hooper will be that guy now.

Soz Militant but I think this just adds to the pressure.  People tend to yell shoot most often when a player can''t shoot because there''s a defender right in front of him.

I agree it would be a good idea if we have a crack from range more often (except for BJ).  I wish more of our players were willing to have a go, not just Josh on Tuesday but we also had Wes''s excellent shot in the first half which nearly scored, and we hit the bar from the following corner.  But I think yelling shoot is counter-productive.

IMO there is only one thing it is useful for fans to shout which is tactical advice about the game, and thats "Man On !" when a player is about to get tackled from behind.  I''ve often seen fans at places like Newcastle give this warning to their team and I wish we did it at FCR.