Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Yet another Murphy post.

apologies, but I feel like I need to post this after the reaction to hughtons comments RE Murphy.

Murphy - a young talent along with his twin brother. both are great prospects. he proved he has a future with the club after scoring on his debut v twatford. since Hughton has said he is delighted for him but he is not ready for the premier league this season.

I think he is right.

For a season that our aim is to break the top 10, playing an 18 year old with no senior league match experience, what so ever, is a big risk.

one game has suddenly made everyone think he could be our saving grace this season.

are the FA youth cup games last season forgotten about?

the twins were both great in them, showed skill and fighting spirit, but there were definite mistakes which if made in the premier league, could cause us serious problems.

its for the same reason that he has stated he doesn''t want redmond playing 90 minutes every game for his first season in the prem. youth players need to grow, slowly.

so why put murphy in the squad anyway? I think it has a lot to do with the ''shop window'' - perhaps Hughton thinks he is ready to go out to a league 1/champ side on loan for a while, or maybe it''s because he wanted to see, if worse came to worse, while benno is out, that he could fill in a few times?

We''re all desperate to see a product come out of our academy, and we will, but the key is to be patient.

The FA Youth Cup run was a step down for the Murphy twins as they were an essential part of our Under-21 team. They were more productive in the Under-21 games as they were playing alongside more experienced players and were not left exposed (along with Morris in the FAYC) in the opposition''s half. Losing the ball to a defender in the opposition''s half is much more likely when you have no one showing for the pass and that sort of "serious mistake" would not happen so often when playing with experienced team mates.

bit off topic are the twins adopted ? I saw the photo on the  home page with parents both white ?

it did not state mum and dad not stepdad or mum ?

Sending them out on loan is the worst thing we could do - it would ruin them. Far better to

keep them here & use them, if only as subs. Apart from Redmond,

they''re the only real pace we''ve got in the entire squad & even

allowing for their inexperience they will bring more positives than negatives if we''re bold enough to give them a chance. If they''re good enough, which I think they are, then they''re old enough.Why

send them out to some second rate lower league club we''re they''ll get

clobbered every week & lose their natural confidence and exuberance.Sending players out on loan rarely works in favour of the Club lending them out.

Because it really looks like Kieran Gibbs and Ryan Bertrand have suffered from being loaned out, Making Plans, doesn''t it?

A large number of loans fail because they''re simply not good enough, nothing to do with playing for a ''second rate lower league club where they''ll get clobbered every week''.

One thing he must learn, which Redmond has not acquired fully yet, is to track back and become the wide man in the front line of four. There are defensive duties for wingers!

This didn''t matter much on Tuesday as Watford were cruising at 2-0, and holding on to their lead in a defensive way. After our first goal it was even more so, and in extra time Watford were knackered and played backs to the wall with one or two attacks only. It didn''t matter so much that Murphy was downfield "doing his stuff".

The Murphy brothers have pace to spare, and Josh showed with that amazing dribble to the by-line and leaving three or four defenders in his wake, that they have excellent ball control. It''s good that we have two such players learning and waiting, and able to be called on if necessary. They are clearly maturing. They are are leaving behind the early "head down for goal and blast it" approach of their early days.

Should they be loaned out? No, not at the moment, because they are likely to face the cloggers of the lower divisions. It''s better that we oversee their development. Josh and Callum Morris are in the England U21 squad and will learn from that. They are training with our first team squad, and that, too, will be a learning experience. Things are coming along nicely.

I think a loan move would be a good thing for Carlton Morris. He''s built for mens football. The Murphy''s are still boys. THink they would just get kicked to pieces in the lower leagues and probably wouldnt pick up the right type of skills for the Premier League. I think the best way for them to develop would be to be given little tastes here and there at the end of the games, to ease them in gradually, and to keep them amongst the first team squad with the bulk of their football remaining at development level. Think defenders really benefit from going down the leagues, but dont think for the types of player they are a loan would be good for them. What is the point of having an academy and spending all that money if you''re not prepared to bring what it produces on. Plenty of other Premier League clubs field talented youngsters without it being too much of a risk, Liverpool, Southampton and Swansea come to mind

Salopian wrote the following post at 27/09/2013 8:49 AM:

"Josh and Callum Morris are in the England U21 squad and will learn from that. "

Oh, come on,

Carlton Morris and it''s the Under 19s.

I think Murphy has to stay until at least January, as he''s 4th choice winger. Hughton can say what he likes about him ''not being ready'' etc but he''s just protecting him. I can assure you if one of the wingers gets injured, Murphy will be back on the bench.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Because it really looks like Kieran Gibbs and Ryan Bertrand have suffered from being loaned out, Making Plans, doesn''t it? [/quote]I did say "rarely" & there will always be exceptions to the rule. When did we ever loan out someone who came back a better player than when they went and where are they now?

Making Plans wrote the following post at 27/09/2013 12:27 PM:

"I did say "rarely" & there will always be exceptions to the rule. When did we ever loan out someone who came back a better player than when they went and where are they now?"

One of those exceptions looks to be Declan Rudd, 13 clean sheets in the last 22 games and according to the PNE fans he is the "complete goalkeeper".

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]Because it really looks like Kieran Gibbs and Ryan Bertrand have suffered from being loaned out, Making Plans, doesn''t it? [/quote]I did say "rarely" & there will always be exceptions to the rule. When did we ever loan out someone who came back a better player than when they went and where are they now?
[/quote]

I think that says more about the quality of Norwich youth products in the recent years than the obvious benefits of loaning out youth players. In fact I think it would be harder to find a top English player who wasn''t loaned out than one who was.

Off the top of my head going through some England regulars;

Joe Hart - Birmingham

Ashley Cole - Crystal Palace

Rio Ferdinand - Bournmouth

Kyle Walker - Sheffield United and QPR

Frank Lampard - Swansea

Tom Cleverly - Watford

Michael Carrick - Swindon

Danny Welbeck - Sunderland

Daniel Sturidge - Bolton

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think Murphy has to stay until at least January, as he''s 4th choice winger. Hughton can say what he likes about him ''not being ready'' etc but he''s just protecting him. I can assure you if one of the wingers gets injured, Murphy will be back on the bench.[/quote]
Snodgrass
Pilkington
Redmond
Olsson
I make him to be 5th choice, which one of those would you put below Murphy? Surely not Olsson already? Is he the next Becchio? 

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]Because it really looks like Kieran Gibbs and Ryan Bertrand have suffered from being loaned out, Making Plans, doesn''t it? [/quote]I did say "rarely" & there will always be exceptions to the rule. When did we ever loan out someone who came back a better player than when they went and where are they now?[/quote]
I think that Declan Rudd''s stock rose a hell of a lot in the football world after his loan last season at Preston and if he is ever called upon again at Carrow Road I bet we will see a much more mature footballer.
Tom Adeyemi is playing Championship football this year, after learning his trade in League One and League Two. 
Errmmm...... a year at Luton didn''t do Chris Martin any harm in hindsight did it? 

Snodgrass
Pilkington
Redmond
Olsson
I make him to be 5th choice, which one of those would you put below Murphy? Surely not Olsson already?
Presumably Hughton though doesn''t agree - from Pink ''Un website today talking about Murphy - no mention of Olsson“If you look at it apart from those younger ones I effectively have

three available players for two positions. Nathan (Redmond) can play on

either flank and (Anthony) Pilkington can do the same and then you have

Snoddy (Robert Snodgrass). We did try to address it before the window

but I said it would have to be the right player.”

Sending both Murphy''s out on loan to League 1 or Championship clubs who want to play them regularly would be fantastic for them and for us. I think they have talent and I''d like it if we could benefit from that at some stage.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Snodgrass
Pilkington
Redmond
Olsson
I make him to be 5th choice, which one of those would you put below Murphy? Surely not Olsson already?
Presumably Hughton though doesn''t agree - from Pink ''Un website today talking about Murphy - no mention of Olsson“If you look at it apart from those younger ones I effectively have

three available players for two positions. Nathan (Redmond) can play on

either flank and (Anthony) Pilkington can do the same and then you have

Snoddy (Robert Snodgrass). We did try to address it before the window

but I said it would have to be the right player.”
[/quote]
So Olsson is the next Becchio, poor lad. 

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Making Plans"]Snodgrass

Pilkington

Redmond

Olsson

Presumably Hughton though doesn''t agree - from Pink ''Un website today talking about Murphy - no mention of Olsson

“If you look at it apart from those younger ones I effectively have three available players for two positions. Nathan (Redmond) can play on either flank and (Anthony) Pilkington can do the same and then you have Snoddy (Robert Snodgrass). We did try to address it before the window but I said it would have to be the right player.”[/quote]

So Olsson is the next Becchio, poor lad. 

[/quote]

His primary position is LB - should Garrido get injured or suspended then Olsson will play.