Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Josh Murphy

I trust Chris Hughton to do what''s best for the lad. Hoots and his team obviously did well by Redmond as he was quite happy to come here and join up with them again. When Josh lit up Vicarage Road I was proud to be a supporter and a PUP.

Agreed Nutty.

I admit I don''t trust CH with much at the moment, but I am sure he will not do wrong by Josh.  It is very special to see a young talent explode onto the big stage.  These are the moments sports fans love and especially when they are ''home grown''!  It does make you feel very proud!

I do not see an issue with him being on the bench on Sunday.

Snake

Impossible to compare a League Cup game played at about 70% pace to a Premier League game.

Josh needs to go out of loan for at least a month to get 3 or 4 games under his belt before any true assessment can be made of his potential to step up to League performances. There is a lot of pressure floating around Norwich City at the moment and the last thing young Murphy needs is the repercussions that would come if he made a mistake leading to a Stoke goal or wasting a chance - look at how vilified Snodgrass has become after the Villa match, you think something like that wouldn''t destroy Josh Murphy''s confidence for a while? How about when Shearer et al would tear into him on MOTD for an error? Redmond has come into a fair amount of criticism for not releasing the ball early enough or not tracking back enough, why do you think anyone would be different to Josh?

There is a lot more to being a Premier League football than ability, many players far better than Josh Murphy have failed to make it because they couldn''t handle the pressure. Norwich have three ''senior'' wingers at the moment in Redmond, Snodgrass and Pilkington - there is no need to thrust a young man into the limelight off the back of one decent performance (against a tiring Championship defence).

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Bit of an overreaction on Snoddy! He''s a good player for us, this is no time to send him to the reserves. He''ll learn from his errors and hopefully find the extra motivation to fight and scrap for every available point for the next 3 games to make amends.[/quote]

I mostly agree with this. Snodgrass is a good player and he is still one of our most likely to do something to win a game.

However, he''s not great at learning from his errors. He had the same faults in his game last season and he had them when he was at Leeds too. He is prone to hanging on to the ball too long and also prone to getting involved in too much - wanting to take every freekick and corner etc and not giving his colleagues a chance.

Obviously that''s even more of a problem when he''s off form. But I can see it from his point of view, he wants to keep trying until he gets it right.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]As for Tuesday being "70% pace" - I saw nothing to suggest that at all.  I think when Josh beat their fullback for pace on several occations, the fullback was trying 100%, fair means and foul.[/quote]

Of course the fullback isn''t going to be jogging alongside Josh - but the pace wasn''t the sometimes frenetic state Premier League games are. He will never have experienced anything like what happens when you take a touch in the Premier League and Glenn Whelan/Steven N''Zonzi come charging in and clattering you.

I guess it''s how you see it - I didn''t particularly think players were holding back in their challenges on Tuesday.  There were large parts of the game where we were able to control it and stroke the ball around, which hasn''t happened often in the Prem, but personally I would put that down to our players being individually better than theirs in pretty much all cases. 

I remember the reverse happening often when we were in the 2nd tier and came up against a Prem team.

I do agree it would be a mistake to bring him into the starting 11 now, but I think he''s ready for the subs bench.

Trouble is that we have two amazing talents in Josh and Jacob. Trying to bring two of them into competition at the same time is difficult, but it''ll be bad for the pair of them for one to leave the other behind.

It is difficult but they''re very lucky to be at our club where they''ll be looked after very well. We''ve got some great people at the academy and even Hughton''s biggest critic would probably be happy with him overseeing their own youngster.

As the old saying goes if your good enough your old enough. To counter the argument of pressure a) i think his age will mean he plays with less fear and b) being one of us he will be given longer by the fans than a non home grown player would

I think we''re all missing a trick here, Josh & Jacob are identicle twins, we can play one in the first half and bring the other on in the second half without anyone really knowing that the switch has been made, we''ll also still have our full allocation of sunstitutes to bring on in the last 2 minutes.

But Houghton wouldn''t do the identical twin switch so early. He''d have Josh go down the tunnel for treatment and make the change on 85 minutes....

Haha, i wonder if we could actually get away with it! Imagine on 85 minutes and ''Murphy'' is still sprinting around not even remotely tired! Then we could ''bench'' one and if the other got injured, he could come back on!

snake-eyes wrote the following post at 26/09/2013 10:25 AM:

I completely disagree that there is an overreaction to Snoddy!

He was a disgrace on Saturday, selfish and highly unprofessional. Not just for the pen but his antics on the pitch, which have been going on for some time, are an embarassment.

I admit I don''t like him. He has ability and had a half decent season last season, but the more I watch him the more angry I get. He just does not fit the profile of a team player and although I welcome individuals in a team, they have to be that good to hold their place.

Snoddy is good, but not that good!

If he is not benched it says to me that CH believes him to be untouchable. That is a very dangerous precedence to make! No one player can be bigger than the team. Imagine that Snoddy plays with RvW on the bench. No matter how much you can argue it is tactical, it would ultimately show a distinct lack of respect to RvW. Act professionally and you still get benched, act like a moron and you still play!

I know RvW may not start on the weekend and I would understand that, but Snoddy should not either.

This is no overreaction, it is about discipline, professionalism and accountability.

Snake

SPOT ON SNAKE !!

Or more realistically (?), put Josh on the bench and Jacob out on loan - or vice versa - or alternate.

A real Twins Experiment. Call it exploitation if you like, officer, but I bet they''d appreciate the opportunities.

any player that can finish like that from 20 yards deserves a shot in the first team at any levelthe only thing you might argue he needs is to build himself up a little

good enough = old enough.

the sad thing is he goes against everything hughton stands for, flair, goal scoring and attacking football

iron_stan wrote the following post at 26/09/2013 7:32 PM:

"...the sad thing is he goes against everything hughton stands for, flair, goal scoring and attacking football"

Just like RvW, Redmond and Hooper?

Surely the obvious thing is to have either or even both Murphys on the bench and then probably to replace Redmond for the last 10 minutes if the game allows. Not dissimilar players so wouldnt require a change of tactics, and Redmond needs protecting a little bit too and probably running out of steam at that point. Josh has shown what he can do entering a game at that stage, so he wouldnt be letting anybody down. he is never going to be able to develop if he isnt given a taste here and there

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Well Hughton''s just announced he''s included in the squad for Sunday.[/quote]

Doesn''t say if it is the match squad or just the squad of players who travel to away games - usually around 20 - 22. Doesn''t mean he''ll be on the bench.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Well Hughton''s just announced he''s included in the squad for Sunday.[/quote]

Doesn''t say if it is the match squad or just the squad of players who travel to away games - usually around 20 - 22. Doesn''t mean he''ll be on the bench.

[/quote]Good news that !!   RVW had a knock so perhaps he may not play, so it makes sense to keep Josh in reserve. If he''s good enough he''s old enough. I just hope Hughton will allow the team at last to play as we did at Man City. The saving of his job is in his own hands and we have the players to do it.

Iron_stan, whilst i''m firmly on the ''Murphy in'' side, you can''t judge a player on one shot from 20 yards. Even i''ve done that before, allbeit at Sunday league level and i''m pretty useless at football (even with my magical left foot!)!

What more impressed me was his performance for the 60 minutes, which showed for that game at least, he could mix it with the big boys. The goal was an added bonus and probably gave him a nice adrenaline rush that got him through the rest of his debut.

There''s no reason he can''t now transpose that form into premiership footy but nothing is proven yet. He isn''t Cristiano Ronaldo, he isn''t Chris Llewelyn, the jurys out, and he could emulate either of them still or more likely, something in the middle (Llewelyn is a bit of a harsh example as there are far worse careers than his but they are both called Chris and you get the point!). Again, i''m in the group of why not give him a go, you never know what you might get. 20/30 minutes off the bench to either rescue us from defeat or to put some gloss on a nice away win couldn''t go amiss on Sunday.

Whilst I would love to see the lad given a chance v Stoke, they are usually a very physical side and a couple of times he did get muscled off the ball quite easily on Tuesday night. That said, his appearance made the difference - not just because of the goal (obviously) but because he stood out as prepared to move things forward and have a go. He looked a threat whenever he ran with the ball. The other substitutions were "more of the same" - good players who did not combine to exceed the sum of the parts. Although we had most of the possession, only in extra time did we look really composed and in control.

Beg to differ Binky, I thought Fer was our most important sub on Tuesday in that he took control of the midfield.

But defo agree that Murphy made a big impact with his running at their fullback as well as the goal of course.  But yes he needs  to deal with the physicality at top level, also the downright cheating like the shirt-pulling which was outrageous at any level but you''re going to get it if you beat the fullback and he can''t stop you any other way.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]No, Hughton is not damned if he does and damned if he doesn''t with me. I don''t know for certain what Hughton would have done given a different scenario. It''s called opinion and in my opinion had the game been level or us 1 up I don''t think Hughton would have brought Murphy on -------------------------------------------- knowing for certain but also being an opinion? I call shenanigans[/quote]

What???

Aren''t you disappointed that he didn''t go out on loan first and get constant first team experience for a sustained period of time?[;)]

Aha, Broadslim. Disappointed, no. However, I do believe he would benefit more from spending a longer period playing first team football. There''s still time for him to secure a loan.

By including him in the squad, Hughton''s certainly appeased a number of fans. Although if he does make the bench, Hughton will also get a lot of noise from the travelling supporters to bring him on. There will be a pressure for Murphy to get game time. Hughton will have to be clever with how he makes his substitutions.