Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Murphy in Stoke squad.

Murphy is named in squad for Stoke. Surprising considering CH stated it was too early in the lads career for him to play premier league football. So will he be on the bench, will he play, or is he just in the squad for the experience?

Comment from Hughton on management:

“There is no doubt in light of Di Canio a lot will be made about how managers interact with their players, but I go back to what I said about personalities. You have to manage within your personality. The big change for me is the man-management skills required because 20 years ago you might have been managing a group where half were local lads who had come up through the system.”

I found this interesting in the light of young Murphy''s elevation and also Hughton''s managing of Nathan Redmond. It is surely all part of his ability as a coach and indicative of the personal challenges he faces with big name players who need handling in different ways.

When Morison spat his dummy at the bench before Villa scored in last season''s League Cup game I hoped Hughton wouldn''t stand for it and quietly Morison was ousted, even at the expense of bringing in another striker we couldn''t make much use of.

As shown recently with Snodgrass, Hughton washes the dirty linen in private. I don''t hear the players coming out and saying good things about him though; and especially expected that during recent flak. Lambert was quite irreverent about his players but said he kept away from the dressing room. Players clearly loved him. It seem that if you have a go at some people they respond with affection?? Perhaps Nutty Nigel loves me for the same reason, I dont know?

However, when it comes to bringing along youth, which is a long term game, then Hughton appears to be an ideal manager. He is either going to be here for a short time or a long time. Upcoming results matter. That said, Wigan always stuck with Martinez (they did play attractive football) and didn''t see relegation as grounds for dismissal.

I wrote earlier about the importance of Hughton grasping the opportunity offered by Tuesday''s result and performance and the inclusion of Murphy in the squad is bang on track in that respect. I hope he makes the subs and the numbers count against the odd player who has underperformed so far. I see that as positive management and a serious attempt to tap the new mood.

Quite agree with you Rudolph H, but I don''t see why Hughton after the Watford game, and quite openly to the media, stated that the Premiership is too early fir the lad!

What has changed his thinking, and shy?

Nah Rudolph. I love you because you are part of the Norwich City supporters family. But just like my Mum used to tell me when I was being obnoxious - I still love you but I don''t like you very much at the moment...

personally i would take him purely for squad experience, to not make the bench, stoke is a hostile place at teh best of times.

Aim to give him 15 mins at a home prem game for a debut. I think he is good enough enough - but chosing the right scenario is essential.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Murphy is named in squad for Stoke. Surprising considering CH stated it was too early in the lads career for him to play premier league football. So will he be on the bench, will he play, or is he just in the squad for the experience?[/quote]
The old cliche is that if you are good enough you are old enough.
Josh is not that much younger than Nathan who is an established member of the squad. Probably being taken for experience, Stoke keep there pitch small so less opportunity to exploit a tiring defence with his speed. Will also show our petulant senior wingers that they have competition. I would not be surprised to see him given a first team outing soon.
As to Hughton''s comments that is just manager speak. I remember Lambert saying something similar re the introduction of Ryan Bennett to the first team. Turned out to be Lambert speak for he is starting on Saturday.