Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Paul Merson doesn't like our 4 4 2

"As for Norwich, I can''t remember the last time Ricky van Wolfswinkel

touched the ball. He doesn''t really get involved in the game and Norwich

can''t afford to have luxury players like that.

They got well

beat at Tottenham a couple of weeks ago - it was only 2-0 but it could

have been any score - and they had a shocker of a result at home to

Aston Villa so it could be a really long season.

I am surprised

that Wes Hoolahan hasn''t had more of a look in because he gets on the

ball and makes things happen, but he is missing out because they have

gone for 4-4-2 instead of playing one up top and one in the hole.

That has really backfired, if I''m being honest."

DOWN WITH THE 4 4 2

(even though I thought most of our games have been 4 4 1 1)

They have been. Maybe it''s because Elmander is a striker and not a "hole" type player that it looks like 4-4-2? We lack the correct personnel to successfully pull of that formation anyway, as we have shown.

we should have scored 3 goals against villa. Although we didn''t play well, when you watch the highlights back, we did create some great chances, RVW should have scored with the near post shot after some great movement and if hooper had proper contact with the ball then it would have gone in.....but its all ifs and buts i guess, hopefully a win against stoke is coming

Merson is talking crap, it just shows that he''s not seen us, and is merely going by reports/results. We''ve not been 442, and RVW actually had a reasonable game against Villa, he was much more involved than vs Saints, for sure.

Merson predictions are rather like the weather you cannot count on them, Its up to the lads to prove them wrong. Come on City 3 points tomorrow please!!!!

Tomorrow will tell because I do think that game is winnable with the team we have, however RVW needs to get on the score sheet soon otherwise Merson will be right about the luxury?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]we should have scored 3 goals against villa. Although we didn''t play well, when you watch the highlights back, we did create some great chances, RVW should have scored with the near post shot after some great movement and if hooper had proper contact with the ball then it would have gone in.....but its all ifs and buts i guess, hopefully a win against stoke is coming[/quote]
Precisely, although with a stat of 66% possession we must have played reasonably well.
Now that the pain has diminished I would reflect that the main thing that was wrong with the Villa game was the result. Had two of the chances had gone in I think we would be reflecting on here what a strong dominant performance it was! As you say if and buts... but lets hope it is a sign of better things to come.
OTBC

Personally I think Merson has it pretty much spot on whether he is guessing or not.
Van Wolfswinkel hasn''t had many clear cut chances, hasn''t got on the ball much, and our system or line up is to blame for that. 
He was right that Spurs could easily have won 4-0 or 5-0.
He is right that a 1-0 loss at home to Villa is a poor result, however much the ''Lambert factor'' comes into that.
He is right to point out that Hoolahan hasn''t had a sniff and that he gets on the ball more than Elmander, and he is right to say that Hoolahan should perhaps be used a bit more. 
He is probably right to judge Elmander - RVW partnership as ineffective, even if he has missed the fact that Elmander is playing deep. He is a striker being played out of position, easy mistake to make.
The only bit that he has missed is playing two wingers on the opposite sides to their strongest foot, the primary reason why we haven''t created chances for Van Wolfswinkel, because our wingers are crossing with the ball travelling towards the goalkeeper - making it far too easy for the keeper  to collect.
That is a bigger reason that Elmander being ineffective as a #10.