For me, he''s a "must start" on Sunday, paired up with Hoops. I know he has his knockers, usually the never go to games brigrade, but he just offers so much more than weak little Dean van Coneyswinkle and his poorly toe. Strong as an ox, great in the air, two good feet and a constant goal threat. It''s like having a Holty who actually cares. And a lovely beard to boot!

I agree he''s more the ''type'' of player we need next to hoops and if RVW has a dodgy toe still, then why risk him?

Elmander has a lot to prove still though, no league goals yet and no standout performances so far. Hopefully Sunday will change that.

He has a great reputation and history, but he has yet to produce much for us - perhaps he has lacked opportunity to some extent. I would want to see more before I would give him preference over RvW. I also think that RvW and Hoops would present a highly mobile threat to any defence, rather than one of them backed up by Elmander.

If our scoring rate does not pick up soon, and we continue to create little for the strikers, that may be the time to play Elmander  and even Becchio, with a policy of long ball and plenty of crosses, like the team we play on Sunday.

Yet to see anything in Elmander''s performances so far to suggest he should be starting ahead of either Hooper or RVW. Indeed on the evidence so far i would say Becchio is unlucky to find himself down the pecking order behind Elmander.

In fairness, however, he''s been playing as a no 10 which does not appear to be his natural role.

[quote user="Reverend Timothy Smallpiece"]For me, he''s a "must start" on Sunday, paired up with Hoops. I know he has his knockers, usually the never go to games brigrade, but he just offers so much more than weak little Dean van Coneyswinkle and his poorly toe. Strong as an ox, great in the air, two good feet and a constant goal threat. It''s like having a Holty who actually cares. And a lovely beard to boot![/quote]

[IMG]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2639993856/hC73761DC/[/IMG]

Johan Elmander playing the lone striker role could work I agree, particularly as his performance playing behind the striker vs Villa was worse than terrible (certainly wasnt a constant goal threat, more like a liability) which was a surprise as he was decent in previous games and on all accounts on Tuesday too, but it sounded like he was more a part of a front two vs Watford (somebody who went needs to confirm that?). BUT, I would be shocked if CH opted for him up front (a "must start"??) when considering Hoopers performance on Tuesday, perhaps an option if things are not working out or, if Hooper also picks up a knock, as it will surely be where he is most effective. If it wasnt Stoke, who are still a very big and strong side, I would certainly agree to Hoolahan starting, but we need physicality so I am going to guess that CH will keep faith with Elmander playing off the striker, who I hope is Hooper. Either that or have Fer in that role and bring Johnson back, something like that, either way, make no mistake a point or three won at Stoke will be an excellent result as they are strong, look like they have improved since last season (must be to do with Mark Bowen) and caused a good Arsenal problems last week

To be absolutely honest, I''ve never seen what all the fuss is about with Elmander. Whenever I saw him for Bolton he did very little, and what bit I''ve seen of him playing for various continental clubs has left me underwhelmed.

OK he''s had some good outings for Sweden (is he the antithesis of Rooney...ie good for his country/ cr@p for his club ?) , but I suspect thats a lot to do with the fact he was playing along a class operator in Ibrahimovic.

Not saying he''s a bad player, but I think we have better options as starters up front.

Just answering my own question regarding Tuesday''s match:  excerpt from Gary Hooper interview

"I can play with Ricky (van Wolfswinkel) in the hole and Ricky up top. I was in the hole at Watford with Johan (Elmander) up top, and I thought it worked"

Didnt realise this, coverage was very limited for this game. So, in fairness to the OP, this option again could be what we see bs Stoke perhaps?

The way I saw it, they basically played as two strikers but with Elmander slightly more advanced and Hooper a bit deeper. 

Whereas I think what we need against Stoke is a lone striker with an advanced midfielder behind him and two DMs, the midfielder being someone who drops back and is part of our midfield line when we haven''t got the ball.  Hooper didn''t do this on Tuesday.  I guess it''s the difference between having a natural striker in the role and someone like Wes.  Wes could play the role against Stoke if we have a lone striker who we can play long balls to when we need it.  On his showing so far this season Elmander can''t do this effectively, and I''d have thought Hooper isn''t tall enough to go up against the Stoke CBs.

The alternative for me is to play RVW as the striker in which case you need a tall midfielder playing the advanced role behind him, and Fer is the only player we''ve got who can do that, as far as I can see.

Weak Ricky must have already set some kind of club record for fewest touches of the ball in five complete games. And I don''t buy this "but he''s not getting the service" hogwash. Sometimes you have to hustle the opposition and win 50/50s. Finidi doesn''t do this, he''s too lightweight. Hooper has a bit of the Flecky about him and definitely does. Against Stoke I''d look for the more robust players.Hoops and Johan. Also goes for midfield - play pansy Howson and we''ll lose.

You''ve got to feel sorry for someone who''s life is so empty that they have to resort to saying controversial things on an internet messageboard just to get some attention.

Very sad.

In the three games I have been to where Elmander has played, against Villa and Tottenham he was a complete no show and I can''t remember how he played against saints, better I think but nothing to suggest he can add a great deal at this level. Although we really do struggle from goalkicks as Ricky''s to lightweight to win that kind of challenge. Dilemma.

I know some people find it very, very difficult to opinions views that don''t tally with their own deeply entrenched views. And I feel for them. I just happen to rate Elmander. It would be a boring old world if we all agreed on everything [obviously the high post count clique demand that everyone agrees with their view in all circumstances]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]How is Rooney crap for Man U?![/quote]

Precisely opposite to the point I was making, Jimmy. In the main, he''s been great for ManYoo, but anonymous when he''s put an England shirt on. Whereas Elmander has been the other way round.