Sign in to follow this  
yoda

Fox

I''m still amazed how a player can go from being our 3rd best player to suddenly not good enough over a summer break.

I think his lack of opportunities speaks far more of Hughton than it does of Fox''s ability.

Fox is still the best ball player at the club, he hardly gives the ball away either...unlike many!

Some games have cried out for Fox but he obviously isn''t in Hoots defensive/negative game plan

Fox can pass the ball.

However, he cannot tackle, head, shoot, intercept or dribble. And he has no pace.

How many Premiership players are that limited?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''m still amazed how a player can go from being our 3rd best player to suddenly not good enough over a summer break. I think his lack of opportunities speaks far more of Hughton than it does of Fox''s ability.[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

I like Fox. His passing ability is there for all to see. However, I think it is totally unfair to say that his exclusion is a sign of Hughton''s tactical shortcomings as a manager. It is worth noting that under Lambert, Fox only started 2 of the final 6 games of that season. They were defeats against Man City (6-1) and Liverpool (3-0). I am not in anyway saying David Fox was solely responsible for those results. However, it does show that Lambert was already moving in a different direction himself - generally preferring Jonny Howson over him.

Real shame all he can do is pass the ball, hey, Ron?

Bet you must''ve hated when he just passed the ball to Jackson at Portsmouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1caGKNls7Ks

(Someone will have to make that into a clickable link as i''m using a Mac - thanks whoever does)

I think Fox could still be a very good midfielder in the Prem, with the right partner alongside him. If we have that partner to accomodate him is another question.
Surprised he doesn''t get a look-in on a cup game. It''s a shame. Not trying in training maybe?

"Real shame all he can do is pass the ball, hey, Ron?

Bet you must''ve hated when he just passed the ball to Jackson at Portsmouth. "

Yes, it is a shame that''s all he can do.

Why on Earth would you assume that I would hate? the fact that Fox is capable of a good pass?

No one is saying he''s Steven Gerrard, but to say he can''t shoot, intercept, tackle, dribble etc is just wrong. Some of those things aren''t the strongest aspects of his game for sure, but then again we have players playing Premier League football week in week out that can''t pass the ball more than 10 yards.

We don''t have the luxury of buying complete midfielders, it''s all about balance.

Personally, when I see tonight''s team sheet and see Johnson and Tettey playing together in CM my heart sinks. I''d much rather see one of those slots filled by a proper footballer who has some physical limitations, than I would see 2 athletes with footballing limitations.

I''m not saying he should be the first name on the team sheet every week but there are situations where his ability on the ball would be a huge benefit to us, in my opinion Hull away was one of those situations, and possibly Saturday too.

He did a damn sight more than just pass the ball in our first season back in the Premier. If he couldn''t tackle, head, and all the rest, he''d not have come third in POTS - in a very good season.Some of you must have very short memories.

As has been mentioned it''s all about a balance it''s all very well having players who can break up play all day long but somewhere along the line the forwards need that killer pass

He doesn''t have the physical stature to be a hard-tackling battler - but that''s not what you put him in the team for. He sits in front of the back four and distributes. Someone else does the hard-tackling.
He can shoot, pass, and dribble unlike the comments above. Like someone said, he came 3rd POTS for a reason.

Perhaps he came third in POTS for the same reason as Lee Croft won it.

If he was as good as so many people seem to think why are we not getting any enquiries from other Premiership teams for his services?

I can''t remember him having a decent shot (how many goals has he scored?), & I don''t remember him dribbling past players - even in the Championship.

I have never questioned his passing ability.

To play in front of the back four you need to have strength. One thing I do remember is him being easily knocked off the ball.

Unfortunately not a single player at the club is the ''complete player''

It would be great if all 25 players could pass, graft, hold the ball up, shoot, defend, create, long ball, short ball, have intelligence and have leadership qualities etc. etc.....

Sure Fox has his short falls but at least he can pass the f@ckin ball! and make things happen, which is clearly missing week in, week out!

Love it Ron. Let''s do the English thing and look at what he maybe can''t do rather than what he can''t.

Are you on elf those that says Redmond doesn''t track back, tackle or win headers?

Fox is the best passer at the club, used to put his foot in and always kept possession.

I''d rather him than johnson and tettey.

Oh FFS... another Fox thread. I love to comment negatively, but it''s interesting to see that more people have commented on Fox''s alround ability this time. The POTS argument is a poor one, I almost fell off my chair when his name was read out. People take it so personally, but his best and arguably his only attribute ''passing'' has lacked in the chances his had to prove himself under Lambert & Hughton. Please Norwich, get rid.