Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Set up not to lose

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 2013-09-28 9:50 PM:

There''s too few games gone to be making any judgements on what''s in store for us and the rest of the league. I''m sure there are Hammers predicting their own demise after today. have a look again in a few games time.

Yes I agree NN, let''s look again after Chelsea, Arsenal and Cardiff - and we may as well throw Stoke into the ring too!

Of course we will be top 10 after winning all those!!!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]--- ricardo: As for the game against Hull, I must have seen a different game.

Yes you must have been watching a different game, I saw one with three defensive midfielders across the middle. Tettey, Fer, BJ and another who plays in said position, Howson, on the right wing.[/quote]I saw a game where we vastly dominated possession, lost to a very dubious penalty and failed to take 2 or 3 perfectly acceptable chances. Hull got their goal and had the tactics decided for them by the dismissal and defended deeply to hang on for the points. We don''t all see the same game but I guess that''s always going to be a problem with living in a multiverse.

City 2nd. Vindo''s yer man for predicting football results. He''s on 5/5 overnight. If you''re any good let''s be ''avin'' your input next weekend.

What do you mean "had their tactics decided for them " Ricardo ?

I''m assuming you mean they , through force of circumstances, set up a defensive formation, which they played perfectly. As opposed to the defensive formation we started out with and didn''t play terribly wel......

[quote user="City 2nd"]Well NN I''ll predict one point from the next 12. You?

And I really really hope I am wrong.[/quote]

4/5/6

Sorry. That''s the best mystic nutty can do.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]--- nutty nigel: Foggy! Whatever are you blathering on about now?

To keep it simple. Hughton signed those players. If he can''t get them playing the way he wants, whatever the hell that is. Then it is his fault.[/quote]

I''d agree with that. So why don''t you give him that chance instead of tarring this seasons team with what you found fault with last season?

Well NN I''ll predict one point from the next 12. You? And I really really hope I am wrong.

4/5/6

Sorry. That''s the best mystic nutty can do.

LOL - I really hope you are right NN, but I won''t place a bet just yet!

ricardo, we eere impotent in the final 1/3 of the field at Hull, and never a sense of urgency or opportunity.

Our wins over arsenal and manu last year were deathly boring 1-0 squeakers. The Manchester losses today were entertaining compared to that. I was thrilled to get the points but felt like apologizing for the boredom to those I encouraged to watch.

So the comparison doesn''t work.

I''m assuming Hughton has figured it out finally and we will take the game to Stoke like we did Watford. If so, win lose or draw I will be optimistic about our chances.

If we set up to not lose, or can''t generate scoring opportunities like at Hull or home to Villa, I will say it''s time for a change.

Bail out and pull thr rip cord. Starting this thread when you did was a bad idea. Cut your losses.

Milk was a bad idea. -Ron Burgundy

"City 2nd"Herman wrote the following post at 2013-09-28 8:15 PM:

We didn''t set up not to lose at Hull.

REALLY?

Yes.

Jeeezzuuuss looking at the threads lurking around the top of the messageboard at the moment did I miss something and we played Stoke this afternoon and lost ?  [*-)][8-)][:''(][8o|]

Nige. I just do not get this problem you have with people who mention anything that happened last season.

If we''d been rubbish last season, and then everything in the garden was rosy this, then you''d have a legitimate beef.

But the fact is we are currently playing basically the same tactics/setup that so nearly led to meltdown last term. And making the same fundamental errors for good measure. Despite having upgraded the squad at considerable expense over the summer. You may not recognise it,but what happened last season IS relevant, because we''ve not learnt from our mistakes.

Houston,Good post. Surely Watford has shown CH the way forward. If we dont start going for it, I fear we will sink. Tomorrow is a huge test for me whether CH has the ability to evolve on the job or whether he will simply revert to his instincts.

---- nutty nigel: So why don''t you give him that chance instead of tarring this seasons team with what you found fault with last season?

I am, I have not called once for Hughton to be removed and believe we should at least be waiting until 10-15 games into the season.

The main issue regarding last season, is that the bad run is continuing.

Bullisht Houston. I don''t remember anyone complaining about those wins or the style of play contained therein. Going back in history to complain about games that everyone was ecstatic about is just a nonsense.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]--- nutty nigel: Foggy! Whatever are you blathering on about now?

To keep it simple. Hughton signed those players. If he can''t get them playing the way he wants, whatever the hell that is. Then it is his fault.[/quote]Yep, and as with many other managers before him he will no doubt be shown the door.

Calm down, Herman. I didn''t say anyone else complained, although I''ve seen plenty of comments this season agreeing with my claim that those games were dire to 2 neutral observers.

I said that I aplogized, because I did. Those and msny of our other games last season were flat out boring.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]What do you mean "had their tactics decided for them " Ricardo ?

I''m assuming you mean they , through force of circumstances, set up a defensive formation, which they played perfectly. As opposed to the defensive formation we started out with and didn''t play terribly wel......[/quote]What would you do if you were leading one nil and down to 10 men?Perhaps there are other options than to get behind the ball and leave just one upfield but I can''t think of any and neither could Steve Bruce.

In the main I tend to agree with what Houston is saying. Except for the stuff about the MU/Arsenal wins, in which he is talikg utter twaddle.

Surely, this is the whole point ? In those games we decided it was a case of nothing to lose, so we just went for it; aided and abetted, it has to be said , by some top notch defending. To me, it proves that from the outset we go in with the mindset that we really can come away with 3 points, quite often that''s precisely what happens. In purely mathematical terms, if we win one and lose two out of 3 fixtures, we are no worse off than if we draw them all nil-nil.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]ricardo, we eere impotent in the final 1/3 of the field at Hull, and never a sense of urgency or opportunity.

Our wins over arsenal and manu last year were deathly boring 1-0 squeakers. The Manchester losses today were entertaining compared to that. I was thrilled to get the points but felt like apologizing for the boredom to those I encouraged to watch.

So the comparison doesn''t work.

I''m assuming Hughton has figured it out finally and we will take the game to Stoke like we did Watford. If so, win lose or draw I will be optimistic about our chances.

If we set up to not lose, or can''t generate scoring opportunities like at Hull or home to Villa, I will say it''s time for a change.

Bail out and pull thr rip cord. Starting this thread when you did was a bad idea. Cut your losses.

Milk was a bad idea. -Ron Burgundy[/quote]The thread is spot on HC. It''s not the set up it''s the result that determines your reaction. Win and it''s "we took the sting out of them and made the most of our limited chances". Lose and it''s "we dropped too deep and let them have the ball". Villa today, 8 shots against 20 and 33%-67% possession, it don''t matter a jot when you still win the game but matters very much when you don''t..

RS, our goal difference would likely be negative if we lost 2/3 of the games.

My comment on entertainment value for those wins was based on putting myself in a neutral observer''s shoes. To them, the games sucked.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Geez ricardo, he''s not criticising Bruce''s tactics. It was our lack of tactics at the Tigers that is the issue.[/quote]It''s the failure to get a result that''s the issue. Tactics is just the excuse for the disappointment.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]RS, our goal difference would likely be negative if we lost 2/3 of the games.

My comment on entertainment value for those wins was based on putting myself in a neutral observer''s shoes. To them, the games sucked.[/quote]

Not necessarily. If we won 3-0 and lost the other two 0-1, our GD would actually be BETTER !