Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

Very happy with that. But....

We played very well today, and credit where it''s due, for once CH got his tactics right. If only we''d been more like that against hull ''ey? Anyway, my point is this; I still am alarmed by how few chances we create. Howson scores from distance, and we defend well for a decent win. But how many chances did we create? 2? I dare say Stoke had a similar number, with half the amount of possession. How many chances are we creating for our new strike force?

RVW wasn''t at his best today but once again there were a couple of times where if Snodgrass had a right foot, he would have been able to pick out Wolf in space with a pull back. I''m sure this will result in a million words being posted by the wannabe Jonathan Wilson crew on this forum but using inverted wingers is just not working for us in terms of creating chances for our striker.

First of all very pleased with the result and performance. Tactics spot on - took it to them in the first half and then dealt with them well when they decided to press more at the start of the second half. I actually think Ricky''s first touch wasn''t very good today, and a few promising moves broke down through him not controlling the ball well. Still good to see him getting more involved in build up and hope he can kick on. I can see Hooper starting at Chelsea, we have to take whatever chances we make that day!

It’s simple, press higher like we did today, get the back line up, we’ll get players in the box so we’ll create more chances.

I think the change in mind set has only been apparent in the last 3 games, so it will take a bit of time to adjust.

RVW''s first touch was AWFUL! I don''t think it''s a permanent problem, though, he is obviously a class player; perhaps he''s feeling a bit nervous?

Industrious performance and great result today.I would echo your concerns about creativity and team goals.  If you look at the 4 league goals scored so far, all have been solo efforts - with the exception of RVW''s header on the opening day, which actually came to him via a miss-hit Whittaker shot.

RvW looked a bit off the pace today, wonder if his toe injury had a bigger effect than predicted. Certainly seemed to be blowing more than normal and as mentioned his normally excellent first touch wasn''t quite there.
That being said, he is being asked to play a role he hasn''t done before and doesn''t really fit his skills. He isn''t ever going to be a striker who beats Huth or Shawcross in a physical battle - aimless long balls to his head are fairly pointless, he needs the ball played into space ahead of him, which is obviously much easier said than done.

When he left the field RvW apparently took off the boot to relieve pressure on his injured toe. During the game he gave no sign, and possibly there was an element of having to play despite the soreness because of Hooper''s exertions on Tuesday and lack of training since.

It wouldn''t surprise me if next Sunday is when we finally see Hooper unleashed from the start, probably at the expense of Ricky.Other than that, I''d like to see the same team as today given the chance against the Chelsea. Obviously if Seb gets fit then he will play, but even that would be harsh on Bennett who didn''t really put a foot wrong this afternoon.