Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

Anyone for Cloughie?

Not him then who?

Those bright lights Steve Tilson and Mike Newell seem to have dimmed of late but are still untested at a good level with a big club...

Thought he was doing a good job on 1 of the lower budgets. They were saying on Talksport Pulis was there watching. Probably just putting 2 and 2 together.

Lets hope they get a no manager bounce as they have the binners Tuesday and they are getting a little too close to the top 6 .

In this really a serious suggestion?

Why would we sack hughton and replace him with someone who has just been sacked by a championship team and never managed in the premier league?!?!

What is there to suggest he would be better than hughton other than the fact his dad was a great manager?

Well some would say he has achieved plenty Juge. He has continually had to sell his best players so when you consider the constraints he''s probably performed miracles. But I guess Derby need the premier league more and more and are now prepared to gamble to get it. Interestingly of the Derby fans who rang 606 last night none supported the sacking.

With Clough gone there are now only 3 managers who''ve managed a club for more than 4 years. One of them is of course Wenger, the other two are in charge of League Two clubs and both spent a couple of years in the conference before achieving promotion to the Football League.Apart from Wenger the longest serving League managers seem to tend to be from the bottom two divisions. Perhaps managers in the Premier League and Championship are at greater risk of dismissal due to the clubs'' desire to avoid relegation from/achieve promotion to the Premiership?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]With the possible exception of Martin O''Neill and to a much lesser extent, Stuart Pearce, how many people connected with Brian Clough have gone on to managerial success?.[/quote]
Peter Taylor has never struggled to find a job.
Trevor Francis reached three cup finals as a manager.

Peter Taylor, do you mean Cloughs old mate, or the ex Spurs/ Southend player ?. As for Trevor Francis, does he even work for anyone now ?. We could bring Archie Gemmill, Colin Todd, Brian Laws, Frank Clarke and Roy Macfarland into the equation, but none of them have really been a success for long. If you are desperate, you could include Gary Megson , but he is not a Clough man, as Clough did not have a good word to say for him.

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]Peter Taylor, do you mean Cloughs old mate, or the ex Spurs/ Southend player ?. As for Trevor Francis, does he even work for anyone now ?. We could bring Archie Gemmill, Colin Todd, Brian Laws, Frank Clarke and Roy Macfarland into the equation, but none of them have really been a success for long. If you are desperate, you could include Gary Megson , but he is not a Clough man, as Clough did not have a good word to say for him.[/quote]
Have got my Peter Taylor''s muddled up.
But how can somebody put forward Stuart Pearce and then dismiss Trevor Francis? 
Trevor Francis had a 15 year managerial career and was player manager for two clubs over 6 of those years.
He finished 3rd in the top division with Sheffield Wednesday, reached two league cup finals, an FA Cup final, won a promotion from the second tier to the first tier, and reached the play-offs several times.
How does Stuart Pearce''s managerial record hold up against that? Will Hughton achieve 15 years in management?
He was a good manager.

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]Peter Taylor, do you mean Cloughs old mate, or the ex Spurs/ Southend player ?. As for Trevor Francis, does he even work for anyone now ?. We could bring Archie Gemmill, Colin Todd, Brian Laws, Frank Clarke and Roy Macfarland into the equation, but none of them have really been a success for long. If you are desperate, you could include Gary Megson , but he is not a Clough man, as Clough did not have a good word to say for him.[/quote]Roy Keane? Apart from getting Sunderland promoted, he seems to have abandoned management after doing a Roeder-style job on Ipswich.

I actually agree with you about Trevor Francis and Stuart Pearce for that matter. Looking back to when Paul Lambert left us, I actually wanted Malky Mackay to take over, but he was dismissed out of hand by the majority of forum contributors here. It has to be said that many people here wanted Chris Hughton because so many people felt sorry for him after he left Newcastle. If you really look at managerial appointments, how many work out or is it all a matter of luck ?

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]I actually agree with you about Trevor Francis and Stuart Pearce for that matter. Looking back to when Paul Lambert left us, I actually wanted Malky Mackay to take over, but he was dismissed out of hand by the majority of forum contributors here. It has to be said that many people here wanted Chris Hughton because so many people felt sorry for him after he left Newcastle. If you really look at managerial appointments, how many work out or is it all a matter of luck ?[/quote]
I can actually remember a lot of people feeling a little underwhelmed by Hughton but deciding to back the decision as faith to McNally. 
Malky at the time stated that he didn''t want the job because he wanted to repay the faith put in him by Cardiff. 
Even though we ended up with Hughton, there weren''t a great deal of options in this country, and there still isn''t. 
I''d be a lot more vocal with my ''Hughton Out'' cries if I had the slightest idea who we should replace him with, Di Matteo and Solksjear are my only suggestions, and even those would be a big risk. 

id rather have brian than nigel tbh [;)]

in all fairness he did a half decent job. derby might find themselves in more trouble now. on the plus side we might be able to nick will hughes off them in january

I think he was doing a half decent job. The owners seem to sell off their best performer every year and usually for not that much money, it takes an extremely clever or lucky manager to get a team out of the championship with next to no resources and replacing the best player year on year.