Sign in to follow this  
CanaryYellow

Changes for next season?

I''ve played and coached football to quite a high level and whilst I think Worthy has done the best he could in the Premiership with the resources available he needs to make some changes for next season.

Quite obviously we have a keeper who can get us promoted and a good standard of reserve keeper (worryingly good?).

In defence, Flemming was found wanting this season - it is very hard to see what Charlton did wrong and I honestly think if he''d partnered Shacks we might still be up.  Even Doherty will probably look good in the Coca Cola and bag us some Malkyesque goals a set peices.

Our defence was poor and lacked height until Shacks was picked.  But the key reason we shipped so many goals was the support from midfield.  Premiership teams defend with 6-8 players (you only needed to look how hard it was to breakdown Fulham yesterday when we were all over them for the first 20 minutes).  Our wide midfielders never track back.  Only Safri offers the defence any real support.  Holt was out of his depth at the premiership.  I''m not sure that Bentley offered us anything - we always looked more solid with Johnson on the right.

I think our attack is capable of scoring plenty, although we seemed to be becoming reliant on knocking balls up to Ashton and hope that Leon picks up the knock down.  Fulham were on to this and Knight did a job on Ashton yesterday.  Svenson is a reasonable reserve, his positional play on set peices is good but he ALWAYS jumps to early, even the headed goals he scored this season were on the way down!

So, Worthy has released WLV and Mulryne.  I think he should cut loose Stuart, Flemming, Bentley and Holt too.  Then buy and build a better squad.  He has a proven eye for spotting tallent - but strangley it takes him a while to give it a real chance.

Champions twice in 3 years?  Come on city! 

WLY is on the transfer list and come next season may still be here, who knows stranger things have happened. The fact that he hasnt been released on a free suggests to me that perhaps he will be given one last chance over the summer . . . . .

We need cover in the wide areas. I think that Huckerby should either be used as a striker alternating him with McKenzie or we should find a formation that suits him a little better.

I think we need cover in the full back areas as well, Drury has shown that he is at least capable of prem football. I thought that he marked Ronaldo really well.

Centre back is a must also but for me we are really looking at centre mid too. I have not been impressed with the Francis the last couple of months. It would be ok if he was still banging in winning goals but he never seems to be anywhere near that or defending at the moment and that is not good enough at a high level. Yes he was quality in the Championship but he still needs to get his finger out and work harder!

We need someone else to challenge him for his shirt.

I say keep Holt and Fleming for one more season because you can never have too many quality pros at a club and they are probably two of the most respected players within the squad.

Chicken you are one of these people who just can''t see it with holt he does nothing an absolute waste of space and as for being respected within the club that too must be a joke. He does not bring anything to the team. how many time did he just touch the ball yesterday 4 maybe 5 times. for an hours worth of football this is not any where near good enough. He can''t pass, can''t tackle and doesn''t want the ball 

I agree pretty much about everything else, although hux best position is wide left/attack so if we could play a system that would free hux of defending duties then that would be perfect.

At the end of the day we are relegated so lets look forward to winning matches again I''ll be there cheering the boys on whatever league we''re playing in.

Come on you yellows.

Maybe a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 system would stop our midfield being overun, the latter giving Hucks an attacking left wing role. Even last season(03/04) the midfield was outplayed in many games for long periods

[quote]WLY is on the transfer list and come next season may still be here, who knows stranger things have happened. The fact that he hasnt been released on a free suggests to me that perhaps he will be given...[/quote]

Holt, a quality pro? I''ll give him his dues, he always gives 100% - sadly, this means little, as he has no ability whatsoever, and when we play him we are, in effect, playing with 10 men. As demonstrated superbly yesterday.