Sign in to follow this  
Bws Cat

Match thread vs Stoke

[quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]Same old at the minute. Toothless in the final third.[/quote]
Same old? we''ve hit the bar and Stoke haven''t had a shot, with us at nearly 60% poss...
Some fans are never happy...
Oh and we''ve just scored!

Even if the worse should happen, and we don''t get anything from this game, at least we played football for the majority of the first half today.Very refreshing, and great performance so far.

[quote user="Orly"]Even if the worse should happen, and we don''t get anything from this game, at least we played football for the majority of the first half today.Very refreshing, and great performance so far.[/quote]

Agree with that. Awesome away performance for us so far.

If this performance was typical for us away from home then nobody would be moaning, there is intent and desire to get forward, better movement, a bit lateral at times but so much better.

RvW looks to have more of an all round game than has been credited for, dropping back deeper today and running channels well.  Does look a little lightweight though, maybe the Holt diet would sort him out.

[quote user="Wolf"]If this performance was typical for us away from home then nobody would be moaning, there is intent and desire to get forward, better movement, a bit lateral at times but so much better.[/quote]
We did get have the intent and desire to get forward against Hull, we just couldn''t score. 
Spurs have conceded 2 goals in 10 games in all competitions this season. 
So maybe there was never a real reason to moan?
Still, second half coming. We played well in the first half against Villa too, it was the second half which was the problem. 

Keep the ball well away from Snodgrass and there''s a chance of a second goal.....

--------------

he''s not been great offensively today, but that creates a problem where murphy wouldn''t make a good replacement, because snodders offers more defensively.

whittaker on for him at 60/70 min mark for me.

So far we are much the better team today.

We look hungry for the ball, and passing is much better than recently. Pilkington and Howson, who so often go missing, both look up for it.

If we keep this up, the Stoke fans will soon be getting on their players'' backs.

[quote user="MyGodWeArePoorToWatch"]Tettey the weak link so far.

Poor passing, and sideways and backwards. [/quote]
Pretty sure Tettey has cleared the ball from three corners now and done a good job of keeping Walters away from Ruddy. 
I think Tettey is much more valuable as a player when Johnson isn''t in the team. Those two are both defensive midfielders, now we play one defensive midfielder at a time, and we look much better for it. 
Tettey is doing his job today. 

[quote user="Wolf"]Pressing a lot harder than we have been away from home, good stuff![/quote]

What I said before the game! Stoke don''t have technically gifted players at the back and in the middle, if you put them under pressure you''ll win the ball back! Its working a treat, COME ON YOU YELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWS!!!!!

NewBoy wrote -
"Pretty sure Tettey has cleared the ball from three corners now and done a good job of keeping Walters away from Ruddy. 
I think Tettey is much more valuable as a player when Johnson isn''t in the team. Those two are both defensive midfielders, now we play one defensive midfielder at a time, and we look much better for it. 
Tettey is doing his job today."
I couldn''t agree more with this [Y]

Agreed - great first half with midfield looking strong and creative. I quite like the fact we are not letting stoke bully the ball from us and are sticking up for ourselves :)

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]the midfield triangle of tettey fer an howson are the huge bonus of this XI for me.

have we found our best XI with the possible exceptions of hooper, redmond, and bass?[/quote]
It is a squad game, not an XI game, but I''m glad Hughton realises that Johnson and Tettey play the same role and shouldn''t be on the pitch together.
It is Fer who is the difference, the box to box midfielder who can link the defense to the attack, he is class.
I think we could comfortably play either of Johnson or Tettey at the base of that midfield just so long as Fer is in the middle of it.