Sign in to follow this  
Your mother

Tettey

Amongst the positives today, I thought, was Tetteys'' performance. Interested to hear others thoughts, but he seemed to be right-place right-time and always making the right decisions particularly 2nd half. Not suggesting it was perfect, a couple of times I thought he could have been more aggressive and got a foot in, for example, but one of his better performances for us.

For me, he looks much improved in terms of his passing. He doesn''t seem so hesitant anymore which I would say was one of his problems at times last season. He played some good balls and was involved in some of the nice passing away from our area at times.

The rest, the tackling, the tracking, the energy - he had most of that last season in my mind but was always a little short of ideas once he had it in my view. Now he appears to have a little bit more confidence to move it faster.

Wouldn''t go quite as far as "superb"! Between Howsons'' goal, Fers'' MOM and brightness from Pilkington it seemed to me that Tettey earned a mention.

[quote user="chicken"]For me, he looks much improved in terms of his passing. He doesn''t seem so hesitant anymore which I would say was one of his problems at times last season. He played some good balls and was involved in some of the nice passing away from our area at times.

The rest, the tackling, the tracking, the energy - he had most of that last season in my mind but was always a little short of ideas once he had it in my view. Now he appears to have a little bit more confidence to move it faster.[/quote]Well said.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]The whole midfield were superb[/quote]

Careful. Yes today was a great result but that superb midfield barely put two passes together in the second half and once agin failed to control things.

Their break up play was superb. Passing and creativity distinctly average again. Fer, at times, was class. However seemed to tire quickly second half. Tettey did his job well, no thrills but very disciplined. Howson was very industrious and worked hard but looks uncomfortable on the ball.

Badly miss a Micheal carrick type.

I agree, Tettey had an excellent game.  Breaking up play, winning the ball and more importantly doing the right thing with it.  He''s never going to be a playmaker, but he snuffs out opposition attacks effectively when he''s on his game and can push them back with driving runs. Providing he keeps doing the sensible thing in possession, he should keep his place alongside Fer.

there was a reasonable, if not even positive statement in that post lincoln, it was there somewhere, trying to get out. Like a shooting star seen by a partially sighted person. You think you see it, but it all happened so quickly, there''s no point in reviewing it so you just give up.

He also protected Ruddy well from set pieces. Was nice to see us attempt to block their keeper too. We allowed the Villa keeper freedom of our penalty area last week.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]The whole midfield were superb[/quote]

Careful. Yes today was a great result but that superb midfield barely put two passes together in the second half and once agin failed to control things.

Their break up play was superb. Passing and creativity

distinctly average again. Fer, at times, was class. However seemed to tire quickly second half. Tettey did his job well, no thrills but very disciplined. Howson was very industrious and worked hard but looks uncomfortable on the ball.

Badly miss a Micheal carrick type.[/quote]

Never happy are you Lincoln always find something to moan about - enjoy the away win for god''s sake

I don''t know what game Lincoln saw today, if indeed he did see one!!

Howson not comfortable on the ball? I though he and Fer covered a lot of ground and their movement was fantastic looking for the ball drawing players in what was a tight midfield and one that Stoke tried, but failed to bully.

On top of that we were far better in possession, far more progressive moving up the pitch.

The only negative I could draw was that Pilkington came off where I would have taken Pilkington off simply because he looked very good today, very dangerous and looking to create and score.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="ReadingCanary"]The whole midfield were superb[/quote]

Their break up play was superb. Passing and creativity

distinctly average again. Fer, at times, was class. However seemed to tire quickly second half. Tettey did his job well, no thrills but very disciplined. Howson was very industrious and worked hard but looks uncomfortable on the ball.

Badly miss a Micheal carrick type.[/quote]

Never happy are you Lincoln always find something to moan about - enjoy the away win for god''s sake[/quote]

I''m happy mate. It was a good win. But I have doubts over Hughton as many did before today''s result and one win will not alleviate those doubts.

[quote user="Your mother"]Amongst the positives today, I thought, was Tetteys'' performance. Interested to hear others thoughts, but he seemed to be right-place right-time and always making the right decisions particularly 2nd half. Not suggesting it was perfect, a couple of times I thought he could have been more aggressive and got a foot in, for example, but one of his better performances for us.[/quote]Makelélé. Just intercepting like a boss, protecting the defence and keeper and playing it off to the more creative players

[quote user="chicken"]For me, he looks much improved in terms of his passing. He doesn''t seem so hesitant anymore which I would say was one of his problems at times last season. He played some good balls and was involved in some of the nice passing away from our area at times.

The rest, the tackling, the tracking, the energy - he had most of that last season in my mind but was always a little short of ideas once he had it in my view. Now he appears to have a little bit more confidence to move it faster.[/quote]

I think we sometimes forget where some of these players have come from, in Tetteys case he was playing in a league nowhere near the pace of the premiership not only physically but more importantly mentally & after his early promise it was only to be expected that there would be a few average performances, we really need to give these players time to adjust, unfortunately the pressure of the prem & the size of the squad has meant this is very hard to do,

I thought Tettey was excellent today. Good defensive positioning and awareness, fought hard, won tackles and made interceptions. However i was particularly pleased to see him keep his passing nice and simple, but more importantly move it on nice and quickly. If he can win the ball back and give it simply and quickly to the more creative players in front of him to start the attack he can become an important player for us. The extra cover he can give us frees up the more naturally forward thinking midfielders (and possibly fullbacks) to get up and support the forwards more without having to worry if there is cover or not.

I hope he can keep on improving and keep making an impact in our matches.

If Tetty plays as a ball winning midfielder and restricts both his time WITH the ball, and the distance of his passes to a minimum, he does very well, like today.If he doesn''t, he doesn''t do so well.  Each individual within a squad has their own strengths, and I would say Tetty''s ability to intercept the ball / reading of the game (from a defensive perspective) is the best in the squad.  Johnson is a better all round midfielder, however.

Happy for Tettey I said a while ago Fer and Tettey with Howson in front.

I agree with the posts saying he doesn''t recieve enough credit.

Bring on the Chelsea!

Totally agree with this statement.

I thought he was great for us when he first signed but then got injured.

Way better than Johnson imo. Not so much of a ''bull in a china shop''/''headless chicken''!

Tettey to sit more defensive, Fer more of a box to box and Howson to attack more.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I loved how he was all over their player not giving an inch right behind Ruddy on the corner![/quote]

That was funny. The Ref seemed to be telling Tettey to watch the ball and nothing else!