Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Patience is a virtue

Seems as if RVW is the worst striker in the world right now and we have wasted a large portion of our budget on a flop. That''s what I''m seeing from a lot of views flying round right now.

Let''s face it, The Barclays Premier a League is one of the easiest leagues to play in right now. Oh, hang on...

There are no players or managers who find this league easy. Granted, some adapt quicker than others, but each to their own. With RVW being the main focus here, I fully believe that he needs to be supported more, and not picked apart after each game. People that know their stuff will know that with RVW we were never buying a striker that drops into midfield to win a ball, link up play and so forth. Instead we went for a striker that we have not been used to before. A very intelligent striker with top class movement, and a very good temperament. Quality service is still needed for the guy. Correct me if I''m wrong, but so far the season we have not been at our free flowing, creative best.

It''s a huge ask to expect so much from him right now, and the price tag certainly doesn''t help. I fully believe that when we have a team that gels and has some confidence/form behind them, he will flourish.

I guess in a way we are also spoiled by players like Fer and Redmond. In their positions they naturally see a lot of the ball and as a result we haven''t accused them of going missing.

Yesterday could easily have been the catalyst for our season and a few players could really up their game from now. Let''s get behind the lad and see how he develops.

To finish off, these two facts were given to me recently and I found them to be interesting:

Thierry Henry - moved to Arsenal for 11 million - didn''t score in first 8 games.

Dennis Bergkamp - "He struggled to adapt to the English game and failed to score in the club''s next six league matches, prompting ridicule by the national press"

I pointed out in another thread after 6 games Ashton was seen as the biggest waste of money for some people. They were the same people outraged over his departure too.

These boards are a good source of amusement for anyone with a sense of perspective.

agree with all of that, good post......but typically little response to someone talking sense and not slagging off Hughton or this weeks player target!