Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Alexander Tettey

During the first year back in the Premier League the central midfield was physically weak and terrible at winning the ball. However, they often got away with it because they were always looking to get forward and press high up the pitch.It seemed unanimous amongst the fans and management that we needed a physically strong central midfielder capable of winning the ball.This was epitomised by the 5-0 defeat to Fulham at the start of last season.Tettey later came into the team and we soon went through a great run of results. It seemed Hughton had found exactly the player we had been missing to perform that job.Tettey then picked up some injures and tried playing through them so obviously his form suffered. The results of the team suffered too.Tettey now looks fully fit again. He is the best player in the squad at winning the ball and forcing the opposition into mistakes. He is physically strong so doesn''t get pushed off the ball. His successful passing stats are one the best in the squad.Has Hughton completely forgotten how important Tettey was to our great run of results last season?If Hughton wants to make us hard to beat then he should play Tettey in front of the back 4 to allow our more attacking players the freedom to do what they do best.

I agree with this. I would personally push Howson forward into the attacking midfield role at the expense of Elmander. Suddenly you''ve got people playing in their favoured positions. It could just work....

I was making a very similar point just recently, a 4-1-4-1 formation giving a nice balance between attack and defence. Tetty and Fer could rotate as needed to be the one who stays back.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]During the first year back in the Premier League the central midfield was physically weak and terrible at winning the ball. However, they often got away with it because they were always looking to get forward and press high up the pitch.It seemed unanimous amongst the fans and management that we needed a physically strong central midfielder capable of winning the ball.This was epitomised by the 5-0 defeat to Fulham at the start of last season.Tettey later came into the team and we soon went through a great run of results. It seemed Hughton had found exactly the player we had been missing to perform that job.Tettey then picked up some injures and tried playing through them so obviously his form suffered. The results of the team suffered too.Tettey now looks fully fit again. He is the best player in the squad at winning the ball and forcing the opposition into mistakes. He is physically strong so doesn''t get pushed off the ball. His successful passing stats are one the best in the squad.Has Hughton completely forgotten how important Tettey was to our great run of results last season?If Hughton wants to make us hard to beat then he should play Tettey in front of the back 4 to allow our more attacking players the freedom to do what they do best.[/quote]Tetty is excellent without the ball, but eye-wateringly TERRIBLE with it.  If he can somehow learn to pass [greater than] 5 yards without relinquishing possession, I''d be interested in seeing him start.  As it is currently, Johnson is his superior in most regards (with perhaps the exception of interceptions, which I think is Tetty''s true forte)

I find it totally bizarre that CH doesn''t have Fer and Tettey as his first choice central midfield partnership.Howson should only be playing as a forward-midfielder competing for that position with Wes. I don''t understand why CH still hasn''t worked it out.The solution is the one thing that he hasn''t tried.I wish the local media would ask him such questions.

Tettey''s pass completion percentage is actually one of the very highest at the club and Bradley Johnson''s is one of the worst. It seems that some fans are looking for Tettey to make a bad pass and make an issue out of it on the very rare occurrence that it happens. If you watch Tettey carefully he is brilliant at reading the game and forcing the opposition into making mistakes and winning the ball. He is strong on the ball.That is really hard to do in the modern game because opposition players fall over so easily looking for fouls.When he doesn''t play we have a massive hole in central midfield.

To be fair to Hughton, he''s recognised that the last few weeks we have been poor with the ball particularly when Johnson/Tettey played together.

He wanted to see what Howson/Fer arguably the two best footballers [with the ball] we have who play that position.

and to be fair, we created a reasonably amount of goal mouth action.

[quote user="Baracouda"]To be fair to Hughton, he''s recognised that the last few weeks we have been poor with the ball particularly when Johnson/Tettey played together.

He wanted to see what Howson/Fer arguably the two best footballers [with the ball] we have who play that position.

and to be fair, we created a reasonably amount of goal mouth action.[/quote]Tettey''s pass completion percentage is actually one of the very highest at the club and Bradley Johnson''s is one of the worst. Johnson and Tettey have hardly played together this season and besides it has been Johnson not Tettey in poor passing form. Tettey and Fer should be given a chance together. Neither gets pushed off the ball easily and they are the best 2 at winning the ball and retaining possession.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Tettey now looks fully fit again. He is the best player in the squad at winning the ball and forcing the opposition into mistakes. He is physically strong so doesn''t get pushed off the ball. His successful passing stats are one the best in the squad.Has Hughton completely forgotten how important Tettey was to our great run of results last season?If Hughton wants to make us hard to beat then he should play Tettey in front of the back 4 to allow our more attacking players the freedom to do what they do best.[/quote]Wrong.  Fer is the best player in the squad at winning the ball and forcing the opposition into mistakes.

I think Tettey is a bit unlucky not to have been used more than he has.

I thought Howson and Fer were probably the strongest part of our performance against Villa, let down by those around and infront of them coming up short.

I''d have Elmander out of it because at the moment he''s playing a nothing role. But I''m not sure where I''d go after that. Howson and Fer are worth their places but I''d be happy to see Tettey and Hoolahan given a go.

Quote Baracouda : To be fair to Hughton, he''s recognised that the last few weeks we have been poor with the ball particularly when Johnson/Tettey played together.

and to be fair, we created a reasonably amount of goal mouth action.

Arguably?? Yeah. I''d argue with that. Howson? Please give me a break.

Back to the subject, I''d play Tettey and Fer with Hooly in front of them. Pilks and Redders out wide. But CH''s love in with the Leeds boys will see that BJ, Howson and Snodders will start most games.

Let us hope that Chris Hughton will now finally realise that Tettey and Fer are the best option in central-midfield, and that Howson and Wes should only be considered playing as a forward-midfielder in support to the striker.

Donkey dangler wrote the following post at 24/09/2013 2:32 AM:

"Tettey and Fer in the middle for me, with Pilkington playing in the hole just behind the Wolf."

Worth a try, Pilks is probably our best all round attacking option.

The 4-4-2 brigade won''t agree but we don''t have a genuine No.10 in the squad other than Hoolahan. In order to get the best out of the players we have & compete in midfield I''d pick Tettey, Fer & Howson, 2 wingers & a striker.

Tettey sitting allows Fer & Howson to play their natural games, bombing forward to support the striker without being stifled by the defensive duties they currently have.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]

I agree with this. I would personally push Howson forward into the attacking midfield role at the expense of Elmander. Suddenly you''ve got people playing in their favoured positions. It could just work....

[/quote]
This[Y]
Fer in the middle too, and either RVW or I''d now like to see Hooper start Sunday. Also try playing right footed wingers on the right, and left footed on the left as so many have said, and the get them to invert as and when necessary!

[quote user="tom cavendish"]I find it totally bizarre that CH doesn''t have Fer and Tettey as his first choice central midfield partnership.Howson should only be playing as a forward-midfielder competing for that position with Wes. I don''t understand why CH still hasn''t worked it out.The solution is the one thing that he hasn''t tried.I wish the local media would ask him such questions.[/quote]Looks like I got it right ;)

I have to agree tetts is poor with the ball.

Im suprised his pass completin rate is higher than anyone at the club, shocked in fact if true.

I do like him, but i like him to win the ball then play a simple ball to someone who can pay like howson or leroy.

It worked really well yesterday against stoke.

When he tries to press forward or pick a 15yard+ pass he always seems to lose the ball.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="tom cavendish"]I find it totally bizarre that CH doesn''t have Fer and Tettey as his first choice central midfield partnership.

Howson should only be playing as a forward-midfielder competing for that position with Wes.

I don''t understand why CH still hasn''t worked it out.

The solution is the one thing that he hasn''t tried.

I wish the local media would ask him such questions.
[/quote]

Looks like I got it right ;)
[/quote]

That''s not how Norwich played though.

Norwich played a 4-3-3 with Tettey sitting behind Howson and Fer allowing both of them to go forward - Hughton finally noticed that Norwich don''t have a No.10 so played in a system without one.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I guess it''s Tettey sitting back and Howson going forward with Fer doing both as and when it''s needed.[/quote]

Howson did as much tracking back as Fer - in fact Howson made more tackles than Fer and the same amount as Tettey.

The new formation and player combination meant a much more balanced midfield, but did mean RvW was very isolated at times. Pilkington and Snodgrass were more narrow than normal and this is where the support was suppose to come from, it worked well generally but if Stoke had equalised then I think Norwich would have struggled to score again.

The key change was putting Tetty behind Howson and Fer which allowed

Norwich to press Stoke higher up the pitch than would usually have been

the case. If only Tetty could become more adept with his longer-range passing then this system could perhaps be a bit more dangerous on the counter.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I guess it''s Tettey sitting back and Howson going forward with Fer doing both as and when it''s needed.[/quote]

Howson did as much tracking back as Fer - in fact Howson made more tackles than Fer and the same amount as Tettey.

[/quote]

Howson doing loads of good work for the team that goes unnoticed by many.

Standard.

I noticed it, but he did seem more advanced than Fer, i suppose it seemed that way because of his goal and subsequent attempts on goal.