Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel - is he our Danny Graham?

Would somebody please just tell me what Ricky Van W is good at?Heading......No!Shooting.....No!Pace............NoneLink up play....NoTracking back...NoFouling.........ExceptionalThe time has gone where we can keep blaming the rest of the team for not putting them ''on a plate'' for him - Grant Holt did n''t need that and contributed immeasurably more every game. I''ve watched every game this season and cannot recall one shot on target and only one header - the one he scored from point blank range!Even yesterday when the team overall played exceptionally well he was dire. Come on CH, embarrassing as it is bearing in mind how much this under achiever cost us, he has to be dropped and Hooper who seems to have much more about him bought in.As far as the Summer signings are concerned Fer is excellent (fantastic yesterday), as is Redmond. All the rest have still to prove themselves at the top level.

Sorry but did you see him rip apart the Stoke back 4 yesterday?He had them running all over the place and allowed our midfielders SO MUCH SPACEIf he gets better service he will scoreHe''s still adaptingMy God

Even so you''ve wasted your time with the rubbish content.

Yes he can shoot, head, link up play and certainly track back.

Posts like yours a really starting to p!ss me off.

Yesterday was a tough game for him and his first touch was certainly not what we are used to from him but he was playing on his own up there, what do u expect from him? To pick the ball up spin and bang one in from 40yards? Give the guy some time and get off his back.

Why do people have to see things in extremes.

For sure, RVW has been a bit of a disappointment and some of that has been engendered by his own short-comings thus far, but to pan the player as the OP and others have done is perfectly ludicrous.

He won''t be the first high profile striker from another league to fail to live up to expectations during his introductory period.

I fancy that eventually an RVW-Hooper partnership up front could be very fruitful and would assume that Hughton envisages this combination for most future home games, even though he seems to have a leaning for using Elmander at the moment.

RVW desperately needs another goal to unlock that vital ingredient ..... confidence. Then something will click.

It will happen, he is good enough.

He''s going to have many eating thier words come May ..... He will hit form, and when he does we are all going to be very happy

I only had it on for a few seconds but I think it was Jamie Cureton on canary call yesterday, and he was saying that he sees Rvw as more of a hold up player as opposed to an out and out striker, maybe our expectations of loads of goals are too high??

That could be where Hooper comes in, when Hughton decides to play them together!!??

15 failed crosses yesterday as again we focused on attacking through wide areas with low quality delivery.

Only one cross foudn a city player all game.    Our quality in the final 3rd is woeful.

Check out Snodgrass'' first curled shot in the second half - rvw had again found space around the pen spot and needed a simple pass to allow a much better angle for a finish - yet once again snodgrass fails with his delivery.    As a striker all rvw can do is move into goal scoring positions and hope for a quality cross.

And he played his part in our goal as jason roberts pointed out on MOTD2.

I agree with Zipper and for me RVW''s movement is a standard above the passing ability of his team-mates. If he was playing for a team like Spurs for example he would be banging them in.

Give him (and them) time.

He does need to beef up - I understand he has changed to a high protein diet to help with this and his training regime is aimed at improving his upper body strength.   Clearly that will take time.

But getting stronger wont help the quality of balls into him

He''s working hard but getting limited service.

The rest of the lads will learn where to look for him and he will learn how to play better against the defenders in this league.

P[$$ off DC! what are you basing your opinion on, a few games. For a striker to score a hatfull he needfs to be fed a few quality balls hasn''t he. Snoddy finally got his act together, but he''s been cr@p all season imo... our other winger was Pilks and he hasn''t featured a lot yet ... with him on the flank and a rejuvenated Snoddy I can see the Wolf scoring more goals.

It may be that he is being slow to adjust to the EPL, but if you look at the goals he scored at his last club, the service to him has no comparison. He benefited from colleagues who knew where he was and who made passes along the ground for him to run on to, rather as Far did for Hooper.

We have been so laborious that by the time he gets the ball the defence are all back in position. He needs the ball early, as all strikers do, and then perhaps he can re-capture his form.

As for the rest of his game, he generally moves and causes problems to defenders in tracking him. Yesterday he had two of the most physical and uncompromising central defenders in the EPL, and we were without our two most pacy wingers. It was going to be hard, but he stuck at it. It was his challenge from the throw-in which led to Stoke losing possession and to our goal, - not a bad contribution! He was even deep in a defensive role more than once in addition.

I have thought all along, that he has to learn how we play, but the opposite is also true, - the other players have to learn how to supply him with decent chances. My fear is that he will lose interest not because he isn''t scoring goals so much as the fact that he is receiving scraps. Holt complained about this last season, when he was very frustrated. I can''t see RvW doing this publicly, but he must be discouraged.

I don''t think CH knows how best to play RvW. We clearly don''t play to his strengths at all.

It always seems like he''s just left up front and told to hope for the best. I don''t think he''s done anything wrong. We just don''t play a way that seems to suit him right now.

Did you not notice how much space Howson, Fer and the wingers had at times Yesterday? The only reason they had all this space was because of RVW''s movement causing their defenders and DM to have to check on him and stick to him, meaning there would be 2/3 players around RVW at times, meaning space for the others. A strikers job is more than just putting the ball in the net.

[quote user="Crispy"]He''s going to have many eating thier words come May ..... He will hit form, and when he does we are all going to be very happy[/quote]
Agreed

I agree he needs more goals, but yesterday was not a day to criticise him. He hassled and harried the back four and even played a part in Howson''s winner. If he plays like that every game and we win 1-0 then I don''t care if he never scores for us. There will be games coming up where he''ll have chances and he can be judged on them, just like the Villa game where i thought he should have scored at least one of his chances.

Whilst I am the first to say that RVW is taking his time getting up to speed in The Premier League and does appear to need to add a little bulk to his frame, I cannot agree at all with the OP. RVW is very clearly a very talented footballer, he has a great track record and will I am sure, and hopefully the majority on here agree, come good with a little time. As our team play evolves more, other new players get settled, then RVW will too get up to speed and be a very important player for us going forward, just as Hooper will be too.

IMHO the problem is that whoever plays on the wings - Snoddy, Pilks, Redmond or even Murphy are conscious that to keep their place they would rather have a crack at goal than passing to someone in an arguably better position. It''s a shame that Bennett isn''t playing in some respects as he is probably more of a team player.

[quote user="ryanncfc"]Did you not notice how much space Howson, Fer and the wingers had at times Yesterday? The only reason they had all this space was because of RVW''s movement causing their defenders and DM to have to check on him and stick to him, meaning there would be 2/3 players around RVW at times, meaning space for the others. A strikers job is more than just putting the ball in the net.
[/quote]

What he said! [Y]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]He does need to beef up - I understand he has changed to a high protein diet to help with this and his training regime is aimed at improving his upper body strength.   Clearly that will take time.[/quote]Grant Holt was too fat and Ricky is too thin. Perhaps we should have a new rule for people posting transfer rumours on this site that potential new signings should include their vital statistics so we can weigh them up on here before we make our recomendations to Chris Hughton...

Disagree 100% with the OP.  

Also I presume the OP missed the fact that it was RVW competing for a header against two Stoke players midway in the Stoke half, which led to the ball dropping for Pilkington, who then laid it on for Howson to take his quick shot and score.