Sign in to follow this  
YellowAndGreenDreamTeam

Pilkington

Lots of threads on other individuals today but I''m a little surprised to not see much mention for Pilkington? In my opinion, I think he had a great game and looked pretty lively, a very different player to Redmond for sure.

Any one else agree?

Absolutely.

Very, very tricky for a big chap. Can turn a defender in an instant, then go direct or trick his way through. He has that ability to provide the unexpected that we all too often lack.

If he was only a bit more consistent/fully fit, he would be a truly great player.

I agree. Was really pleased with him today. Great run and shot early on, worked so hard all game and played the simple, one touch pass needed for Howson''s goal. How often this season have we seen players try something overcomplicated in that position this season. It speaks volumes that we didn''t miss Redmond, who has been outstanding so far.

Should be one of the first players on the team sheet when fit. 
I''d put Redmond on the right. 

He''d be a certainty in my XI if fit, with Redmond and Snod fighting it out for the right wing slot (Redmond would currently get the nod), he just adds that something. Would be rather good to see what a run of Pilks + Olsson playing together might bring us.

The New Boy (Le Juge) "Should be one of the first players on the team sheet when fit. I''d put Redmond on the right."

I''ve thought the same thing. I''ve been irritated at Snods lately, but I still think he''s a key player. Would be interesting to see how it would work if he was replaced by Redmond on that side.

Pilks was MotM for me today. I hope that cements his place in the starting 11.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]He''d be a certainty in my XI if fit, with Redmond and Snod fighting it out for the right wing slot (Redmond would currently get the nod), he just adds that something. Would be rather good to see what a run of Pilks + Olsson playing together might bring us.[/quote]
I''d like to see Pilkington taking more of the set pieces. 

[quote user="YellowAndGreenDreamTeam"]Lots of threads on other individuals today but I''m a little surprised to not see much mention for Pilkington? In my opinion, I think he had a great game and looked pretty lively, a very different player to Redmond for sure. Any one else agree?[/quote]

Not a great fan of Pilkington. Too inconsistent for me. I did not see much of him in the game today. Would agree he has a powerful shot with either foot.

Snodgrass has had his critics over recent games I would agree his final ball on many occasions has been poor. However he has a tremendous work rate, links up well with Russell Martin, and most of our attacks came through him. On todays performance I think it would be fair to say he spent twice as much time on the ball compared with Pilks.

At Stoke today I thought we should have won more comfortably but on several occasions you could see there was no obvious presence in the penalty box to aim at.

Good points all round!

He did well today and like someone said, for some reason I think he and Olsson could be an exciting partnership down that side in time. I also think his goal threat from midfield has been an important thing for us.

Also as was mentioned I wouldn''t mind seeing Redmond tried on the right and how that would work - You could possibly try Snodgrass behind the striker if you didn''t want to drop him. Don''t know if it would work, but his play in terms of what you want from a winger is still frustrating. He rarely beats a man, and we rarely look like scoring from one of his crosses delayed by cutting inside - both things Redmond has shown some ability in. Snodgrass has a good shot, can win a header and i sometimes wonder if he likes cutting inside so much maybe there is a case to try him there.

Anyway, well done Pilkington. (and yes, give him some set pieces too)

For me we should start with Snodgrass/Pilkington on the wings when fit, and then bring Redmond on about 60 minutes for the one who is least effective.

Pilkington is a brilliant player. Never seen someone so able to use both feet

I like Pilks, He is comfortable shooting with either foot and seems to give us a better balance.

Snoddy is going through a difficult time but he gives his all for the cause and will be influential over the season.

Wolf is suffering from a lack of confidence. I have defended him up until this game because the service to him has been poor but as soon as Elmander came on he held the ball up and we started to play further up the field. Juts feel that with Hooper playing today we could have scored a couple more.

If Hoots sends his team out for the rest of the season with this balance and athleticism, we will end up mid table. Coming from a PantWetter eh? Wots gorn on Nail?

What''s this? A sensible thread without the usual silly bickering ? Oh but hang, on, there are a few obvious posters that haven''t found this one yet.

So whilst it''s still clear of the baffoons,  I thought Pilks was superb today. One of the genuinely two footed players around and an excellent work rate.  I know he would like to play through the middle, and today , particularly just after half time, he did. I''m still not sure about The Wolf in this lone role, but all things considered a decent performance.

Trouble is without the baffoons this thread will drop off quickly. so goodbye everyone.

Fer and Pilks our best two today. Think we should give Hooper a run up front - RvW''s touch was poor and Hooper looked good against Watford. Despite the criticism he gets I thought Elmander added physical presence when he came on.

Looks to be what Redmond should be aiming at a few years down the linecertainly has been missed and with our new tactic of scoring from outside the box will be a welcome addition to that ''firepower''let''s hope the suggestions of him looking elsewhere (or being sought by others) are groundless ... and stay that way

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 29/09/2013 9:25 PM:

Fer and Pilks our best two today. Think we should give Hooper a run up front - RvW''s touch was poor and Hooper looked good against Watford. Despite the criticism he gets I thought Elmander added physical presence when he came on.

CH got the subs spot on today, I was calling for Hooper but in the end Elmander did the job required. Pilks was completely knackered after an excellent performance.

I''m glad that he appears to have ''bulked up'' a bit.  He was jumping out of tackles that were coming in from 10 minutes into the future, last season.Still seems a little shy at putting his foot in (especially compared to his wing compatriot, Snodgrass), but I was very impressed with him today.  Not quite as quick as Redmond (who is?) but had consistently good end product.

Like the midfield of Tettey, Fer and Howson together it was about time Pilkington was in the team.

Who is?  Both Murphys are, give it a year and we''ll be overloaded with pacey tricky wingers, bliss!

Pilks was superb yesterday, a real threat.  I see Redmond as first choice on the left but on current form, Pilks should get in ahead of Snodgrass.  Snoddy had a better game, but has still been woefully below par this season.  Get Pilks and Redmond on together, they can switch as and when required.

I thought he was excellent, heavily involved and seemed to be playing to impress, which is what you do when there is competition in the squad.

I agree Pilks and Redmond look the form wingers, but i''d be cautious to drop Snoddy, as he''s like having another centre mid there at times as his work rate is outstanding. He may not be getting is crosses and dribbles right enough at the moment, but we''d be badly exposed without him playing and working hard.

It seems as if, having tried everything else, CH ran out of options and tried what people have been suggesting on this board for weeks, ie Tetty and Fer as a pairing and Pilks and Olsen on the left.

Now all he needs to try is Redmond on the right.

I only saw the highlights of the Watford game, but both of the first two goals came from a pass/cross from Redmond on the right. Hooper''s first goal would not have happened with Snoddy on the right, because by the time Snoddy had got the ball, run a bit and then cut in Hooper would have been marked (that''s assuming Snoddy had managed to stay on his feet long enough to cut in and cross).

I''m not a Snoddy hater, but he does appear out of form.

[quote user="vos"]

[quote user="YellowAndGreenDreamTeam"]Lots of threads on other individuals today but I''m a little surprised to not see much mention for Pilkington? In my opinion, I think he had a great game and looked pretty lively, a very different player to Redmond for sure. Any one else agree?[/quote]

Not a great fan of Pilkington. Too inconsistent for me. ..........

[/quote]Agree with this.Yes, he had his best game for a long time yesterday but he needs to do that a lot more. Perhaps now he''s abandoned his dreams of joining ZZ Top he''ll be able to concentrate on his football......[:D]