Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Snodgrass' right foot

Seen a number of posters criticize Snodgrass recently (myself included). Amongst other complaints is his one-footedness. Now I agree, watching him last season it was so frustrating to see him repeatedly and predictably cut in on his left and provide no real threat on goal and only inswinging crosses, which are much harder to convert. However, there were clear signs at the end of last season that Snodgrass had been working on his game, and either through good coaching, or his own development, he was attempting to cross with his weaker foot. I was excited by this as this was his main downfall - it made him too predictable and was a big part of the lack of chances last season. This season, he has continued in this vein - Last week against Villa he made a number of right footed crosses, the quality of which werent actually too bad. Yesterday he did it again, quality not so great, but he is clearly trying to broaden his game and become a more effective supplier. His shot on goal towards the end was an absolute peach and one of the few times he has ever really looked like a threat cutting in.

Snoddy has received a lot of criticism recently, and his attitude has been questioned many times. His on the pitch attitude I think could do with some work considering his recent spats, but the guy has clearly been working hard in training. This can only be commended and as he continues to work on it, may he become a more effective winger. Think some of the recent criticism has been unfair. Though some has been well deserved.

I had noticed he tried using his right foot yesterday as well. At least twice I think! (I had to do a double take) Not the greatest quality yet, but well done him I say. Good to see players trying to improve their game. Having said that I would still like to see what Redmond can do for us on that right hand side as well, but it''s great to have these options.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]

I can''t work out why we haven''t tried him on the left wing, he''d be far more effective whipping them in early without having to change feet.

[/quote]

We have. We tried him there many times last season. Many people (myself included) were crying out to try him there. He was awful. Lacked the pace to be a direct winger and looked horribly uncomfortable. Makes sense on paper but he was really ineffective there. I hope he never plays there again!

The Great Mass Debater wrote the following post at 30/09/2013 12:39 PM:

Chelmsford Canary wrote:

I can''t work out why we haven''t tried him on the left wing, he''d be far more effective whipping them in early without having to change feet.

We have. We tried him there many times last season. Many people (myself included) were crying out to try him there. He was awful. Lacked the pace to be a direct winger and looked horribly uncomfortable. Makes sense on paper but he was really ineffective there. I hope he never plays there again!

But, in a nutshell, he has neither the trickery nor the pace to put in a cross behind an opposition defence. As a result we either slow our attacks down or he comes inside and delivers with the ''wrong'' foot, which is not the type of service for other players to get on the end of.

He did use it yesterday, but it wasn''t pretty!

Then again his left wasn''t a massive improvement either to be honest.  He worked hard enough, but the quality was unfortunately missing again.  A real pity as it was the only real down side I could find from a very positive performance and result!

If we can continue with the industry and effort we produced yesterday and add that quality in the final third then we will be a handful! 

Snake

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The Great Mass Debater wrote the following post at 30/09/2013 12:39 PM:

Chelmsford Canary wrote:

But, in a nutshell, he has neither the trickery nor the pace to put in a cross behind an opposition defence. As a result we either slow our attacks down or he comes inside and delivers with the ''wrong'' foot, which is not the type of service for other players to get on the end of.[/quote]

So if we agree Snoddy doesnt really have the qualities of a winger, and his main reason for inclusion appear to be his set-pieces (which are massively overrated if you ask me, far too often fails to clear the first man), then could there be an argument for playing him in the hole? Which is where Hughton played him in the friendlies when he had just been signed if Im not mistaken? But would he be any better than Hoolahan - not for me personally

I have sympathy with Snods on this one, us left footers are often like that (myself included) but nobody cares when it''s Robben or Messi who are pretty 1 footed. Davor Suker was famously 1 footed too. Snodgrass has great technique with his left foot to get lots of curl on the ball as his shot yesterday showed. If Begovic hadn''t been alert, we''d be boning off that goal all over these forums today.

He p*sses me off sometimes with his hanging on to the ball too long and interfering in things he shouldn''t.

But I also know he''s a bloody good player and when he''s on form he''s a big threat. He is very good at facing defenders up and forcing them to back off or commit. Which is why he''s best suited on the right, not the left.

He''s not quite the workhorse he''s made out to be sometimes but he never lets a bad run of form stop him from trying to make something happen.

Being one footed is ok if you have pace. He doesnt!

He will run through walls for the team, but his lack of ability is imho the reason why he tries to win so many free kicks.

I would drop him personally.