Sign in to follow this  
OxShireCanaryYellow

Drop Turner for Bassong?

NO, definately not.....sure Bennett has been good, however arguably Turner over the last 15 or 20 matches has been even better than Bassong, and Bassong is good, very good.  

At the moment, Turner and Seb is definitely our best pairing.However, it is good to know we have a dependable back-up with Ryan, and also Russell Martin of course.

No!

Bassong and turner had a really great understanding last year and I still think by far they''re the best combination.

Bennett is defensively very good, my only issue is his distribution. He tries to ping cross field balls and doesn''t have the skill to do so! Turner never tries anything which is beyond his level. The majority of time he just lays it off to LB or RB.

Also believe last season turner made a higher tackle and block level than bassong!

Whilst Turner hasn''t done a lot wrong, i''d love to see the pairing of Bennett and Bassong. I''ve seen real potential in Bennett since the back end of last season and he''s quickly catching Turner up.

[quote user="Vaughans Stiff Upper Lip"]Also believe last season turner made a higher tackle and block level than bassong![/quote]Perhaps he uses a block and tackle to get higher than  Bassong. Can''t say I''ve noticed the skyhook though. [H]

I think Bennett is the best CB we have.Turner & Bass I feel have one mistake a game in them, still very good but with Bennett I am more confidant .So for me Bass just but wouldn''t mind Turner with Bennett.Bennett has marked anyone you throw at him out of the game Aguero , Benteke & Lukaka to name a few.

Couldn''t handle Petric though could he ;-)

Yes that was a jestful post as it was a year ago and he''s far better now.

I still don''t think he''s been tested by the elite level strikers yet.

Drop Bennett for Bassong.

Play Bassong alongside Turner because they are the best defenders and the best partnership at the club.

Leave Bennett on the bench because he''s still some way off being as good as either of those but he''s decent backup.

Bassong has a job on his hands getting in ahead of Bennett in my opinion. Turner''s place looks more at risk.

Turner and Seb are still my first choice too.   Ryan has done well since coming in (making the Everton decision to leave him on the bench bizarre) but his passing is too erratic.     It may improve but solid back up is what he remains.

I would like to see another centre back in though to go ahead of Turner... 

Bennett has upped his game and played at least aswell as Turner and Bassong from the time he came back into the side towards the end of last season. Players who are performing well should stay in the team he deserves to start the next match.

Bassong''s current form, we was shaky at the start of the villa game... and thought we looked much more settled when Bennett came on, and this has carried into the Stoke match.

Nevertheless, what a great situation to be in, discussing 3 CB''s on the merit of their performances, as opposed to 3 struggling CB''s.

We also forget that Martin has came in done ok at CB.

Bennett was up against Jones and later Crouch. The people here bought on the idea that he is now first team is frightning. Turning circle of a tank and so has Kenwyne, that''s why he looked good. I am not counting championship attackers at Watford as that should be a given he deals with them.

His recent form certainly affords us the time to get bassong proper fit as i am not sure he has been all season so far.

But i agree you should stay in the team until you mess up. Otherwise your keeping yourself fit to cover injuries, there is no motivation in that!

Defensively Bennett was outstanding, I also liked his burst from defense into the midfield, creating an extra man in there can be vital.However, his passing is frightenly bad, nearly ever time to drove forward he gave the ball away, and even his passes in defense make me cringe. Also early doors I saw alot of long balls aimed at RVW who against Shawcross and Huth, has no chance,