Sign in to follow this  
OxShireCanaryYellow

Starting 11 for Stoke

Snoddy should be at very best a bench warmer!

can''t believe people picking him after Saturday

Why are people suggesting Martin at CB when Ryan Bennett is fit? I think Bennett is fast developing into a quality CB and deserves his place with Seb out. If we''re going to go for the win then Hooper should start in the hole, where he played Tuesday night, although I doubt very much that will happen. Bye bye Snoddy for me too. He let the team down on Saturday and should be dropped until he learns that the team does not revolve around him.

I''d like to see:

Ruddy

Whittaker - Turner - Bennett - Olsson

Redmond (yes, on the right!!) Fer - Tettey - Pilks

Hooper

RvW

We''re going to see:

Ruddy

Martin - Turner - Bennett - Garrido

Johnson - Fer

Snodgrass - Howson - Redmond

RvW

Murphy should be on the bench. He''s earned it. If Sterling is good enough to play for the Scousers then Murphy is certainly good enough too. Send him out on loan??? F Off.

[quote user="Scooby"]Why are people suggesting Martin at CB when Ryan Bennett is fit? I think Bennett is fast developing into a quality CB and deserves his place with Seb out. . [/quote]

If Ryan Bennett was that good then why didn''t he start the season when Bassong was out?

I know Martin is club captain and does a decent job there but if Bennett was such an outstanding prospect then surely it''d be a no brainer?

He gets a bit over-hyped.

*****************Ruddy

Whittaker - Martin - Turner - Garrido

*********** - Fer - Tettey - ************

**Redmond - Hoolahan - Pilkington**

***************Elmander****************

****************Hooper*****************

I''d drop RVW, and bring him on around 60 minutes regardless of the score. Definitely drop Snodgrass.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Scooby"]Why are people suggesting Martin at CB when Ryan Bennett is fit? I think Bennett is fast developing into a quality CB and deserves his place with Seb out. . [/quote]

If Ryan Bennett was that good then why didn''t he start the season when Bassong was out?

I know Martin is club captain and does a decent job there but if Bennett was such an outstanding prospect then surely it''d be a no brainer?

He gets a bit over-hyped.

[/quote]

For most yes, but not our CH. I doubt you''ll see a team without Seb or Russ in it for a while.

For me we need to return from 442 and 4411 to 4231 or a 4141.

For all the euphoria of a deserved win against Watford it was still a cup game against a decent lower league team - tomorrow is the real deal against a very decent defence.

We cant go 442 - we will simply lose possession and ground in midfield making chance creation impossible. We have to compete in the centre and get our midfielders froward to create passes like Fers for our chosen striker.

I stick with RvW - fighting strength with strength hardly worked for Holt afterall - so lets see if guile and movement with some decent passing can improve things.

For me I would start

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bennett garrido

Tettey

Redmond Fer Howson Pilkington

RvW

Subs

Bunn Whittaker, Olsson, Johnson, Snodgrass, Hooper Elmander

Our tactics away from home against teams where we might have a realistic chance of victory have failed for months. Time for a more positive approach.

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong (Bennett) Olsson

Redmond Fer Tettey Pilkington

Hooper

Elmander

I would go for the physicality of Elmander over RvW. Hooper has to play. And if we set out with the mindset that we might win that has to be a better starting point for a match.

Stoke aren''t as physical and ''''hoof'''' ball as they were under TP, Sparky has tried to get the ball down on the deck more and play it around, while trying to exploit the flanks with a bit of pace and flair (Etherington being out could be a big positive for us). So I think an extra man in midfield could be what we need Tomorrow. For me it''d be:RuddyWhittaker   Bennett   Turner    Olsson (although I think bot full backs will be Martin and Garrido)Johnson   FerRedmond     Hoolahan   PilkingtonHooper

Subs: Bunn, Martin,  Snodgrass, Murphy, RVW, and 2 from Howson, Elmander and Tettey

I agree Stoke are not so much "hoof ball" now, BUT they remain a very big, strong and physical side, the extra man in midfield could be a way forward although perhaps unlikely considering CH certainly having a preference for two wide men.

I certainly agree with Hooper playing ahead of RVW, who is certainly still trying to find his feet at this level, its clear he has the potential to do this, but against this Stoke side Hooper is better equiped I feel.

Really surprised so many on here leave Johnson out of the side and seem to prefer Tettey, why is that exactly, Johnson actually plays very few poor games and seems to revel in the more physical matches, not sure Tettey does though, this game is made for Johnson.

As for Snodgrass, surely the way to get him fully up to speed is to play him, he has great energy and will certainly want to make amends for last week, he made a mistake that I am sure he was gutted about, the way now is to move on and not keep punishing him.

There seems general agreement, with the possible exception of Redmond or Snoddy on the right. I tend to the former, because we need pace to get round fullbacks. Progress down the right tends to be slow with Snoddy, which allows defenders to get back. We would lose Snoddy''s (variable) ability with set pieces which was important for us last year. What has happened to Snoddy this year? I wondered if he was carrying slight injury.

I know that CH likes pacy wingers, and I can understand why - defenders become scared - they risk committing a foul, or looking foolish when a winger skips by them, and good wingers can get down the by-line quickly and pull the ball back, which makes it easier for on-coming strikers and harder for defenders.

So I plump for Redmond on the right and Pilks on the left, with Josh to come on against tiring defenders, perhaps.

RuddyWhitaker - Turner - Bennett - Olsson                      Tettey                 Fer        Johnson                    Hoolahoop          The Wolf  - HooperBring on Pilks and Redmond later on to stretch the flanks

Key elements for me are the seemingly undropable Snodgrass hasn''t been performing and is in my opinion playing a big part in our current lean spell so needs dropping, players who done the business at Watford in midweek have to be considered and RVW and Hooper have got to start!

My team for tomorrow -

Ruddy

Whittiker, RB

Turner, Ryan Bennett CB''s

Garrido LB

Tetty, Fer CM

Olsson LW

Redmond RW

Hooper, RVW CF with Hooper slightly behind with RVW staying in the middle at all times and not going far beyond the half way line when we''re defending unless its near the end of the game and we''re winning!!

Subs -

Bunn, Martin, MURPHY, Snodgrass, Elmander, Howson, Hoolahan

A bit attack minded maybe but end of the day, all out attack got us the win at Watford one of the best teams outside the top flight!

It looks like on a rough count that those who think Snoddy will not play outnumber those who think he will by 3 or 4 to one.

We have Bassong and Garrido out injured, so suspect Whittaker and Ayala to be on the bench, although I would blood another youngster, Gafaiti, saw him play alongside Ayala for U21''s last Monday and to me looked the more solid defender, however this will not happen, that I do know.

Would like to see Murphy on the bench but this may not happen either, especially as I predict Snoddy will play, on the right, with Redmond on the left.

Keeper; Ruddy

Back four; Martin (c), Turner, Bennett, Olsson

Centre Midfield; Tettey & Fer

Up Front; Howson behind RVW

Bench; Bunn, Whittaker, Ayala, Johnson, Hooper, Pilks, Murphy  (therefore missing are; Wes, Elmander and I''m not sure both of these will be left out altogether, probably one will be in instead of Murphy).

This is not the team I would pick but then I don''t get paid the big bucks, I suspect it will be the team CH picks.

Oh well, I didn''t reckon on Redmond''s slight injury, other than that got 10 out of 11, did anyone better that?

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I think I Love Fernando Derveld got all 11.[/quote]Good, cos he got got buggerall when he played

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"]                                                         RuddyMartin      Turner      R Bennett      Olsson                Fer      Tettey      JohnsonRedmond                                  Pilkington                           HooperSubs:BunnWhittakerGarridoHowsonMurphyElmanderRVW

[/quote]Not far off. Right formation, slightly out with players. And we won. Maybe I have a future in football management? [:D]