Sign in to follow this  
Reverend Timothy Smallpiece

RvW apologists

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Holt would have been chuffed with the Wolf''s challenge against two of Stoke''s tuffies, to effectively make the opening for our goal. He actually worked really hard all time he was on the pitch. That side of his game is coming along nicely. The goals will come.[/quote]

I wondered who else had noticed that his arial challenge of two stoke defenders practically set up our goal.

I could understand people saying he is struggling to adapt a little, I would agree. Although that is the norm for the majority of foreign players - look at Giroud from last season to this and it''s like two different players, so at this stage I just don''t think there is anything to worry about. But for people to say he is not trying or working hard enough is mystifying to me.

A week ago - don''t know about now - he had committed the most fouls in the league this season, that even suggests he might be throwing himself around too much, but certainly not standing there and doing nothing, waiting for the ball. In fact when we have the ball, he moves far more than most of the strikers I have seen play for Norwich.

He does need to work on his general play, but we are still unable to properly use his greatest asset of scoring goals. I would be the first to congratulate the team today on a job well done, but I would add that for all our good play (particularly in the first half) the number of chances we created for anyone, let alone Van Wolfswinkel was again not that impressive, especially considering our dominance. Whoever is playing upfront, that is something that needs to improve.

I doubt whether you''re a real Reverend and therefore I think that none of your posts have any credibility whatsoever. If you think that RVW has really fallen behind even Becchio in the pecking then I''m lost for words. However I actually think that the way that you belittle RVW, using phrases such as ''if mummy kisses his big toe better'' or whatever it was, suggests that you''re nothing more than a troll.

His movement was good a d at times his touch was poor but let''s not get carried away. His service wasn''t great, a lot of high balls and for two of the most physical centre backs about it was food and drink.

Give him time and he will be ok

Reverend wank piece you clearly know nothing about football step forward and take a bow son, great post after great post a shining light for us all!!''

I think rvw is a clever footballer used in a role which probably won''t get the best out of him for some time.

I think his touch was off today and doesnt offer an outlet when balls are punched forward for him, which we needed most of the second half but movement and work rate were there as usual. Took a bit of a battering as expected but worked the back line well.

Once he can get some space in the final 3rd I think his quality will show. Very good footballer in my opinion just needs time to get used to the football here.

Reading these anti RvW statements makes me wonder if any of you even understand how football is played. The detractors on this board are just so g@d d@mn tedious and petulant. I''m glad that this kind of Norich "fan" is relegated to the backwaters of this obscure message board.

[quote user="Reverend Timothy Smallpiece"]For £8.4 million it should be taken as given that a player can cimontrol a simple ball to feet. Something to work on in training. A loan spell in the Championship would help and toughen him up to boot.[/quote]A good try Rev, but you won''t be seeing him at Poorman Rd

[quote user="ron obvious"]His first touch was well off today - never noticed that before - was his injured toe the problem?[/quote]If he was then it was silly to risk him today.Maybe Hooper wasn''t 100%

He deserves a lot of credit for keeping Stoke''s defense busy. They had to spend a lot of time babysitting RvW, and that created a lot of openings for the kids. On a whole, it wasn''t a great game for him. But anyone who wants to make that a prediction of a trend is a tw@t waffle. Any excuse to blow a note on the jackass horn.

Playing 1 striker really doesn''t flatter his style of play. Never saw the likes of Owen/players that thrive off the shoulder holding the ball up. Yes his touch was a little off today but the ground he covers is me of the highest In the 11!

To be honest I think hooper would be a better option in a loan striker move and ricky far better suited playing with another forward

[quote user="Vaughans Stiff Upper Lip"]Playing 1 striker really doesn''t flatter his style of play. Never saw the likes of Owen/players that thrive off the shoulder holding the ball up. Yes his touch was a little off today but the ground he covers is me of the highest In the 11!

To be honest I think hooper would be a better option in a loan striker move and ricky far better suited playing with another forward[/quote]
Holt would have been the perfect strike partner for Van Wolfswinkel.
Just saying. 

He was playing against 2 of the leagues toughest and roughest centre halves so im pretty sure that any new striker playing his first few games in the premier league would struggle against them. Our final ball wasnt perfect again either and i dont doubt he would score from a towering header over those 2. Give the guy a break!

crabbycanary wrote the following post at 30/09/2013 6:04 AM:

Like they said on MoTD2, he occupied the two centre halfs. His movement is excellent, it''s the service that needs to improve.

I fully agree. Yet again we have seen poor service into the box (especially from the right) and yet again we have seen RvW stretching a whole defence.

You really have to be there to see what happens off the ball as cameras tend to only follow the ball.

Mind you, there seems to be quite a few who post on here who go to matches and also only follow the ball, thus if a player runs quickly or appears to work hard they classify them as having good games.

So we go to Stoke, put in a very good performance (yes I went to the game!), win the game and all people can do is criticise Hughton and RVW!

There really are some first class TWAT5 on this board!

Why all the negativity? Yesterday was absolutely fantastic. It was exactly what I''ve wanted to see from an away performance by a Hughton side since he came to the club. The bar has been set and there is every reason to think the players will want to maintain those same levels. We never gave Stoke a sniff, our industry was fantastic and some lovely football played at times. These are the signs of change that have been missing for so long. They are finally here, there is reason for positivity. Get behind the team and lets try to keep some momentum

It wasnt his best performance by a long way but he still found space where our RHS players in particular failed to find him in and his movement was good.

He does need to improve physically but the number of fouls confirms he is getting involved and working the centre backs.   He thrives on through balls but there were none from central midfield again - and when the crosses are of such low effectiveness can anyone tell me which chances he has missed.

The lad is a talented footballer and has a stromg technical game missed by plenty on here.    Hoopers game is very similar - relying on good quality passing (which he got against watford from fer and redmond where the quality fo defending in lower) but did not happen against stoke.   Why anyone thinks Hooper will improve things is beyond me.

Both Elmander and Hooper have scored in the Cup games and the reaction to both has to been disproportionately hype them - elmander has subsequently been criticised - but looked better as the lone striker yest - but had no more joy out of the experienced Huth Shawcross than RvW.

Plenty of time for Ricky to improve.

Any player who can be part of an international squad in the top ten in the world can obviously play the game.

For some people on this board to suggest that he is a wate of money and is a flop obviously have no idea about football.

He did enough yesterday to show his class, unfortunately too many people only watch the ball and make ill-informed judgements from that.

In the end I think I will take the judgement of managers and coaches of an international team some eight places higher than England at the moment.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Any player who can be part of an international squad in the top ten in the world can obviously play the game.

For some people on this board to suggest that he is a wate of money and is a flop obviously have no idea about football.

He did enough yesterday to show his class, unfortunately too many people only watch the ball and make ill-informed judgements from that.

In the end I think I will take the judgement of managers and coaches of an international team some eight places higher than England at the moment.[/quote]
Agree with all of this. A lot of people on here seem to have no clue about football and the adjustments, time to settle in for oversea players. Some yes hit the ground running and for others it can take a season, stick him in one of the top six teams and I bet he would have gotten a few more goals simply because of the chances they create. And look at Snodgrass.... if he had a right foot he could whip balls in to the box from the byline for Ricky to run onto or get ahead of his man at the near post etc, the amount of times Snoddy gets into a good position to do this and then cuts back on to his left foot and F''s around, Ricky has already made his move and got into a good position only to see Snoddy prance about like a fluffy pink fairy.  

RvW is clearly still adapting to the Premier League. Meanwhile his Norwich team mates are still trying to find a way of playing that doesn''t leave their lone striker isolated.

Holt suffered from that same isolation, yet being more of a bully up front he could make more of a visible impact, even when he wasn''t seeing much of the ball or scoring.

Having seen many of the intelligent runs that RvW makes during a match, and witness none of his team mates able to find him with a pass, I am amazed the club didn''t spend an equal amount of money for an upgraded version of Hoolahan to play behind RvW ''in the hole''.

Norwich''s play is far too slow in the final third of the pitch. Once the ball does come into the box RvW has already made his run, been picked up by his marker, with other defenders back and organised.

At present it looks like we will have to wait for either Howson or Fer to figure out a way to find RvW with a pass. But our tactics aren''t helping him one bit.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]RvW is clearly still adapting to the Premier League. Meanwhile his Norwich team mates are still trying to find a way of playing that doesn''t leave their lone striker isolated.

Holt suffered from that same isolation, yet being more of a bully up front he could make more of a visible impact, even when he wasn''t seeing much of the ball or scoring.

Having seen many of the intelligent runs that RvW makes during a match, and witness none of his team mates able to find him with a pass, I am amazed the club didn''t spend an equal amount of money for an upgraded version of Hoolahan to play behind RvW ''in the hole''.

Norwich''s play is far too slow in the final third of the pitch. Once the ball does come into the box RvW has already made his run, been picked up by his marker, with other defenders back and organised.

At present it looks like we will have to wait for either Howson or Fer to figure out a way to find RvW with a pass. But our tactics aren''t helping him one bit.[/quote]

The club tried to. To quote the philosopher Jagger, you can''t always get what you want. But the club will try again in January.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]RvW is clearly still adapting to the Premier League. Meanwhile his Norwich team mates are still trying to find a way of playing that doesn''t leave their lone striker isolated.

At present it looks like we will have to wait for either Howson or Fer to figure out a way to find RvW with a pass. But our tactics aren''t helping him one bit.[/quote]

The club tried to. To quote the philosopher Jagger, you can''t always get what you want. But the club will try again in January.

[/quote]

An update on the two players we did try to sign. As is well-known (see other thread...), dear old Quagliarella has gone from being apparently surplus to requirements at Juventus to starting games and scoring goals, althougb Llorente and Tevez seem to be the first choices. As for Toivonen, a couple of weeks or so ago Voetbal International, the authoritative Dutch publication, had a big piece describing him as a pariah at PSV and entirely out of the picture. Since when he has started four games in a row, including key fixtures in the league and the Europa League. An odd kind of pariahdom.

Jury still out for me looks very lightweight and does not got involved enough, touches stats not good we will see but Hooper better imo.

Quite a statement to make when Hooper has only played 1 competitive game for us against a Championship side that had made 8 changes from it''s League line-up!

I have seen enough of RvW''s general play to know this guy is a class act and his header against Everton was top class! To guide a miss hit shot/cross into the top corner from that distance was absolutely quality!  His movement is top quality and not everyone is built like Duncan Ferguson so even quality players will get knocked off the ball by 6ft 3in Grunting Central Defenders!  Often they are fouled but you have to rely on the ref to deal with that!

Wolves need feeding! Hoooowwwwllll!

Snake