Sign in to follow this  
Mellow Yellow

42 points

Even if this patchy form continued we would finish on about 42 points. If we improve, as I think we will, then more points and premier league consolidation is distinctly possible. We can then buy better players and move on a bit each season, gradually becoming more expansive in our play. Its a long term, sustainable strategy we need, not gung-ho tactics as some on here would seem to prefer. I believe Hughton can achieve that for us...

[quote user="Mellow Yellow"]Even if this patchy form continued we would finish on about 42 points. If we improve, as I think we will, then more points and premier league consolidation is distinctly possible. We can then buy better players and move on a bit each season, gradually becoming more expansive in our play. Its a long term, sustainable strategy we need, not gung-ho tactics as some on here would seem to prefer. I believe Hughton can achieve that for us...
[/quote]

IF, IF IF.

I think if i was offered 42 points now I''d take it. I feel with the signings we have made we are pushing to have a strong team next season. Feels like a season of transition, lots of Lambert''s players have been forced out now and many of the foreign players are in their first season in the PL with the club. RVW, Hooper, Redmond, Fer will all improve next season, meaning that we will have a better strike force without even signing anyone. Always liked the long term approach in football. We have possibly signed too many/got rid of too many this season for us to have a good sustained season this season but i think our long term looks good. There isn''t a single player in our team that is at their peak (Possibly with the exception of Bassong, Turner and Elmander) so they will all be improving and gelling with the new players.I can''t be the only Norwich fan to think the long term future of the first team is good? Within the next couple of years we also have the potential of a couple of the FA Youth Cup team coming through. It''s always nice to see some of the academy coming through.

I would absolutely agree with Mellow Yellow, but I would add that we''ve only played Spurs from the big 6. Lets see how the points per game stats look at 4.50pm on October 19th.

I think you talk perfect sense Master. The long term future of the whole football club has been improved over the last year and will continue to improve under the present management. Look at the category one academy and all the improvements at Colney. I get the impression that Chris Hughton was appointed with the long term future of the club in mind. I believe Hughton influences the whole football structure and not just the first team. And of course Ricky Martin''s role has changed in the academy too reflecting the structural changes that have been made. Paul Lambert was a different manager who did brilliantly for us. He concentrated on the short term success of the first team and his results speak for themselves. I believe we are now building on Lamberts legacy instead of what''s commonly viewed as replacing it. I''m really looking forward to next Tuesday and hearing David McNally, Chris Hughton and Ricky Martin talking about the clubs future.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mellow Yellow"]Even if this patchy form continued we would finish on about 42 points. If we improve, as I think we will, then more points and premier league consolidation is distinctly possible. We can then buy better players and move on a bit each season, gradually becoming more expansive in our play. Its a long term, sustainable strategy we need, not gung-ho tactics as some on here would seem to prefer. I believe Hughton can achieve that for us...
[/quote]

IF, IF IF.

[/quote]

Wiz, here''s some questions for you:

Is your signature there to wind people up? I know you have always enjoyed a bit of a wind up and get some argumentative responses, but do you really want to see McNally sack Hughton? And if he did who would you like to see replace him?

As for the 42 points Mellow Yellow, I feel we''ll get stronger as the season progresses and will finsih closer to the 50 point mark. I sense a decent run on the horizon.

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

IF, IF IF.

[/quote]

Wiz, here''s some questions for you:

Is your signature there to wind people up? I know you have always enjoyed a bit of a wind up and get some argumentative responses, but do you really want to see McNally sack Hughton? And if he did who would you like to see replace him?

As for the 42 points Mellow Yellow, I feel we''ll get stronger as the season progresses and will finsih closer to the 50 point mark. I sense a decent run on the horizon.

[/quote]

Being totally honest Jonzey, I never wanted him here in the first place, even more so Calderwood. I would prefer if it all workd out here for him, but his idea of football just isn''t mine (too cautious) if he does goes.................O''Neil would now be my choice.

Seeing the Wiz recommending O''Neil because CH is too cautious is highly amusing, checking out what other Club''s fans think, esp Villa and Sunderland the most recent Clubs he has managed. Here''s a very typical quote from a S''land fan site earlier this year - "We set up the same as most teams in the Premiership but the difference from the rest of them to us is we don''t do the simple jobs.   No high tempo.  No incisive passing. No fast pressing. No taking a gamble making runs in box". In my opinion Hughton has been seeking the most effective units across the Team, and the midfield of Tettey, Fer and Howson looks good, esp in the 4-3-3 formation we seem to be moving to. Can''t wait for Sunday to see how it works against Chelsea - a real good test.

While I respect Martin O''Neill''s past achievements as a manager I think he lacks the drive and desire now to do well at the top level.  At Sunderland he had a squad that was probably stronger than ours last year, but they were lucky to avoid relegation in the end.  Personally I think it would be a downwards move to replace Hughton with O''Neill.

TBH whenever anyone mentions a realistic candidate to replace Hughton I am either underwhelmed, or alarmed/amused.

Jonezy! you and OP are pretty much in agreement with each other. I make it 44 points if we continue at this rate which is both "about 42 points" and "closer to the 50 point mark". Yey

At this early stage of the season with few teams played it is very difficult to work out what the final points tally will be. Not until we have played each team home and away will we have a fair idea of an accurate tally

Yep, well that should go without saying. A mathematical exercise largely - but... puts things in a little perspective as to what has been achieved to date this season.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Not until we have played each team home and away will we have a fair idea of an accurate tally[/quote]

Yes we should have a reasonable idea by then.  Mind you, many on here still don''t understand that we could have lost our last 2 games and still been safe last season.

Hockey,

I feel that Palace and Sunderland already look pretty doomed, early days, yes but I don''t see much of a way out for either. My next bet will be that Hull stop getting points soon and find their way down there. I think this could be the opposite of a high points 17th place team. I think 36 will be enough to stay up this season.