Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Ricky VW v Iwan Roberts

Older fans may remember that when Iwan Roberts first arrived at City he really struggled to score but then, of course, eventually became a cult hero.  Good players don''t become bad players over-night and I''m sure RVW will score some goals for us once he has settled into the way of playing in the Premiership. 

Agree with all of that apart from a small point. Cult hero should read club legend.

Iwan was the first player I learned the name off, saw score, and actually met. brilliant player, and here''s hoping RVW beats his goal record (although I doubt he will stick around long enough :( )

I''m embarrassed to ask this but it is a serious question I''ve wondered about for a long time. Is Iwan pronounced YOU-un, like actor Ewan Bremner? If not, can someone write it out phonetically please?

Those even older fans should also be able to remember that the legend Martin Peters also too a little time to settle until he showed how he could impact the game. There should be absolutely no panic over RVW. 

That''s how most pronounce it HC. The Welsh probably say it differently. With loads of spittle involved no doubt.

The main difference is Iwan had an ankle problem when he first came here R.V.Hopeless hasn''t!

I predict Wiz and his binner brigade will be made to look very silly RE Van Wolfswinkel in the coming months. I for one can''t wait.

No Wiz, he has had a bad TOE!!

But seriously, even though I personally feel RVW needs to be moved to the bench for a few games to allow Hooper to start, I still fully believe he will cut it at this level, and also am clear that his performances to date really havnt been as bad as some are making out. He could well be used later in a game, notch a winner and then be on a roll for the rest of the season.......these things happen and it really wouldnt surprise me and many others.

This is no Jim Blair situation....remember him?

[quote user="splutcho"]I predict Wiz and his binner brigade will be made to look very silly RE Van Wolfswinkel in the coming months. I for one can''t wait.[/quote]

So predictable.

Iwan is my all time favorite player... He single handedly kept us in the championship in the early days.

I think it was the 98/99 season we scored 48 goals all season and Iwan grabbed 23 of them!!!!

god knows where we would have ended up (And even be now) without him.

It is a long season and we aren''t far into it. 
There is plenty of time for Ricky to catch up in terms of goals. 
In fact our very own Grant Holt was written off at this stage in our Championship season, and then again in our Premier League season. In both those seasons he finished top scorer and player of the season.
He left it a bit late to find his form last season, obviously. 
Strikers are the most difficult players to bed into a team. Especially if you have wingers who steal penalties off them. 
Go and look at how long it took Van Persie to master this division. In the meantime, whilst RVW is working out how to boss the league, we have Hooper who is probably a bit more ready, and Elmander who will chip in with a few goals with his head this season. 

[quote user="First Wizard"]The main difference is Iwan had an ankle problem when he first came here R.V.Hopeless hasn''t![/quote]

To all those who are close to throwing something at their computer when they read this...

...remember the Wizard''s mind changes direction like a weather vane. I''ve been ''reading'' him since the day he stepped on to this forum, and learned to enjoy his missives in a way, a bit reading headlines in the Express when you''re at the newstand - you know it''s laughable nonsense, and you do laugh!

So before the paper weight does any damage to your monitor, take a deep breath, and know that he will eat his words on this, as he has eaten his words on just about every topic he has written about on here in over ten years!  Good ''ol Wiz!

I started feeling sorry for Wiz because of all the grief he gets. Then he writes that to remind me why.......

[quote user="Herman "]I started feeling sorry for Wiz because of all the grief he gets. Then he writes that to remind me why.......[/quote]

I accept I was a tad harsh on RVW Herman...........but I did expect a little more from him than whats been seen so far...he has missed several good chances.

Haha that''s mental... Several good chances eh? Yeah write him off, on the scrap heap. Lets give it a season perhaps.

Waveney, I called you out on another thread for hoping we lose to Chelsea. You said it. Now, because I wasn''t in England during thesoccer season for any of the ones when Roberts played for us and therefore never heard his name pronounced, I''m a plastic?

Look at my avatar, bozo. That''s my front door. That''s one of many NCFC regalia I have at home, work, on my car and in my and my boys'' wardrobe. I''ve been a die hard fan since 1972.

You hope we lose on Sunday so you can be proven correct. That''s your claim. You''re a toad.

Association football, commonly known as football or soccer, is a sport played between two teams of eleven players with a spherical ball. It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries, making it the world''s most popular sport.[1][2][3][4] The game is played on a rectangular field with a goal at each end. The object of the game is to score by using any part of the body besides the arms and hands to get the football into the opposing goal.

There''s nothing wrong with calling it Soccer, Sky call two of thier programmes Soccer AM & Soccer Saturday and no-one comnplains about it.

On the opposite scale of things, David Neilsen scored 5 in his first 5 games then couldn''t hit a barn door after that. Rather have RVW grow into his role at the club than have him judged on goals in his first 6 games.

[quote user="Reverend Timothy Smallpiece"]Sorry, but it''s football. Don''t care what Sky call the drivel they churn out.[/quote]

But why do you think its OK to criticise someone for using a correct name thats perfectly acceptable to many people?

Look at Rickys record after 15 games, that''s more statistically valid then.

If he scores a brace next game (I know, IF) then he''s on 3 goals from 7 games and is suddenly world class. I merely state that to show how premature these arguments are.

The fact of the matter is, we''re only likely to score about 45 league goals this season as opposed to 90 odd when winning the championship. This means our top scorer will be getting between 10 and 15 goals as opposed to between 20 and 30.