Sign in to follow this  
StewB

Travel to the game on Sunday

[Apologies if this has been covered in another thread.  I did look/search for this elsewhere, but couldn''t see anything.]As someone who travels to home games from Cambridgeshire, it''s just struck me that there could be some fun and games getting to the game on Sunday both for away fans and home fans from outside of Norfolk.Firstly, the A11 is going to be closed Northbound at the Fiveways roundabout all weekend as part of the works to dual the A11.  This is probably going to cause some serious disruption as everyone is forced to take a diversion.Secondly, the Greater Anglia (GA) mainline train service from London Liverpool Street to Norwich is closed between Ipswich and Norwich on Sunday, with a bus replacement service.  There''s also other lines closed on Sunday, like Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds, which will create more congestion on the lines which remain open.The game on Sunday is a 1.30pm kick-off, and trains aren''t at their best on Sundays at the best of times.  It''s worth noting that GA seem to have stuck on a couple of extra trains on Sunday.  There''s a ''fast'' service from Cambridge to Norwich at 10:28, stopping only at Ely and a return at 16:00 from Norwich to Cambridge, stopping again only at Ely.  I suspect these will be pretty busy with both home and away fans using them.  The normal trains which run on a Sunday are also likely to be more busy as a result of all this, especially as there aren''t many that run early enough to catch the start of the game.Worth making your plans now if you haven''t already and you''re coming to the game from further afield.SB

Good on ya for sharing this information. Not having to travel myself I wouldn''t have known any of that (other than there''s nearly always line closures on a Sunday) so even you''ve alerted just one person to check and reschedule their plans, then you''ve achieved your good deed for the day :)

Diversion is A11 towards Bury St Edmunds and take A140 up into Norwich.  Info on Internet search Fiveways diversion.

I think it''s the A14 towards Bury St Edmunds.Link to the HA site is here with details of diversions for the A11 in October.  Click on the "Journey Impact" tab on the page.I wonder how many Chelsea fans will know about this before they charge up the M11/A11 or head towards the train station!SB

Usually an alternative route is the A1065 up through Brandon then turning right but that''s closed too I believe.   A friend of mine says he''s turning off the A14 at Cambridge and taking the A10 then A47 - which may avoid diverted traffic and away supporters